Sheffield Shield Final: SA v VIC @ Gilderol Stadium, Glenelg

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Vics, SA had their chances to really make a big score with the bat but their very inexperienced line-up batting line-up will learn to make big scores and bat for longer periods.

Congratulations to Victoria on winning the Shield away from home.

Congrats to Handscomb , Dean and Stoinis on your innings. Weatherald and Ross can hold their heads up for SA.

Hold your head up Jon Holland you bowled well and took your chances. Worral for SA bowled his heart out.

What went wrong? The decision after winning the toss didn't help. The system is designed that you should only bat once. The pitch and conditions were designed that you bowled Day 1. The selection of 4 bowlers was designed to bowl on Day 1. Let Victoria set the total. They had to get SA out twice so needed to declare early or get out early. The loss of Sayers hurt SA terribly. The non-selection of a front line spinner in hindsight hurt. But I guess we believed so much in our pace attack to take wickets on the 1st day ohhh :$

But full credit to Victoria on capitalizing on this and batting well and in partnerships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to all the Vics - Handscombe, Dean and Holland in particular.

It's a shame their performances will be overshadowed by Mick Lewis and his pathetic cheating. I just feel sick about that and I can't really enjoy the win as I should.

Good season for the Redbacks overall, finally getting rid of some deadwood like Cooper and Ludeman and bringing in new talent such as Lehmann, Weatherald, Carey etc. Having Ferg out there would have been nice, but he will be a good addition next season. Losing Sayers didn't help either, and we need to recruit a spinner to compliment Zampa as he gets more international duties.

Good season for the Redbacks overall, finally getting rid of some deadwood like Cooper and Ludeman and bringing in new talent such as Lehmann, Weatherald, Carey etc. Having Ferg out there would have been nice, but he will be a good addition next season. Losing Sayers didn't help either, and we need to recruit a spinner to compliment Zampa as he gets more international duties.
Take Muirhead. Don't want CV to continually * his development up.

Zampa doesn't turn the ball enough to playing anything other than T20, I've thought that for a long time and I'm yet to be convinced otherwise.

Great win, I said at the start if any team was ever going to lose a home final it would be South Australia!

They had their tactics totally wrong and maybe we should commend them for looking for the win but it cost them the title in the end. There was a lot of talk pre game about South Australia's aggressive style and lack of experience could hurt them and it did in the end.

But great from a Victorian perspective given Handscomb and Dean were out of form and White has come from nowhere to play 2 crucial knocks in a row plus the return of Jon Holland to the spinners ranks made a big difference. If we played another quick in Hollands place I reckon we would have lost.

Back to Back You Beauty!

Now for next season move on Ahmed, Ian Holland to play from round 1 in place of Christian. He has been fine for us but he is 33 and its time to pick the future. If Christian wants to hang around as backup then keep him. Hopefully White sticks around even if he isn't guaranteed a spot.

They had their tactics totally wrong and maybe we should commend them for looking for the win but it cost them the title in the end. There was a lot of talk pre game about South Australia's aggressive style and lack of experience could hurt them and it did in the end.

This frustrates me the most. Its like 12 yr olds going out for the big tonk from the first ball. Settle down build an innings like Handscomb and Dean. There was a lot of criticism and have a go ya mugs about the slow play but it was exactly the thing to do. Grr be aggressive when you have the experience and confidence to go for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back