Sheffield Shield Round 7: Tas v WA @ Blundstone

Remove this Banner Ad

WA went fine without a spinner in this match, and their next game is at the WACA, so they can probably get away with an all-pace attack again.

The next game onwards in Alice Springs (turning deck) will be where they'll need Short, Agar (if fit) or (gasp! because he's s**t) Liam O'Connor.
You know that he's part of the touring squad to india and not injured?

Yeah, somehow totally forget about that.

Don't really think he deserves to be there, though.
agree. I find him extremely overrated.

Tho he seemed to do well in the first half of the shield season. I don't think he will play any games but i wouldn't be surprised if they look at him as an All rounder.

agree. I find him extremely overrated.

Tho he seemed to do well in the first half of the shield season. I don't think he will play any games but i wouldn't be surprised if they look at him as an All rounder.

His Shield record this year (4 matches, 143 overs, 27.81 average, 53.63 strike rate, 3.11 economy rate) is extremely skewed by one big performance on a raging SCG turner (10/141 off 50.3 overs). Take that match out, and his figures (50.67 average, 92.50 strike rate, 3.29 economy rate) so far this year are actually pretty poor.

That SCG match is pretty much the only time he's taken wickets over the past two seasons as well. His figures last year (7 matches, 220 overs, 76.87 average, 146.67 strike rate, 3.15 economy rate) were rubbish too.

I still think he's another two or three good, consistent full Shield seasons away from being a proper regular Test option. He'd be better served being back in Australia right now playing out the current Shield season, than (possibly) not getting a game over in India.

His Shield record this year (4 matches, 143 overs, 27.81 average, 53.63 strike rate, 3.11 economy rate) is extremely skewed by one big performance on a raging SCG turner (10/141 off 50.3 overs). Take that match out, and his figures (50.67 average, 92.50 strike rate, 3.29 economy rate) so far this year are actually pretty poor.

That SCG match is pretty much the only time he's taken wickets over the past two seasons as well. His figures last year (7 matches, 220 overs, 76.87 average, 146.67 strike rate, 3.15 economy rate) were rubbish too.

I still think he's another two or three good, consistent full Shield seasons away from being a proper regular Test option. He'd be better served being back in Australia right now playing out the current Shield season, than (possibly) not getting a game over in India.
So true but cricket Australia clearly has favourites that pick them without really looking at their form in the domestic scene. Pat Cummins is one of them. Another player I would have liked to have seen overlooked for India is M.Marsh. There no denying that he's a very talented player and a good one day player but he should have been given the rest of the year to go back to WA and make runs and also work on his technique.

So true but cricket Australia clearly has favourites that pick them without really looking at their form in the domestic scene. Pat Cummins is one of them.

I get what you're saying overall, but Cummins is a poor example to use, at least in terms of his recent ODI selections. He was the co-leading wicket-taker in this year's Matador Cup, and then backed it up with good performances in the ODIs once selected. Deserved his spot, and did well once he got there. It's the exact pathway to international selection we should want and expect, format by format.

Another player I would have liked to have seen overlooked for India is M.Marsh. There no denying that he's a very talented player and a good one day player but he should have been given the rest of the year to go back to WA and make runs and also work on his technique.

Totally agree.

WA went fine without a spinner in this match, and their next game is at the WACA, so they can probably get away with an all-pace attack again.

The next game onwards in Alice Springs (turning deck) will be where they'll need Short, Agar (if fit) or (gasp! because he's s**t) Liam O'Connor.

Pretty pathetic calling O'Connor s**t and completely ignorant considering you've never seen him bowl outside of a T20.

Very comprehensive win and a pretty good performance all round. Behrendorff would seem likely to come in for Tye, however didn't bowl over the weekend as Subiaco-Floreat were chasing successfully (came in and smashed a quick 38 towards the end of the day).

In light of the struggles Maddinson and Ferguson have had since they were discarded from the Australian team, it's good to note Cartwright seems to have come out of the experience pretty positively. He'd be pretty close to being right in the frame for a middle order batting spot should one come up.

Pretty pathetic calling O'Connor s**t and completely ignorant considering you've never seen him bowl outside of a T20.

Very comprehensive win and a pretty good performance all round. Behrendorff would seem likely to come in for Tye, however didn't bowl over the weekend as Subiaco-Floreat were chasing successfully (came in and smashed a quick 38 towards the end of the day).

In light of the struggles Maddinson and Ferguson have had since they were discarded from the Australian team, it's good to note Cartwright seems to have come out of the experience pretty positively. He'd be pretty close to being right in the frame for a middle order batting spot should one come up.
Maddinson was thrown into the wolves and became an instant whipping boy. Cartwright had a decent game in Sydney and unlucky but that single game would have given him confidence. Now it's about turning 80s and 90s into 100s for him.

Cartwright gets Bailey plumb LBW with a dirty full toss. George just walked it was that bad.
Haha just the replay of this. Weirdly, his stance was normal for that ball.

There are no Tasmanian kids up to it really.

Far out though this has to be one of the worst Tasmanian sides in memory
would have been nice to see Jewell given an extended run in the team instead of being dropped. Geeves wrote a very good article about that.

So when is Dan Marsh getting the sack as Tassie coach? Team' has been heartless ever since he arrived....
Soon i hope. We have a new CEO of Cricket Tasmania and one of his firsts steps as the new boss was not re-signing D. Wrights contract for the Hurricanes. i remain hopeful that we will finally address the problems which first started years ago. (things like player development)

Maddinson was thrown into the wolves and became an instant whipping boy.
How many players over the years would have killed for the chance that Maddinson was given.

Plus I wouldn't want to be thrown into a wolf, that would be painful and embarrassing for all involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA have uncovered some great talent in the last 18 months. Does Whiteman come straight back in when fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back