Shield Sheffield Shield TOTY halfway point

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'll discontinue the TOTW because nobody is actually talking about it, which was why I started it in the first place. Batsmen will be assessed on runs, average, centuries and fifties. Bowlers will be assessed on wickets, average, strike rate and economy rate.

1. Alex Doolan. Doolan has the most runs of any opener this year with 478 at a solid average of 47.8, and has 2 centuries and one fifty, and as such was put slightly ahead of Jake Weatherald.
2. Nic Maddinson. The only player from the bottom side to make it, Maddinson has 448 runs at an average of 74.66 with one hundred and two fifties, he got ahead of Weatherald due to only having 11 less runs in 5 fewer innings', at a much higher average.
3. Shaun Marsh (c). Leading run scorer in the shield, high average and deserves captaincy to boot as has been captain in as many games as anyone else up for selection.
4. Tom Cooper. Second in runs, second highest average, bowls handy offies, an underrated cricketer for SA over the years.
5. Moises Henriques. Over 450 runs, good average, 2 tons, hard to ignore Moises at this stage.
6. Cameron Green. Over 400 runs at a boosted average due to not outs, Green has been a revelation with the bat this season, with 2 tons and a fifty. One to watch for the future.
7. Alex Carey (+). Has 85 more runs in 2 less games than the next best keeper, Carey has put his name front and centre to be the heir apparent to Tim Paine.
8. Cameron Gannon. Whatever you say about his action, he's second on the wicket taker tally with a great economy rate, so as such he deserves to be part of this side.
9. Jackson Bird. This guy just takes wicket after wicket after wicket. Leading wicket taker in the comp, could go down as one of the best wicket takers in Shield history (currently 25th)
10. Harry Conway. A character? Yes. But jeez he's broken out this summer, 21 wickets in 4 matches at an average of 12.42. Super season so far.
11. Wes Agar. How wrong were we about this guy? equal second on wickets, great average and economy rate. Only the one five-for but been ultra consistent.

The two most unlucky would be Chadd Sayers and Jake Weatherald. If you want a spinner it kinda has to be SO'K but he has 7 fewer wickets than Conway who had the least wickets of the four selected.

Surely you have to pick a spinner, I know none have been fantastic but still. Purely for balance alone.
It's a made up team. 6 bats/keeper/4 bowlers. No spinner deserved a place.

Thanks for compiling, haven't been following other results as much so was really good to see.
Bit of a shame that top 5, no obvious one could come in to the test team if we did have a vacancy.

Thanks for compiling, haven't been following other results as much so was really good to see.
Bit of a shame that top 5, no obvious one could come in to the test team if we did have a vacancy.
Maddinson?

It's a made up team. 6 bats/keeper/4 bowlers. No spinner deserved a place.

I’d have picked O’Keefe personally even if it meant leaving Conway out. These teams are subjective though WD giving it a crack

Maddinson?
Honestly I think Carey would be a better chance given Maddinsons mental health issues, I also suspect Shaun Marsh might get picked if a temporary injury replacement was required.
This is if we were only taking this squad into account for selection of course... There is still Khawaja and Bancroft who is around the mark for unknown reasons...

Respectfully I'd disagree with the selection of Cooper and Maddinson. The bulk of their runs came from the game at junction oval unlike Solway (262 runs @ 65.5) or Weatherald (459 runs @ 41.72). Solway bats as slow as a wet week but he's hard to get out. Also if 4 games is enough for Conway to make the team, then surely 4 games is enough for Neser to make the cut. Bird just misses out. My team at the halfway point would look like

1 Doolan
2 Weatherald (459 @ 41.72)
3 Solway (262 @ 65.5 SR of 35.21)
4 S.Marsh (c)
5 Henriques
6 Green
7 Carey
8 Neser (19 @ 19.31)
9 Conway
10 Gannon
11 W.Agar

12 O'Keefe Best performing spinner in a two horse race.
13 Maddinson Next best performing batsman who can bat anywhere in the top 6
14 Bird - Up there in the wickets column and taking them at less than 25
15 A.Agar - Purely as a batsman where his fielding gets him just ahead of Cooper.
16 Neville - Back up keeper as no one else is close to sticking their hand up.

On second thoughts, allow me to disagree with myself. Maddinson in, Weatherald into the contention for 12th man.

Worrying times when our best spinner in the country has 7 wickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who's the best spinner in the country?

