Sheffield Shield TOTY: Half way point

So I've done the TOTW every week, and I suppose I could do something along the lines of "most TOTW mentions" but I feel that robs us of the consistent performers every week. Here is my halfway point team for the Sheffield Shield:

Nick Larkin
Marcus Harris
Shaun Marsh
Kurtis Patterson
Jake Lehmann
Tom Cooper
Matthew Wade (c, +)
Jhye Richardson
Joe Mennie
Chris Tremain
Scott Boland

Nick Larkin has finally found his feet at First Class level, his 494 runs this season has included two centuries, the equal most of any bat, and is averaging 45 with the willow this season.
Marcus Harris is equal second on the runs tally this season despite missing a game, and has the second highest average of anyone in the top 15 run scorers so far this season.
Shaun Marsh dominated in his time in the Shield, despite only 3 games he's 10th on the runs list and has the highest average of the top 15. Hard to leave him out of this side.
Kurtis Patterson has finally broken his 24 match run without a century and given the lack of middle order options in the runs tally he gets his opportunity here at 4, making 428 runs at 47.
Jake Lehmann has enjoyed a solid start to the season, averaging 46 so far this year with 1 ton and 3 fifties, the South Australian will be considered VC of this side.
Tom Cooper has had a very enjoyable first half of the season, being equal second on runs with Harris and also having 2 tons like Larkin (and Daniel Hughes, who was unlucky to miss out) meant he gets his spot in at 6 at this point in time. Will also be the primary spinner with his part time offies.
Matthew Wade. The man, the myth, the legend. Wade sits atop the runs list so far this season and has captained Tasmania in the past couple of games, also having the third highest average of the top 15. Deserves a test recall.
Jhye Richardson has enjoyed a good season with bat and ball, averaging 29 with the willow and taking 27 wickets at 19 so far this season. Will be opening the bowling.
Joe Mennie is 5th on the wicket takers list but I snuck him in ahead of Bird due to a lower average and economy rate whilst their strike rates are almost identical. Spots are very tight with the bowling
Chris Tremain is outright second on the wickets list this season, averaging 23 with the ball and having a very good strike rate also, the Victorian may get a test debut sometime soon
Scott Boland has been head and shoulders above any other bowler this season, with 36 wickets so far at 17 runs per wicket. Most wickets, best strike rate, lowest average,excellent economy rate. Right now he's my pick for the player of the Shield.

Unlucky: Joe Burns, Daniel Hughes, Moises Henriques, Jackson Bird, Mark Steketee

So left handers galore in the batting line up :p.

HLM*

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
So I've done the TOTW every week, and I suppose I could do something along the lines of "most TOTW mentions" but I feel that robs us of the consistent performers every week. Here is my halfway point team for the Sheffield Shield:

Nick Larkin
Marcus Harris
Shaun Marsh
Kurtis Patterson
Jake Lehmann
Tom Cooper
Matthew Wade (c, +)
Jhye Richardson
Joe Mennie
Chris Tremain
Scott Boland

Nick Larkin has finally found his feet at First Class level, his 494 runs this season has included two centuries, the equal most of any bat, and is averaging 45 with the willow this season.
Marcus Harris is equal second on the runs tally this season despite missing a game, and has the second highest average of anyone in the top 15 run scorers so far this season.
Shaun Marsh dominated in his time in the Shield, despite only 3 games he's 10th on the runs list and has the highest average of the top 15. Hard to leave him out of this side.
Kurtis Patterson has finally broken his 24 match run without a century and given the lack of middle order options in the runs tally he gets his opportunity here at 4, making 428 runs at 47.
Jake Lehmann has enjoyed a solid start to the season, averaging 46 so far this year with 1 ton and 3 fifties, the South Australian will be considered VC of this side.
Tom Cooper has had a very enjoyable first half of the season, being equal second on runs with Harris and also having 2 tons like Larkin (and Daniel Hughes, who was unlucky to miss out) meant he gets his spot in at 6 at this point in time. Will also be the primary spinner with his part time offies.
Matthew Wade. The man, the myth, the legend. Wade sits atop the runs list so far this season and has captained Tasmania in the past couple of games, also having the third highest average of the top 15. Deserves a test recall.
Jhye Richardson has enjoyed a good season with bat and ball, averaging 29 with the willow and taking 27 wickets at 19 so far this season. Will be opening the bowling.
Joe Mennie is 5th on the wicket takers list but I snuck him in ahead of Bird due to a lower average and economy rate whilst their strike rates are almost identical. Spots are very tight with the bowling
Chris Tremain is outright second on the wickets list this season, averaging 23 with the ball and having a very good strike rate also, the Victorian may get a test debut sometime soon
Scott Boland has been head and shoulders above any other bowler this season, with 36 wickets so far at 17 runs per wicket. Most wickets, best strike rate, lowest average,excellent economy rate. Right now he's my pick for the player of the Shield.

