Shield Sheffield Shield Round 4: Victoria vs Western Australia, Karen Rolton Oval, 8-11/11/2020 @ 11:30 AM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t understand how Pattinson and Cummings are allow to play in the IPL, if they have Australian contracts

$ lots of money, check Cummins deal, he wouldnt make that in 6 years in Aus, took 6 weeks in the IPL.

The Kolkata Knight Riders purchased Cummins for the record sum of 15.5 Crore (approximately $AU 3.2 million) at December’s IPL auction after an intense bidding war with the Royal Challengers Bangalore and the Delhi Capitals. The previous highest IPL bid for an overseas player was English all-rounder Ben Stokes, picked up by Pune in 2017 for $3 million.

Hard to see Puck not being the #1 run scorer at the end of the round, could he be a chance to break the 1506 run season that Simon Katich had in 07/08?

Hard to see Puck not being the #1 run scorer at the end of the round, could he be a chance to break the 1506 run season that Simon Katich had in 07/08?

If he played the whole season he could get there, but won't the proposed South African tour overlap with the end of the Shield? That'll probably cost him unfortunately.

If he played the whole season he could get there, but won't the proposed South African tour overlap with the end of the Shield? That'll probably cost him unfortunately.
Yeah, and it depends on whether he can cash in against SA again

Someone might know. Are there any batsmen who have ever scored 3 consecutive double centuries in first class cricket?

I don’t think any batsman before the year 2000 got 3 roads in a row to bat on.

Mighty effort though and he looks an amazing talent. Hope they pick him in the test series.

If he gets selected along with Green, that is a brutally talented side, with a good mix of young and experienced heads.

Shades of the 90's side in all honesty given the strength of the bowling unit and the middle order.

India are in for a bit bother imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I don't get the "let's not blood two kids together"

Get them in there and see how they fare. At worst they go back to shield cricket and work on their flaws.
Well only one incumbant is failing atm. If Wade gets a ton tomorrow you can't really drop him, can you?

Well only one incumbant is failing atm. If Wade gets a ton tomorrow you can't really drop him, can you?

At what level do you count? When is international form discounted?

In the last test series one averages 25 with the bat and the other 28

If we take their averages from their return to the test arena - one averages 38 and the other 37

Overall in the test arena - one averages 31 and the other 38

FWIW - i've deliberately mixed them up - neither have compelling test cases. A high 30 average upon returning to cricket over the last 24 months is solid, but not compelling.

I'd back both Pucovcki and Green to be able to match that output - plus some.

At what level do you count? When is international form discounted?

In the last test series one averages 25 with the bat and the other 28

If we take their averages from their return to the test arena - one averages 38 and the other 37

Overall in the test arena - one averages 31 and the other 38

FWIW - i've deliberately mixed them up - neither have compelling test cases. A high 30 average upon returning to cricket over the last 24 months is solid, but not compelling.

I'd back both Pucovcki and Green to be able to match that output - plus some.
Wade has not performed poorly enough to justify getting dropped at this stage for me.

Wade has not performed poorly enough to justify getting dropped at this stage for me.

At international level - then neither has Burns given the similarity in their recent form, medium term form and overall career.

I would have thought encumbancy was more about your international form rather than your first class form.

At international level - then neither has Burns given the similarity in their recent form, medium term form and overall career.

I would have thought encumbancy was more about your international form rather than your first class form.
Not in International form, however Burns has 56 runs at 11 this season. The man most likely to replace him has 489 whilst only being dismissed once.

Not in International form, however Burns has 56 runs at 11 this season. The man most likely to replace him has 489 whilst only being dismissed once.

Agree completely - but isn't international form the main determinant?

Labuschagne could make 5 ducks in a row for QLD and still be picked. On Starc and Lyon's form for example - neither would get near the test side.

I appreciate their international form is significantly more compelling.

Personally I think Wade and Burns are middling talent at best. Not horrendous - but neither are going to be bedrocks.

Get in blokes who just might be. It may be harsh - but that is why it;s Test cricket

Agree completely - but isn't international form the main determinant?

Labuschagne could make 5 ducks in a row for QLD and still be picked. On Starc and Lyon's form for example - neither would get near the test side.

I appreciate their international form is significantly more compelling.

Personally I think Wade and Burns are middling talent at best. Not horrendous - but neither are going to be bedrocks.

Get in blokes who just might be. It may be harsh - but that is why it;s Test cricket
Both have to be weighed into it. However, if you can't make runs at domestic level, how are you going to against Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar et al

Both have to be weighed into it. However, if you can't make runs at domestic level, how are you going to against Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar et al

Perhaps the key to winning isn't more runs, rather an extra bowler to limit their runs and keep our bowlers fresher?

Again - i don't disagree on Burns - if Pucovski's head and health is right - get the lad in. It's not as though these are recent runs - his had previous form.

I just think Green is equally as compelling - if he can give us 8-10 overs a day - the flow on impact to the rest of our bowling attack is considerable. Not to mention the lad is making runs in the top order and under pressure. And not just on 2020/21 roads.

Perhaps the key to winning isn't more runs, rather an extra bowler to limit their runs and keep our bowlers fresher?

Again - i don't disagree on Burns - if Pucovski's head and health is right - get the lad in. It's not as though these are recent runs - his had previous form.

I just think Green is equally as compelling - if he can give us 8-10 overs a day - the flow on impact to the rest of our bowling attack is considerable. Not to mention the lad is making runs in the top order and under pressure. And not just on 2020/21 roads.
Against a Kohli-less India? If Wade or Head fail in the first couple of tests I'd absolutely do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back