Multiplat Shenmue 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? My care factor died yesterday. Would have bought it for the nostalgia factor but all good.

Because the game was pitched to them for support and they weren't interested. Sony supported the project hence why it was released on PC and PS4. Don't blame the developer for that.

How are people finding it? My mate who backed it and loves the series said it's total bum and a chore to play. But then I've seen 10/10 reviews being given.

How are people finding it? My mate who backed it and loves the series said it's total bum and a chore to play. But then I've seen 10/10 reviews being given.

Its is a chore.

You have to level up Ryos attack,endurance,Kung Fu stats via sparing,fighting or wooden dummies

Upgrading you endurance increase your HP but your HP also drains slowly when your a running/walking so you are constantly having to buy HP items from stores to replenish you health which can be annoying.

Unless you are a hardcore shenmue fan people won't like the game epsically if you are a modern gamer.

Last edited:
Its is a chore.

You have to level up Ryos attack,endurance,Kung Fu stats via sparing,fighting or wooden dummies

Upgrading you endurance increase your HP but your HP also drains slowly when your a running/walking so you are constantly having to buy HP items from stores to replenish you health which can be annoying.

Unless you are a hardcore shenmue fan people won't like the game epsically if you are a modern gamer.

100% agree with this. Unless you're a fan of the series you probably won't enjoy this.

Modern games have come a long way since Shenmue 1 & 2. I love the series, but I put Pokemon & Star Wars on hold to play this....not sure it was the right idea.

100% agree with this. Unless you're a fan of the series you probably won't enjoy this.

Modern games have come a long way since Shenmue 1 & 2. I love the series, but I put Pokemon & Star Wars on hold to play this....not sure it was the right idea.

At the end of the day it doesn't bother me if the game doesn't appeal to the mass market just want Suzuki San to keep making shenmue games for the fans keep the series ongoing like Yakuza

Ign Japan gave the game 9

Lol if this gets better reviews than Death Stranding.

edit - Been playing the game for a few days now and it's finally clicked Shenmue is back! the awkward dialogue,stiff animation etc plays exactly like the originals love it.

JR#8 I know you love the series you wont be disappointed Shenmue is back.

Last edited:
Ign Japan gave the game 9

Lol if this gets better reviews than Death Stranding.

edit - Been playing the game for a few days now and it's finally clicked Shenmue is back! the awkward dialogue,stiff animation etc plays exactly like the originals love it.

JR#8 I know you love the series you wont be disappointed Shenmue is back.
The further I'm getting the more I'm liking it. around 6-7 hours in now and loving it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you left the village yet?

You can still abuse the 'roll it on top' game just like in shenmue 2 lols

Win a s**t load of tokens,buy items to sell at the pawn shop to make money lols
Not yet.... I was really pissed off yesterday and somehow I lost 2 hours of playthrough because it seems like I didn't save properly. Can't tell you how annoyed I was last night :(

I'm still in Bailu. Really taking my time. I'm enjoying it and it's pretty much what I expected. Agree with previous posters saying that newcomers won't get it and won't enjoy it. It's a slow pace, it's a bit clunky and the voice acting is average, but that's Shenmue.

If you guys are struggling with tokens/cash the lucky hit board on the far right in Joy Park is a goldmine. I find it less irritating and don't feel like I'm cheating like I do with the save/load roll it on top thing. It's six to one odds, and if you drop the ball in between the two pins on the far left you'll win 50% of the time. I went from a couple of hundred of tokens to 50,000 in about 15 minutes with max bets. Then buy gems at the prize exchange and pawn them if you need money.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Finished the game on Saturday quite enjoyed it and hoping 4 gets made

Sux that you can't go back to Baliu village once you reach the city

I maxed out Ryos stats by the end of the game endurance and attack max out at level 21 and Kungfu at level 41
Nice. How many hours do you think you spent on this?

The women in the village are so thirsty :tearsofjoy: Must be tough for them with their husbands in the city.

I've been training every morning, multiple times, and it still took me three attempts to defeats those thugs early on. Quite surprised by the difficulty spike.

I am a massive Shenmue fan and I was pumped this was coming out.
It was alright but not as great as it should have been. I think the build-up has been too long so maybe that's part of the reason I felt it was a bit of a letdown.
I just smashed skill books and training, ended up belting everyone suddenly. Kinda enjoyed that.
The story felt a bit off, as well as the ending. Controls are so outdated but that kinda gave you a sense of nostalgia.
I hope it continues as this is something I wanna see to the end.

Last edited:
I am a massive Shenmue fan and I was pumped this was coming out.
It was alright but not as great as it should have been. I think the build-up has been too long so maybe that's part of the reason I felt it was a bit of a letdown.
I just smashed skill books and training, ended up belting everyone suddenly. Kinda enjoyed that.
The story felt a bit off, as well as the ending. Controls are so outdated but that kinda gave you a sense of nostalgia.
I hope it continues as this is something I wanna see to the end.

