Roast Sheridan and Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Feel like this is necessary. As painful as it was to watch that loss tonight, nothing more so then Sutcliffe repeatedly poor skills errors and Sheridan could not get into the game whatsoever.

Tommy has played 64 games, after being picked up at number 16 in the 2011 Draft. Showed promise early, but now doesn't seem to belong in any position. Tried at half back, looked ineffective and easily outmuscled. Then on the wing where he struggled. Right now he's out of contract 2017. He'll be delisted.

Sutcliffe came to Freo as pick number 71 in the 2011 as well. Again showed promise early, half back flanker who can play a variety of roles. Did well in the 2013 Final series. But since then has been notoriously poor. Has played 95 games for the club, and looks set to be back to WAFL level for the rest of the year. Contracted at the end of 2018.

Quite frankly the time is up for these two. Considering we delisted De Boer (who is pivotal for GWS at the top of the ladder at this point in time) and Barlow (who is also impressing inside mid and showing how much we failed in getting rid of him). Delisted and move on. Logue and Nyhuis to come in, Tucker as well. Simply these two aren't AFL quality. It's proven.

Yeah sadly Sheridan just doesn't look like making the grade. Amazing to think he was drafted that high!

Said it in 2015, said it all last year and I'll keep saying it now - Sutcliffe is one of the worst players I have ever seen on our list. The fact he gets games infuriates me more than anything else when thinking about this club. Oh cool he used to be able to kick the ball good half the time. Then what? Actual pathetic excuse of a player. Would be lucky to be peeling oranges at the seconds if he was on any other list.

As for Sheridan he was s**t today but so was everyone else. I want him dropped but think he still needs to be evaluated in a string of games this year to see if he has a future - but he probably doesn't.

I thought Sheridan looked very good at times in 2015, but since then has gone backwards.

Huh? Matt DeBoer pivotal to GWS?

I agree we aren't going anywhere with these two but I thought Sheridan was better than quite a lot of other players today. Sutcliffe was poor admittedly and has been for sometime.

Crozier tried hard and whilst he missed a relatively easy goal he did other things that were better than a lot of other players.

Yeah, they're clearly not good, but it's pretty stupid to scapegoat after a game like that where the entire team was complete trash, starting with the much vaunted midfield that somehow escapes due criticism. It amazes me that there are people who genuinely seem to think that cutting 2-3 crabs will somehow mitigate these types of losses in any way.

Well, I don't know. There's something about Sutty that you just hope he comes good again. He was never top shelf, but I could see why Ross stuck with him because, in his better times, he proved some versatility, played with a cool head and seemed to work the system quite well. But yeah, it's hard to defend him these days.

Call me a sucker, but I still have hope fur Sherro. He's got OK skills and occasionally you see it work. But he's got to pull his finger out and quick.

There was a moment, I think it was the 2nd quarter so not late when everybody was stuffed, when he was one-on-one, it was a contested situation, scrappy and luck of the bounce type thing meant Bris got the ball (not his man and not his fault). However, whoever he was on, standing right next to him in the contest pushed fwd hard and then Sherro's chase (or lack of) was terrible I mean the sort of thing I've not seen from a Ross Lyon side nearly ever - just casual jog behind him. His man then got the ball and was a vital link to a goal. It was so s**t poor. If I was Ross I would have got him off the field there and then and told him to pack his bags and piss off home right away. I was livid!! I mean the game was a long way from done. What utter lack of focus and intensity.

So yeah, if that's what he's going to deliver, the he's done. But he's got ability to play better - so lets see. This season will be sorting those types of players out no doubt.

Why?

Crozier was great last year at half back and it's not really his fault that he's been shifted to a new position in the worst forward line in the league.

He was far from our worst today.

6 years on the list and minimum improvement. Still can't play 100 minutes. Why does he get a free pass when Sheridan and Sutcliffe get dumped on. The three of them aren't up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, they're clearly not good, but it's pretty stupid to scapegoat after a game like that where the entire team was complete trash, starting with the much vaunted midfield that somehow escapes due criticism. It amazes me that there are people who genuinely seem to think that cutting 2-3 crabs will somehow mitigate these types of losses in any way.