Respectfully I'd disagree with the selection of Cooper and Maddinson. The bulk of their runs came from the game at junction oval unlike Solway (262 runs @ 65.5) or Weatherald (459 runs @ 41.72). Solway bats as slow as a wet week but he's hard to get out. Also if 4 games is enough for Conway to make the team, then surely 4 games is enough for Neser to make the cut. Bird just misses out. My team at the halfway point would look like

1 Doolan
2 Weatherald (459 @ 41.72)
3 Solway (262 @ 65.5 SR of 35.21)
4 S.Marsh (c)
5 Henriques
6 Green
7 Carey
8 Neser (19 @ 19.31)
9 Conway
10 Gannon
11 W.Agar

12 O'Keefe Best performing spinner in a two horse race.
13 Maddinson Next best performing batsman who can bat anywhere in the top 6
14 Bird - Up there in the wickets column and taking them at less than 25
15 A.Agar - Purely as a batsman where his fielding gets him just ahead of Cooper.
16 Neville - Back up keeper as no one else is close to sticking their hand up.
Weatherald has 11 more runs in 5 more innings' at a significantly lower average. Cooper not even in the top 16? That's simply incorrect, yes he made a lot of his runs in one innings but he still made 2 fifties as well as being second in runs.

Conway has the most wickets/innings in the comp, has the lowest average by a street, the best strike rate by a street. He made it impossible not to select him. It may be unfair on Neser but Bird is neck and neck with him in every stat bar wickets where he's 5 up.

Think we can take out all those runs at the Junction Oval first game though.

Maddinson did make runs in the next few games anyway deserves his spot
Why? Runs are runs. This is a team based on stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if you're picking best performing or best stats - performing can be stats but with context.

Sort of like I wouldn't pick Warner (probably) for a 2019 team of the year despite his stats being up there with any opener - I'd take someone who averaged a more consistent 45-50 than someone who averaged 9.9 in an away series and then got big runs v an awful attack. In context he did not have a good year.

I say probably because I don't know what other countries openers have done for the year and if no one else averages above 45 then yes it's hard to justify them over Warner, I'm talking about the guys who still have good stats but have just a lower average than him. More hypothetical I guess.

Wes Agar is also having a good year in the one dayers, he would be a good pick for a fantasy team.

Respectfully I'd disagree with the selection of Cooper and Maddinson. The bulk of their runs came from the game at junction oval unlike Solway (262 runs @ 65.5) or Weatherald (459 runs @ 41.72).

Taking that innings aside, Cooper has made 297 runs with a couple of 50s. Maddinson's also made some good scores of 69 & 59. You could actually argue Solway made a "bulk" of his runs with his 133 not out. Take that out and he's only made 129 runs.

The two most unlucky would be Chadd Sayers and Jake Weatherald. If you want a spinner it kinda has to be SO'K but he has 7 fewer wickets than Conway who had the least wickets of the four selected.
Nevill a bit unlucky. Carey the clear choice, but Phil is having a very good season.

Nevill a bit unlucky. Carey the clear choice, but Phil is having a very good season.
That he is, but the other two are unlucky in the sense that they're only a little bit (say, 50 runs/3 wickets) from making the side.

Given the reactions about not including a spinner for the halfway point I can't wait for everyone to melt after the last round when there's a 0% chance of me picking a spinner. There's no spinner in the top 20 wicket takers of the entire tournament. Bowling wise it's a race in 6 (well, 5 really, doubt Bird gets enough wickets at Junction to pass any of the 5 ahead of him).

Before the last game I'd probably have this as my team of the year:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
SMarsh
Henriques (c)
Green
Paine +
Neser
Siddle
Gannon
Bird

Keeper's an interesting one. Paine and Nevill are pretty similar in terms of stats. Carey is well out in front in terms of batting, but probably hasn't played enough games. Peirson has the most dismissals, but averages sub-30. Gotch has the most dismissals per innings and 2 centuries, but only played two games.

Before the last game I'd probably have this as my team of the year:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
SMarsh
Henriques (c)
Green
Paine +
Neser
Siddle
Gannon
Bird

Keeper's an interesting one. Paine and Nevill are pretty similar in terms of stats. Carey is well out in front in terms of batting, but probably hasn't played enough games. Peirson has the most dismissals, but averages sub-30. Gotch has the most dismissals per innings and 2 centuries, but only played two games.
I have Cooper instead of Hughes/Burns. Only 1 player has more runs, and the same player is the only one with more scores over 50.

I have Agar instead of Bird right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back