The game took me back in time to when i first played Shenmue on the dreamcast

Just finished it, like many I'm happy that the game "felt like" shenmue despite there being annoyances. On a whole I enjoyed playing the game even when I was ignoring the enormous nostalgic value it has.

Firstly the characters seemed bland. I didn't really find myself intrigued by them at all and felt no emotion towards them. In one and two, I liked Tom, Nozomi, Goro, Joy, Xiuying, Wong, Chai, Ren and enjoyed their company/stories. Despite her mystery in the first two games Shenhua is a major disappointment. Acted poorly and as interesting as watching paint dry. This is probably a bad sign given she was a major character. I only got excitement out of older characters (Ren, Chai) and the parts they played. The Shenhua thing caught me by surprise given I enjoyed the little woods stroll at the end of the second game.

Spoiler in coming paragraph.

As has been stated, the story didn't really progress until probably the last 10 minutes of the game. I really like that you got a chance to "fight" Lan Di even if it was a fake non event. If another game does happen It helps with that story as Ryo now knows he's not ready to face Lan Di as he's already had his arse handed to him. Despite my saying the characters were bland, Niao Sun is kick arse but you don't see enough of her. Liked that twist.

I didn't have as much of an issue with the eating mechanic as most people. Especially as you get later in the game it's easy enough to have food on hand. The fighting system I warmed to, although I found myself just cycling through two different moves. There's no doubt shenmue 2 fighting was more in depth but it may have been a budget thing and that's understandable. Levelling up was too much of a grind and there needed to be more ways to do it other than the dummies and sparring.

Shops were clunky. I found it annoying you aren't able to see what scrolls you already know in the shop menu. Menu navigation is clunky. Can't remember a game that ever used R1 to access your pause menu. Haha but whatever. Little things like that made it feel like the game is stuck in a bit of a time warp but really, who cares?

Unfortunately, there's no way in the world this game will get new fans on board. It's not like anything else out there and modern hardcore gamers would not tolerate it. The type of people that may like it would probably never try it cause they won't know it exists. I'm not holding my breath for a 4th.

I found the dialogue much more repetitive than the previous games too. The interactions with Shenhua at the start and end of the day became an annoyance, and the hotel chick asking for my money the same way every day.

There may have been a tinge of stubbornness from Yu Suzuki not maybe trying to squeeze more into this game. There probably could have been more squeezed into this but he's sticking to his formula and good luck to him, hope we all get to see the story finished.

Just finished it, like many I'm happy that the game "felt like" shenmue despite there being annoyances. On a whole I enjoyed playing the game even when I was ignoring the enormous nostalgic value it has.

Firstly the characters seemed bland. I didn't really find myself intrigued by them at all and felt no emotion towards them. In one and two, I liked Tom, Nozomi, Goro, Joy, Xiuying, Wong, Chai, Ren and enjoyed their company/stories. Despite her mystery in the first two games Shenhua is a major disappointment. Acted poorly and as interesting as watching paint dry. This is probably a bad sign given she was a major character. I only got excitement out of older characters (Ren, Chai) and the parts they played. The Shenhua thing caught me by surprise given I enjoyed the little woods stroll at the end of the second game.

Spoiler in coming paragraph.

As has been stated, the story didn't really progress until probably the last 10 minutes of the game. I really like that you got a chance to "fight" Lan Di even if it was a fake non event. If another game does happen It helps with that story as Ryo now knows he's not ready to face Lan Di as he's already had his arse handed to him. Despite my saying the characters were bland, Niao Sun is kick arse but you don't see enough of her. Liked that twist.

I didn't have as much of an issue with the eating mechanic as most people. Especially as you get later in the game it's easy enough to have food on hand. The fighting system I warmed to, although I found myself just cycling through two different moves. There's no doubt shenmue 2 fighting was more in depth but it may have been a budget thing and that's understandable. Levelling up was too much of a grind and there needed to be more ways to do it other than the dummies and sparring.

Shops were clunky. I found it annoying you aren't able to see what scrolls you already know in the shop menu. Menu navigation is clunky. Can't remember a game that ever used R1 to access your pause menu. Haha but whatever. Little things like that made it feel like the game is stuck in a bit of a time warp but really, who cares?

Unfortunately, there's no way in the world this game will get new fans on board. It's not like anything else out there and modern hardcore gamers would not tolerate it. The type of people that may like it would probably never try it cause they won't know it exists. I'm not holding my breath for a 4th.

I found the dialogue much more repetitive than the previous games too. The interactions with Shenhua at the start and end of the day became an annoyance, and the hotel chick asking for my money the same way every day.

There may have been a tinge of stubbornness from Yu Suzuki not maybe trying to squeeze more into this game. There probably could have been more squeezed into this but he's sticking to his formula and good luck to him, hope we all get to see the story finished.

Agree with everything you said although I do think S4 will happen.

Characters and dialogue would have been so much better if they were mocapped by the actors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back