Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw, equal number of bonus points

• Tie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Davis should have been selected years ago. If his name as Lehmann he would have been.
I know we lost 3 for not much at the end, but at least the middle and lower order valued their wickets.

McInerney 12 & 13
Weatherald 37 & 0
Lehmann 0 & 2

Sounds familiar? It should, it's been going on all season.
I don't mind playing McInerney as a new young player, the other 2 however.......

Satisfying to drive the final nail in a winless season.

In all seriousness SA have been s**t for most of the last 20 years.
Something clearly isn't working and a large broom is needed to sweep through the place.
The broom has been through many many times. There just isn't the talent and the coaching structure is clearly wrong.

Kids come into the system and score runs early, then fall away. Head and Carey being the exceptions.

I think Grade cricket needs changing.

SA did make the Shield final 2 or 3 years ago didn't they ? Feels like a lifetime ago now.

Prior to that, Redbacks won 5 wooden spoons in 6 years. Twice in the final, then back to bottom 2 years in a row. They haven't won a shield since 1995-96. Since then, in 23 years, they've won 12 wooden spoons, finished 5th twice, finished 4th on four occasions, 3rd three times, and 2nd twice.

The broom has been through many many times. There just isn't the talent and the coaching structure is clearly wrong.

Kids come into the system and score runs early, then fall away. Head and Carey being the exceptions.

I think Grade cricket needs changing.

In my time in Grade cricket, we must have had at least 5 Redbacks coaches who came in, saw the problems with the structure and tried unsuccessfully to change it. Too many obstacles to prevent them doing their job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my time in Grade cricket, we must have had at least 5 Redbacks coaches who came in, saw the problems with the structure and tried unsuccessfully to change it. Too many obstacles to prevent them doing their job.
In terms of Grade cricket clubs thinking they are a bit too important ??

Harris 41* and 1000 runs this season. Last was Voges in 2014-15.

In the other match, Wade on 34* needs to get to 44 to also get to 1000 runs for the season.

Last edited:
Harris out for 65, then Pucovski for 0.

Vics 2-131 needing just 35 more runs.

Harris finishes on 1024 runs.

so changes for the final vs NSW? obviously Boland will replace Fekete and White will come back into the squad/XI.
If Maddinson is fit:

Dean
Harris
Pucovski
Maddinson
White
Short
Gotch
Pattinson
Tremain
Boland
Holland

Siddle extremely unlucky. If not, Siddle slides into 9 and everyone moves up one.

In terms of Grade cricket clubs thinking they are a bit too important ??

Well, I'm not close to the scene these days, but when I was involved, there was a push to encourage clubs to merge. Two clubs Sturt and Glenelg were treating it as a serious option and were working towards it, but most other clubs wouldn't entertain the idea, so it was shelved.

Most Redbacks coaches knew the talent was spread too thin, and grade games weren't providing the competition to prepare players for 1st class cricket. They saw how ridiculous it was having an uneven team competition, thus creating a bye. We saw a ridiculous situation where a state player was sent back to his grade team to regain form, only for him to sit on his backside for 2 weeks while his team had the bye.

They also saw the folly in having one club with no junior programme, and surviving by taking players from other clubs. However, there were some very influential people in the SACA who were tied to that club and ensured they wouldn't be touched.

There was some very 19th century thinking going on, and while other states pushed ahead, SA just meandered along with no real plan for future development. I am guessing a lot of that still goes on today. Certainly the Redbacks' results over the past 20 years are a clear indication they have not been working in the right direction.

that's not a risk I'm willing to take for the final.
There are 11 fit players who deserve to play in the final: Dean, Harris, Pucovski, Short, White, Gotch, Pattinson, Tremain, Siddle, Boland, Holland

But I'm not sure that it's our best XI. Bring in another bat (Harper/Vines) and leave out an unlucky bowler (Siddle?).

Tough call.

Back