Sheffield Shield Round 3: Queensland v SA @ 'Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure of whether you realise hes only played the 2nd game, and that SA bowled Tassie out twice for under 390 runs in that game? Before tea on the third day. With the first 10 coming on day 1.

Zampa is well and truly in the frame for our 2nd choice spinner. Mind you that's not saying much as our spinning stocks haven't been so poor in a long time.
Not sure if you realise, but he was dropped for the first game of the summer. 2 wickets in a game and he's the second best spinner in the country? Give me a spell.

Jon Holland has 11 wickets @ 15 this season. Agar has 13 wickets @ 18 this season. Somerville has only played the one game and has taken 9 wickets @ 14 this summer. Currently Zampa is lucky to be playing atm.

Not sure if you realise, but he was dropped for the first game of the summer. 2 wickets in a game and he's the second best spinner in the country? Give me a spell.

Jon Holland has 11 wickets @ 15 this season. Agar has 13 wickets @ 18 this season. Somerville has only played the one game and has taken 9 wickets @ 14 this summer. Currently Zampa is lucky to be playing atm.
He wasn't dropped, he was left out because we were playing at the WACA. Not the first spinner that's been left out there. One game where Zampa averages 50 but his team wins by over an innings isn't much of an indication as to his form. He's our 1st choice ODI spinner for a reason.

It's a whole other discussion, but Jon Holland is one of the worst bowlers in this country. Having watched him closely at the Strikers and Redbacks he is the definition of pie chucker, and the worst player to have played for Australia in a long time.

He wasnt dropped. They played 4 quicks at the WACA. You pick your team for the conditions. Only got to bowls a few overs in the last game.

That being said he doesnt spin it enough for mine, lots of work to do

He wasn't dropped, he was left out because we were playing at the WACA. Not the first spinner that's been left out there. One game where Zampa averages 50 but his team wins by over an innings isn't much of an indication as to his form. He's our 1st choice ODI spinner for a reason.

It's a whole other discussion, but Jon Holland is one of the worst bowlers in this country. Having watched him closely at the Strikers and Redbacks he is the definition of pie chucker, and the worst player to have played for Australia in a long time.
He was fit, played the last game for SA, and didn't play the next game. That is literally the definition of being dropped. He has a career FC average of 50. He hasn't taken a 5-fa in his career.

Jon Holland is also a better bowler than Zampa. He's in better form, and is probably the 2nd in line spinner in the country.
He wasnt dropped. They played 4 quicks at the WACA. You pick your team for the conditions. Only got to bowls a few overs in the last game.

That being said he doesnt spin it enough for mine, lots of work to do
He played the Shield Final. He didn't play the next game. He was fit. Therefore dropped.

Go Matt Renshaw! He passes 50 (3 sixes off Zampa), as he and Usman take the Bulls past 150. Looks good batting conditions at moment.

This is why all that "play your natural game" stuff is BS. Renshaw ground out something like 20 off 100 balls early on, now he's cashing in on the hard work and gone at nearly a run-a-ball since. By the end, he'll probably have a very respectable strike-rate.

He destroyed us in the Shield final

Not test quality admittedly but he's a solid Shield tweaker. Better four day bowler than Zampa IMO.

This is why all that "play your natural game" stuff is BS. Renshaw ground out something like 20 off 100 balls early on, now he's cashing in on the hard work and gone at nearly a run-a-ball since. By the end, he'll probably have a very respectable strike-rate.

Strike rates should mean SFA anyway. What does Alistair Cook go at, maybe 42 or so per 100 balls...I hear he's doing okay.

In real terms that is Renshaw's natural game.

Natural game has somehow become a pseudonym for scoring fast. Every player is different and should play to their strengths.

100 for Ussie. Go on with it now son.

Love to see him really grind SA into the dust now. One of the only things missing from his game is that killer instinct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classy 100 by Khawaja, safe to say hes stitched up that number 3 spot still for Adelaide if there was even a slight bit of doubt.

Also strange they gave Sayers such as extended time out of the attack.

Rehshaw's batting is almost Misbah-esque at times, blocks a lot of balls back but when he hits them, they stay hit.
And as I say that, Khawaja somehow loses his wicket to Benton (who looks just as average as advertised).

Khawaja is a bit Mark Waugh esque. Looks a million dollars but (i fear) doesn't have the mongrel required to be a truly great test batsmen.

Seems to lose concentration when he gets to 85 or so. Needs to really learn to re-focus.

Khawaja is a bit Mark Waugh esque. Looks a million dollars but (i fear) doesn't have the mongrel required to be a truly great test batsmen.

Good comparison. Also enjoys the flat Aussie wickets.

Just going off score updates, but liking the way Renshaw has ground out this innings.

He isn't limited either in his stroke play. Thought he was a bit of a plodder but has really opened up his game nicely. Plays nice and straight too when required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back