Sheffield Shield Round 8: TAS v VIC @ Blundstone

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh well, every team has a stinker once in a while. Hopefully that is ours out of the way for the rest of the season!
I'm most disappointed that Aus A won....

He's only 32, isn't he? I think the perception of him is that he's finished because he's been around for so many years. Still has a lot to offer IMO.

He'll be 33 by next season, and I'm not sure why a new state would bring him in given that consideration. If you're weighing up whether to try out a 22 or 23 year old local who might play for the next 10 years or taking a veteran castoff like White from another state with limited time left, I think the question really answers itself 9 times out of 10 in a Shield context.

I'm not sure whether you read the other part of that sentence in my post as well? Relative to the way he was hyped for quite a long time, White has actually had a pretty disappointing career all things considered. In all likelihood, he's not going to do much for a new team even if they choose to recruit him anyway. Most people outside Victoria rate him a lot less highly than those inside (although that's true of just about every one of Victoria's players, to be fair).

He'll be 33 by next season, and I'm not sure why a new state would bring him in given that consideration. If you're weighing up whether to try out a 22 or 23 year old local who might play for the next 10 years or taking a veteran castoff like White from another state with limited time left, I think the question really answers itself 9 times out of 10 in a Shield context.

I'm not sure whether you read the other part of that sentence in my post as well? Relative to the way he was hyped for quite a long time, White has actually had a pretty disappointing career all things considered. In all likelihood, he's not going to do much for a new team even if they choose to recruit him anyway. Most people outside Victoria rate him a lot less highly than those inside (although that's true of just about every one of Victoria's players, to be fair).
But not all states have that 22 or 23 year old local though.

White has a FC average of above 40 at this point in time. There are only about a dozen others that can claim that in Australian cricket currently.

But not all states have that 22 or 23 year old local though.

I think they do.

Every state has underage/futures teams for a start, each of them with multiple promising young players potentially not far off state team selection. Then there are inevitably others on contract lists and state squads and in grade cricket to potentially choose from.

Look at it this way ... who would be the main beneficiary of White moving to another state? It's clearly White himself in this case, not whichever of the other states would even be interested for more than a moment's thought in having him anyway.

I think they do.

Every state has underage/futures teams for a start, each of them with multiple promising young players potentially not far off state team selection. Then there are inevitably others on contract lists and state squads and in grade cricket to potentially choose from.

Look at it this way ... who would be the main beneficiary of White moving to another state? It's clearly White himself in this case, not whichever of the other states would even be interested for more than a moment's thought in having him anyway.

So why would WA pick up a 32 year old Michael Klinger 3 years ago???

So why would WA pick up a 32 year old Michael Klinger 3 years ago???

Because WA probably thought he was in the best form of his career, still very capable of playing for Australia, with very good temperament under pressure, and a decent bloke and excellent leader from all accounts. Only a guess, but I'm assuming they would see someone like Cameron White very differently on most of those counts.

But of course we could pluck out various isolated examples, couldn't we? And we could also choose to ignore the very specific words of "in this case" that I used in reference to White.

Just like I could talk about Tasmania (as one example) specifically recruiting or adding to their team young players like Jake Doran, Ben McDermott and Tom Triffitt this season, and giving spots to others like Beau Webster. Queensland (as another) has brought in a heap of young players recently. In both cases, they clearly bring younger players into their team more often and more actively than ageing players from other states. As they should for this competition, and as the other states typically do too.

Last edited:
Doolan's first first-class hundred since early November 2013, this being his 27th match since then.

I was their & it was a relief for all when he finally got his ton. He has been a terrible let down for the last 2 years, considering how he looked before then.

Talk about a run of outs. It looked like he'd forgotten how to play the game!!

He needs to finish off the year well from now on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back