No, their omissions won't be immediate fixes or impact the team in the short-term - the problem is the fact that they've gone completely unproven for over 3 seasons now and are roadblocking any development on-field and for new players.

It's people like Sutcliffe who get to make 50 mistakes over 10 games where as Taberner only needs to drop a mark or Hughes have a turnover and they're instantly out that annoys me.

No, their omissions won't be immediate fixes or impact the team in the short-term - the problem is the fact that they've gone completely unproven for over 3 seasons now and are roadblocking any development on-field and for new players.

It's people like Sutcliffe who get to make 50 mistakes over 10 games where as Taberner only needs to drop a mark or Hughes have a turnover and they're instantly out that annoys me.

Don't disagree, but I personally would be roasting Ross for picking them in the first place before going after the players. I feel like Sutcliffe is in such a bad place right now that he probably cries when he gets selected, kind of like Kwame Brown.

The outs list now:

T. Shero
C. Sutty
Z. Daws
J. Griff
N. Subes
D. Pearce
L. Spew

Plus retirements

M. Johnson
A. Sandilands

Next year and the year after will need some great trading and drafting or we are in for dire, dire football...

The outs list now:

T. Shero
C. Sutty
Z. Daws
J. Griff
N. Subes
D. Pearce
L. Spew

Plus retirements

M. Johnson
A. Sandilands

Next year and the year after will need some great trading and drafting or we are in for dire, dire football...

That's the list!
Someone get it to the club, pin it to Ross's head and buy him a ....... mirror.

Barlow is the only one of the other brigade that may have helped. Mzungu, C.Pearce and De Boer played four games each last year. Easy decisions. Silvagni wouldn't get a game ahead of Hamling and Johnson, I don't think Collins is much worse either. We haven't delisted the wrong crowd - we just haven't delisted enough. We haven't delisted enough because you can't turn over half the list in an off season. It'll take 2-3 years. We will slowly get rid of these guys as their contracts expire.

No player should be getting games if older than 26 unless they are a leader and/or one of our best players probably from next year onwards. Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Crozier (and a few others) are approaching that age

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The outs list now:

T. Shero
C. Sutty
Z. Daws
J. Griff
N. Subes
D. Pearce
L. Spew

Plus retirements

M. Johnson
A. Sandilands

Add Z Clarke and G Ibbo to that list and we have a quarter of the list being turned over....

As the Orange Cheeto in Chief would tweeter - SAD!!

I really liked Sutty when he first came in the team and I tend to look for the positives in most players, so I don't think I'm overly prone to (negative) confirmation bias when I watch him, but * me, it seemed like everything he touched turned to s**t tonight.

Get Nyhuis in, what have we got to lose?

Huh? Matt DeBoer pivotal to GWS?

I agree we aren't going anywhere with these two but I thought Sheridan was better than quite a lot of other players today. Sutcliffe was poor admittedly and has been for sometime.

Crozier tried hard and whilst he missed a relatively easy goal he did other things that were better than a lot of other players.
Yeh i thought croz was pretty good today led hard and took some strong marks. Made the best of a poor situation and had a crack. Dont get the hate around croz.

Yeh i thought croz was pretty good today led hard and took some strong marks. Made the best of a poor situation and had a crack. Dont get the hate around croz.

No hate but after 6 years on the list he hasn't improved. He should be at the peak of his powers but is still average. If he has any currency he should be on the trade table.

Barlow is the only one of the other brigade that may have helped. Mzungu, C.Pearce and De Boer played four games each last year. Easy decisions. Silvagni wouldn't get a game ahead of Hamling and Johnson, I don't think Collins is much worse either. We haven't delisted the wrong crowd - we just haven't delisted enough. We haven't delisted enough because you can't turn over half the list in an off season. It'll take 2-3 years. We will slowly get rid of these guys as their contracts expire.

Yeah this is it hey. You can't get rid of 17 in an off-season, the draft only goes 5 rounds max and the rookie draft 3. You can however turnover around 10, which we will probably do this year.

Sutcliffe is cooked. Sheridan i'm actually okay with, at least he tries to take the game on and run when he has the ball. Crozier is fine. Ultimately he won't be more than a bit/depth player but really he should be at half back with only brief forays forward. When he was back today he hit a couple of really nice targets. I much prefer Weller up the field and Crozier down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back