Final Table

Position | Team | Matches | Wins | Draws | Losses | Bonus Points | Total Points
\1| Victoria |10|7|1|2|17.31|60.31
\2| South Australia |10|5|0|5|17.24|47.24
\3|Western Australia|10|5|0|5|15.48|45.48
\4|New South Wales|10|4|3|3|17.60|44.60
\5|Queensland|10|4|1|5|16.53|41.53
\6|Tasmania|10|1|3|6|10.64|19.64

The two teams had vastly contrasting lead up to this match. Going into the final round of the season, the Bushrangers had already earnt the right to host the final and proceeded to demolish Queensland by an innings and 11 runs. The Redbacks on the other hand looked in trouble in the first 2 days against cellar dwellars Tasmania but overcame a first innings deficit of 107 runs to eventually comfortably win by 193 runs. In addition, they had to watch nervously as NSW fell 6 runs short in an improbable last day 400 run chase.

The Vics won both of their clashes this season, by 5 wickets at the MCG in November and the return clash by 124 runs in Adelaide Oval during February.

VIC XII

• Cameron WHITE (C)
  • Fawad AHMED
  • Scott BOLAND
  • Dan CHRISTIAN
  • Travis DEAN
  • Aaron FINCH
  • Seb GOTCH (+)
  • Marcus HARRIS
  • Jon HOLLAND
  • James PATTINSON
  • Rob QUINEY
  • Chris TREMAIN
In: Fawad Ahmed
Out:

In the only other match played at Traeger Park in Round 9, the Vics went with the second spinner in Fawad Ahmed at the expense of Boland.

SA XIII
  • Travis HEAD (c)
  • Tom ANDREWS
  • Alex CAREY (+)
  • Tom COOPER
  • Johnathon DALTON
  • Callum FERGSUON
  • Jake LEHMANN
  • Joe MENNIE
  • Kane RICHARDSON
  • Chadd SAYERS
  • Jake WEATHERALD
  • Daniel WORRALL
  • Adam ZAMPA
In: Richardson, Andrews
Out:

Richardson withdrew from the squad to face Tasmania with back soreness and his replacement Mennie took a game high 9 wickets in his absence. With fellow quick Worrall also taking 7 wickets in that match, it will be a tough call on whichever fast bowler misses out.

Weather
  • Sunday 23-39 Partly cloudy
    partly-cloudy.png
  • Monday 24-39 Possible shower of storm (30%)
    storm.png
  • Tuesday 19-34 Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower
    partly-cloudy.png

• Wednesday 17-34 Sunny
    sunny.png
  • Thursday 16-33 Sunny
    sunny.png

Would be surprised if Richardson was in the team.
Wouldn't be surprised if Ahmed was in the team.

:)
Well given he's 7th on the wicket takers list and second for South Australia...

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Well given he's 7th on the wicket takers list and second for South Australia...
Because Joe Mennie missed 4 games due to a serious injury and Daniel Worrall missed the first half of the year after getting back stress fractures. Coincidentally they occurred when he joined the Australian team.

What about his average? He's played a few more games than Mennie and Worrall.
26. Same as Worrall, a higher economy rate but lower strike rate. Mennie outperforms him in all three.

So I'd have Richo for Worrall.

SA to send Vics in first in the hope of getting them out for a low score, SA bat for 3 days building a big score then skittle the Vics on the last day for the glorious win.

Any score by Victoria above 400 puts this game out of reach for SA.

I agree that they'd have to send the Vics in if they win the toss but geez it's risky, game could effectively be over after a day if the Bushrangers bat well.

I agree that they'd have to send the Vics in if they win the toss but geez it's risky, game could effectively be over after a day if the Bushrangers bat well.
SA could be on the back foot early if they bat on day one and bat to their 2016/17 type.
The onus is on them really, they have to win, as such they have to do everything really well for 5 days. Can they?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
26. Same as Worrall, a higher economy rate but lower strike rate. Mennie outperforms him in all three.

So I'd have Richo for Worrall.

Might depend on the wicket. I think Worrall is more of a swing bowler and Richo is more of a seamer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Win the toss bat first. Rule one of every final.
If you are the home team yes. But the rules mean the away team has to look for ways to win rather than not lose.

If SA bat 1st and bat for 2 days for 500. Victoria only need to bat for a day and a half and pass the follow on score. SA then need to judge the declaration because they have to get Victoria out twice.

Might depend on the wicket. I think Worrall is more of a swing bowler and Richo is more of a seamer.
Richo is a better bowler so go with him
If you are the home team yes. But the rules mean the away team has to look for ways to win rather than not lose.

If SA bat 1st and bat for 2 days for 500. Victoria only need to bat for a day and a half and pass the follow on score. SA then need to judge the declaration because they have to get Victoria out twice.
If SA bat first and bat for 2 days they'll make 650-700. You have to have runs on the board in a final. If Head wins the toss and bowls he's already lost it.

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The way SA bat if they bat for 2 days 1. It's be a miracle & 2. They'd have over 700

There was some juice in the pitch last game up there bat WA then flattened out. But I expect it will be very flat to start this time. If so still have to bat first and hope the pitch wears enough on day 4 & 5 to take wickets. If Vic play 2 spinners can't let them bowl last

SAs batting is still the big worry. Someone needs to play a gem of an innings. At least the top 3 is a bit more stabilised than a month ago

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If SA bat first and bat for 2 days they'll make 650-700. You have to have runs on the board in a final. If Head wins the toss and bowls he's already lost it.
The playing conditions don't help the away side ( not complaining) and you have to think outside the square.

From memory SA lost last years Shield by not scoring enough in the 2nd innings. I think I posted at the time I would have sent the Vics in because then you make the away team set the pace of the game knowing they have to get 20 wickets to win.

Even this game SA has to have enough firepower and time to get those wickets. We don't have the spinners to tell Victoria to survive twice on the last 3 days. Our chance is at knocking over the wickets early Day 1. Sure its a gamble but the away side has to gamble.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Definitely feel like Richardson adds an extra dimension that none of the mid-130s nibblers that make up the rest of SA's pace battery bring. Especially on a slow pitch that doesn't offer a ton of bounce.

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Definitely feel like Richardson adds an extra dimension that none of the mid-130s nibblers that make up the rest of SA's pace battery bring. Especially on a slow pitch that doesn't offer a ton of bounce.
The last time SA had all 4 quick fit and available & played zampa (Rd 2 I think) Richardson was the one to miss, since then he's been super reliable

Sayers has to play, Mennie has to play. It's a tough call between the other 2 Richos inswing offers something a bit different to Worrall but it's a 50/50 call.

The game will be won / lost with SAs batting, they need to score enough to give their bowlers a chance to bowl aggressively & rest up between innings.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Horses for courses. Sayers, Mennie and Worrall are all too similar and too slow. If you take a bunch of medium pacers to Alice you'll struggle to take 20 wickets IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back