Sheffield Shield Round 2: Western Australia vs New South Wales, Gladys Elphick Park, 19-22 Oct 2020, 11 AM AEDT

More points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

CakeEater

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
4 tons including a double is good going before hes 21.

I always thought turner had potential- but he has some technical flaws to work through

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
The Championship
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Struggling to remember the last time Turner made runs. Thought I read somewhere that he was dropped for Short this game?

How good is Cameron Green though? Who would've been the last Australian to have 4 FC tons by 21?
Will Pucovski, all of 12 months ago.

Before that, at a guess, Renshaw?

The Falcon Strike

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing to be gained for WA here but two points. Reckon they'll bat on or get bowled out.
2 points for a first innings lead isn't a thing in Shield cricket anymore I don't believe

You get rewarded for runs and wickets in the first innings made/taken in the first 100 overs.

So I don't see a reason to keep batting.

Let them set a lead of 350 off 85 overs and see how we go.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
2 points for a first innings lead isn't a thing in Shield cricket anymore I don't believe

You get rewarded for runs and wickets in the first innings made/taken in the first 100 overs.

I knew about the shifting formula, didn't realise it completely eliminated the reward for a first innings lead.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
I knew about the shifting formula, didn't realise it completely eliminated the reward for a first innings lead.
They essentially changed it for this exact situation. So teams wouldn't worry about the 1st innings and would try and make a game of it by declaring early or at least trying to pick up the run rate to give themselves a chance to bowl the other team out on the final day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
The Championship
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

But instead they come up with an impenetrable formula that no-one understands.

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
The Championship
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
.1 pts for each wicket in the first 100 overs
.01 pts for each run over 200 in the first 100 overs.

It doesn't seem too complex?
Any system that requires a calculator is too complex for the average fan. If you look at the table at any moment and can't immediately answer the question "what will it take for my team to move up a spot?", I call that impenetrable for most people.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
They essentially changed it for this exact situation. So teams wouldn't worry about the 1st innings and would try and make a game of it by declaring early or at least trying to pick up the run rate to give themselves a chance to bowl the other team out on the final day.
Hasn't really worked out here ;)

Remove this Banner Ad