Sheffield Shield Round 9: WA v SA @ WACA

Remove this Banner Ad

He's actually only 21. How many batsmen have been picked for Australia before 21 of late?
Smith and Hughes in recent times. Hughes averaged 60 with 7 hundreds from memory, Smith averaged 56 and 4 hundreds. Head is no where near those two's numbers. Smith was 21, Hughes was 20.

Smith and Hughes in recent times. Hughes averaged 60 with 7 hundreds from memory, Smith averaged 56 and 4 hundreds. Head is no where near those two's numbers. Smith was 21, Hughes was 20.

When you ignore the bag of scores in the 90's Head has it helps you argument now doesn't it? "Head only has 2 hundreds, blah blah blah"

The fact that you needed to compare him to Hughes says a bit. He's record as a young batsmen is almost unrivaled, everyone's record is behind his not just Head.
??? It shows the type of record you need to be fast tracked like you are suggesting Head should be..

Even though they were young, they had earned it through runs.
Have you heard of Cameron Bancroft?
Was going to mention him but didn't as he's yet to make his debut. Comparing Bancroft to Head (because Bancroft's record is more human than the other two), Bancroft averages 40 with 7 hundreds. Then you got Head averaging 30 with 2 hundreds. He doesn't even compare to Bancroft who is probably the third guy behind those two in recent times, in terms of fast tracking into the test team.

This thread is worth reading to see a NSW fan complaining about bias in favour of another state.

Outstanding effort.:D
i've had to put up with it forever, it's so fun to be on the other side of it. (also a bunch of home games to close the season, a NSW home game literally gets moved to another county and the QLD fiasco and WA still can't get it done. For shame, Justin Langer.)

??? It shows the type of record you need to be fast tracked like you are suggesting Head should be..

Even though they were young, they had earned it through runs.

Was going to mention him but didn't as he's yet to make his debut. Comparing Bancroft to Head (because Bancroft's record is more human than the other two), Bancroft averages 40 with 7 hundreds. Then you got Head averaging 30 with 2 hundreds. He doesn't even compare to Bancroft who is probably the third guy behind those two in recent times, in terms of fast tracking into the test team.

Bancroft is a good young player as well. If you were to compare them I would say Bancroft has 7 hundreds and Head has 2, Head also has 5 shield 90's. Splitting hairs between two bright prospects.

And I'm not saying Head should be fast tracked, Head is being fast tracked.

Bancroft is a good young player as well. If you were to compare them I would say Bancroft has 7 hundreds and Head has 2, Head also has 5 shield 90's. Splitting hairs between two bright prospects.

And I'm not saying Head should be fast tracked, Head is being fast tracked.
Head should still be a fair way off test selection IMO. He is going to play some red ball cricket in England in the winter so will be interested to see how he performs. Obviously very young so I'm not ruling him out as a test cricketer at some stage, but not in the near future.

Head should still be a fair way off test selection IMO. He is going to play some red ball cricket in England in the winter so will be interested to see how he performs.

See to me his 5 Shield 90's when he was 20 yo and under are more meaningful (and impressive) to me than him coming back from England with an inflated FC average and a swag of FC hundreds added to his record.

It is important to learn against the swinging ball though, will be good for him.

See to me his 5 Shield 90's when he was 20 yo and under are more meaningful (and impressive) to me than him coming back from England with an inflated FC average and a swag of FC hundreds added to his record.

It is important to learn against the swinging ball though, will be good for him.
Scoring hundreds and a having a solid average over in England means much more than averaging 30 on Australian roads! Yeah he is young, but if he is only averaging 30 in the Shield, why would you fast track him into test cricket and expect anything other than a failure? Heck, Smith and Hughes failed first time around with their great records! Don't forget this guys home deck is the traditionally flattest wicket in Australia! A good campaign over in England and I'll start to take notice.

Again, not saying he won't play test cricket. I'm saying he shouldn't be fast tracked until/unless he stockpiles the runs. It is far too early for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scoring hundreds and a having a solid average over in England means much more than averaging 30 on Australian roads! Yeah he is young, but if he is only averaging 30 in the Shield, why would you fast track him into test cricket and expect anything other than a failure? Heck, Smith and Hughes failed first time around with their great records! Don't forget this guys home deck is the traditionally flattest wicket in Australia! A good campaign over in England and I'll start to take notice.

Again, not saying he won't play test cricket. I'm saying he shouldn't be fast tracked until/unless he stockpiles the runs. It is far too early for him.
Agreed. And theres better options already out there. Jake lehmann and bancroft for starters

Agreed. And theres better options already out there. Jake lehmann and bancroft for starters

With respect, that just proves to show how underrated Head is for someone his age.

Yes, Lehmann is one of the bright prospects on the domestic scene and has a great future but he is close to 24 years old. He's been held back, allowed to develop in grade cricket. Meanwhile Head has been thrown into the FC furnace and has impressed on many occasions, all before an older Lehmann had even debuted. Head is a 22 yo.

The way I see it, Head is ahead of Lehmann and still has 2 years up his sleeve, that's massive.

With Hogan gone next season I can see us using Rimmington more - Mackin if fit will be a good inclusion.

Rimmington is going to have to bowl a lot better than this. He's not really a Hogan replacement I don't think. Mackin has a future especially with his height and bounce.

There's generally two ways to get selected as a batsman for Australia. There are guys that get selected for Australia because they are 32 years old and average 50 in FC cricket and then there are guys who are groomed by Cricket Australia through the elite junior programs and A teams, they are picked for the future on talent shown, he is one of these guys.
What about being mates with or Mark Waughs Love Child?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back