Unlucky: Joe Burns, Daniel Hughes, Moises Henriques, Jackson Bird, Mark Steketee

So left handers galore in the batting line up :p.
Not sure how you can’t find room for Lyon in this side. Clear stand out spinner in SS.

Not sure how you can’t find room for Lyon in this side. Clear stand out spinner in SS.
Because I felt the 4 seamers mentioned were more deserving. Which one would you drop for him?

HLM*

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Because I felt the 4 seamers mentioned were more deserving. Which one would you drop for him?
I’d replace Joe Mennie for Lyon. If you pick the side on merit and ignore the balance of the team than you’re probably right with your selections. Apart from Lyon I cant think of any other spinner who’s worthy of mention. It’s been a poor season collectively for them so far.

I’d replace Joe Mennie for Lyon. If you pick the side on merit and ignore the balance of the team than you’re probably right with your selections. Apart from Lyon I cant think of any other spinner who’s worthy of mention. It’s been a poor season collectively for them so far.
I'm going purely on merit. It'll be interesting to see the CA website one (probably uploaded tomorrow), I could almost do a second XI the spots are that tight

I disagree. There are 6 clear cut bowlers and they're all seamers.

Lyon with 20 at an average of 21.

Lyon’s returns as a bowler are equivalent to Smarsh’s as a batsman. Plus, it’s clear that the pitches are favouring seam over spin, making Lyon’s returns look even better. Should be picked. Otherwise the team’s a good one

Lyon’s returns as a bowler are equivalent to Smarsh’s as a batsman. Plus, it’s clear that the pitches are favouring seam over spin, making Lyon’s returns look even better. Should be picked. Otherwise the team’s a good one
The difference is the competition for batting spots is only really between the openers (Hughes/Larkin/Harris/Burns), a specialized position and the 5 middle order bats picked themselves because they were the only ones doing anything. In terms of bowling, there are clear cut seam candidates who have dominated in most matches. Lyon's average is around the mark of most of them, same with his strike rate and economy rate. Marsh's return as a batsman is clear cut better than everyone bar Wade, Lyon's is in a conglomerate of about 7 or 8.bowlers.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Neser? 312 runs at 52 and 13 wickets at 32.
Neser's been good but how do you fit him into the side? Someone in the lower middle order needs to make way, and Lehmann/Hughes/Cooper all have weight of runs.

Neser's been good but how do you fit him into the side? Someone in the lower middle order needs to make way, and Lehmann/Hughes/Cooper all have weight of runs.
Hughes has been opening but yes.

Don’t waste your breath, it’s a Victorian poster mate so take his TOTY opinion with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha I’m sure eth will be shattered you don’t approve.

Another ‘quality’ contribution

He had a 250*. That causes such a distortion of the stats that it should be taken into account.
Neser is 15th in runs though, and if we're including him as an all rounder his bowling hasn't been as good as say, Stoinis

Neser is 15th in runs though, and if we're including him as an all rounder his bowling hasn't been as good as say, Stoinis

Stoinis has played two matches.

Neser's fifties have been valuable, and he's been opening the bowling. He got Dean twice, Finch, Maxwell twice and Handscomb against Victoria, basically setting up their win. Man of the match in their win against Tasmania this round.

Stoinis has played two matches.

Neser's fifties have been valuable, and he's been opening the bowling. He got Dean twice, Finch, Maxwell twice and Handscomb against Victoria, basically setting up their win. Man of the match in their win against Tasmania this round.
Neser has 13 wickets at 32. Not good enough to include at 7 for me, especially when the ball has been so dominant this season.

Neser has 13 wickets at 32. Not good enough to include at 7 for me, especially when the ball has been so dominant this season.

Yes, you keep going back to the basic stats. That's not enough. He is the only all-rounder worth talking about, and four 50s means he's not too far behind the other pure batmen in the running for middle-order spots.

Back