Shield Sheffield Shield TOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

With the season over I guess it's time to name the TOTY. This is heavily weighted on stats, remember.

1. Daniel Hughes (18 innings', 665 runs, average 44.33, 2 centuries, 3 fifties). Hughes vs Burns has been the hardest place to decide. More runs, more centuries vs a higher average? Went with the former. Hughes had an excellent season again for the eventual premiers, amassing runs consistently throughout the season.

2. Nic Maddinson (10 innings', 780 runs, average 86.66, 2 centuries, 5 fifties). This guy has to have booked himself a spot over to Bangladesh this year. Yes, a lot of his runs came on a road but he failed to reach fifty only 3 times this season and finished with the most runs despite nobody in the top 20 run scorers having fewer innings'.

3. Shaun Marsh (17 innings', 724 runs, average 48.26, 2 centuries, 3 fifties, c). Marsh showed that he's still up to the level this season, which may well be his last. Only player selected who has captained this year so he gets the captaincy.

4. Tom Cooper (15 innings', 765 runs, average 54.64, 1 century, 4 fifties). Yes, 274 of the runs came in the first round, but the fact remains that he still has the third best average of the top 20 run scorers, the second most runs, and the equal second most scores over 50. If he'd scored that 1 more run in his 99, does anybody question this selection? No.

5. Cameron Green (15 innings', 699 runs, average 63.54, 3 centuries, 1 fifty). Wow. What a whirlwind break out season with the bat for Green. Second highest average, 4th in runs, the most centuries of any player. Kid has game.

6. Moises Henriques (12 innings', 512 runs, average 51.2, 2 centuries, 1 fifty). Ah Moises, the one that many hate. Good, consistent season. I was somewhat tempted to have Burns open and not have Moises but the two centuries got him over the line.

7. Alex Carey (7 innings', 386 runs, average 55.14, 2 centuries, 1 fifty, +). Should I really select someone who only played 4 games? When the only keeper to score more runs only scored 25 more in 5 more games at a far inferior average and no centuries, the answer is yes. And given he would have played the last game I'm not sure if Nevill would have held on to that lead in runs.

8. Michael Neser (33 wickets, average 17.30, ER 2.39, SR 43.3). This guy is just so consistent. He's probably booked himself another test tour over to Bangladesh next season, his first class record is getting insanely good.

9. Peter Siddle (32 wickets, average 19.87, ER 2.28, SR 52.1). Just, how? Everyone thought he was cooked and then he comes out and produces a season like this. Main reason Victoria ended up second for me.

10. Cameron Gannon (38 wickets, average 20.92, ER 2.69, SR 46.5). Whether or not you think he's a chucker (I do, for the record), he's taken the most wickets this season and is averaging just over 20 runs per wicket. Has to be in here based on that.

11. Wes Agar (33 wickets, average 24.21, ER 2.74, SR 52.1). Wow, what a find for South Australia! They would have to have been nervous, thinking about life after Sayers, Mennie and Worrall but Wes did really well establishing himself in all three formats this year.

Without the stats/explanation:

1. Hughes
2. Maddinson
3. Marsh (c)
4. Cooper
5. Green
6. Henriques
7. Carey (+)
8. Neser (1st over)
9. Siddle (2nd over)
10. Gannon
11. W Agar

Last edited:
I understand that the spinners didn't have a great season statistically but if you had to have one as a 12th man, who would you go with?
(Don't say 'Billy Birmingham'.) O'Keefe?

Last edited:
I understand that the spinners didn't have a great season statistically but if you had to have one as a 12th man, who would you go with?
(Don't say 'Billy Birmingham'.) O'Keefe?
It would have to be.

I don't see how you can justify Nevill given he only scored 25 more runs than Carey at a far inferior average and zero centuries.

Right now we have:

Mine:

Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Cooper
Green
Henriques
Carey
Bowlers (all have the same)

Fox:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Cooper
Green
Nevill
Bowlers

cricinfo:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Green
Henriques
Paine
Bowlers

CA:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Green
Cooper
Nevill
Bowlers

4 selections: Hughes, Maddinson, Marsh, Green
3 selections: Burns, Cooper
2 selections: Henriques, Nevil
1 selection: Paine, Carey

Last edited:
Right now we have:

Mine:

Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Cooper
Green
Henriques
Carey
Bowlers (all have the same)

Fox:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Cooper
Green
Nevill
Bowlers

cricinfo:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Green
Henriques
Paine
Bowlers

CA:

Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Green
Cooper
Nevill
Bowlers

4 selections: Hughes, Maddinson, Marsh, Green
3 selections: Burns, Cooper
2 selections: Henriques, Nevil
1 selection: Paine, Carey
Updated
Burns
Hughes
Maddinson
Marsh
Green
Cooper
Nevill
Nessar
Siddle
Gannon
Agar

From CA https://www.cricket.com.au/news/she...l4-AHvWSnf3st43P7mkUdeTS9CFsQw3fmoaMc1ftWkFvY
It's spelled Neser ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox and CA going Nevill actually surprises you?
Not surprises, but there are two clear cut choices and one is objectively better from my POV.

Not surprises, but there are two clear cut choices and one is objectively better from my POV.

I'd have gone your way too. The keepers have been so meh though.

Can't believe Cooper wasn't picked in all teams.

And then there's cricinfo. Selecting the third in a two horse race!

To be fair Paine was fairly good, does show how poor the keepers were though.

I'd have picked Carey myself albeit if I could not pick a keeper probably would. It's a worry and a half that Carey is next in line in some quarters.

To be fair Paine was fairly good, does show how poor the keepers were though.

I'd have picked Carey myself albeit if I could not pick a keeper probably would. It's a worry and a half that Carey is next in line in some quarters.
If Gotch had 2 more games he would have been a monty.

If Gotch had 2 more games he would have been a monty.

100%, he'd have been my second choice. What on goodness name is Nevill doing there? Seriously as a NSW fan I'm happy he's retiring. Paine was okay, but he missed half the year

100%, he'd have been my second choice. What on goodness name is Nevill doing there? Seriously as a NSW fan I'm happy he's retiring. Paine was okay, but he missed half the year
Wait, when did that happen? Also Nevill was a clear second in a two horse race.

Doe Gilkes become keeper or Solway I wonder? Chase someone like Harper perhaps?

Wait, when did that happen? Also Nevill was a clear second in a two horse race.

Doe Gilkes become keeper or Solway I wonder? Chase someone like Harper perhaps?

Wouldn’t completely rule out chasing Phillipe and offering him the keeping spot. I don’t agree with it but can see it.

Unless he’s changed his mind Nevill is going into coaching. Now this could have changed but doubt it- he had to be twisted to play this year.

Ah Moises, the one that many hate.
Bloke gets an unbelievable amount of crap from people who watched him play 2 Tests and judge him on his career average.

I do think that Nevill is a far superior gloveman to Carey. Whether that is enough to justify selection based on batting numbers is I guess another matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back