Opinion Shelter at Olympic Park?

Remove this Banner Ad

This has created a bit of a discussion in the news thread, created a new thread here …

This is a real issue with the HC
Sunny - fans fry
Rain - fans drenched
Please give us some covered areas
I'd really like them to develop multiple viewing areas / better stands around the ground as well

It's just so much much more fun / enjoyable at VP
it has to be more than this, 76

the Club exists for the fans - watching at the HC has so many issues
as a professional sporting organisation, they need to resolve these problems

As Jen said, it’s so hard to see the action on the other side of the ground
We need better seating / viewing

A shade cloth (or few) isn’t enough
We need protection from both sun and rain

Looking at the pics below, looks like it should be reasonably straightforward to put something over the existing seating area on the AAMI park side of the oval. Maybe something slimline with maybe a glass (UV blocking) roof? Looks like that should be able to be done without blocking the sight lines to AAMI park?

9581FFFC-D240-440A-BBCA-E162F94444C0.jpeg

D661E068-890F-43CD-A5C0-CE38F4640774.jpeg

76, will this become less of an issue if no games are played at OP?

All the AFLW home games will be at Vic Park this coming season. If all the VFL follows suit (we can only hope) then it comes down to the discomfort factor for fans watching training.

An awning thingy on the east side of the oval, over the current terraced seating, takes my vote.

After bemoaning this on any hot/wet VFL game at Olympic Park seeing this thread made me hopeful that we’ll finally be seeing something installed. Alas, not to be.

An awing over those terraces would be preferred, but I’d settle for some big shade sails in the same location. Pity the glasshouse extension didn’t include a small rooftop grandstand.

Better than skin cancer.

My grandfather use to work in the sun without a shirt on back in the day, paying for it dearly in his later years now.

We lost Tom Hafey to skin cancer

Isn't this just a training ground...? I don't see any reason to build glass-topped viewing stands for people. You don't have to go.
You don’t have to go to the MCG either…
A low cost Shade cloth & poles option would suffice.
When in Melbourne, I thoroughly enjoy a trip to watch the team train.
It connects you to something that you love & hold a great passion.
The Club should be more welcoming of supporters visiting…

Why don’t Australians use umbrellas for the sun shade? You see it everywhere in Asia.
Because Russians use them to take out dissidents.
Plus…can’t see over the top of them, they can take your eye out or knock your hat off.

Because Russians use them to take out dissidents.
Plus…can’t see over the top of them, they can take your eye out or knock your hat off.
I don’t get umbrellas. Mary Poppins used one well but that’s just about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

76, will this become less of an issue if no games are played at OP?

All the AFLW home games will be at Vic Park this coming season. If all the VFL follows suit (we can only hope) then it comes down to the discomfort factor for fans watching training.

An awning thingy on the east side of the oval, over the current terraced seating, takes my vote.

I think something is needed for people attending training.

Isn't this just a training ground...? I don't see any reason to build glass-topped viewing stands for people. You don't have to go.

It would be a good gesture for the diehards who attend.

Needs a series of covered areas and then a more significant cover over the “steps” on the far side
Not sure how to solve the issue re being able to see action across the whole ground without building a couple significant viewing points / stands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back