Opinion Shifter's Best Ever Pick No.2: Roughy, Cotchin or Nigel Lappin?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I saw those three names I immediately thought Cotchin on footballing thoughts only. Is Roughy a 3 or 4 time Premiership player and we know Lappin is 3? Out of Cotchin and Roughy I would have thought, as much as I really enjoyed Lappin up here for Brisbane (was even surprised that Lappin was a number 2 pick)

Last edited:

Gee this is a real tough one.

Probably Cotchin given his development over the years.

Rough and Lappin both played in extremely successful teams with huge established leaders and contributed to that success.

I would argue that Hawks + Lions would arguably have been quite successful without Rough/Lappin. Tiges without Cotch, no way.

Cotchin had to evolve as a player and captain, and essentially DRAG our club to its current heights on his back.

I was disgusted by Sheehan’s conduct during this presentation. C*nt wasted one minute fifty-two seconds talking about some other hacks, time that would have been much better spent extolling the many virtues of Trent W. Cotchin, Brownlow Medallist, Dual premiership Captain, 3 Jacky Dyers, Stewart Medal, Yiooken Award, AFLCA Champion Player, amongst other accolades far too numerous to mention.

Wake the f*ck up Shifter, ffs.

In all seriousness though, a colleague(Richmond hater) several years ago(around 2015) was decrying Richmond’s drafting over the years. He rounded on Cotchin as a poor number two selection. I went through all the other number twos since drafting commenced and said show me one better. Then we looked at the 2007 draft I said Cotchin is clearly the best or second best of the top ten selections depending on how you rate Dangerfool(I don’t.), and arguably the best or definitely in the best handful of that draft. Then he starts coming at me with Callan Ward saying he is way better than Cotchin.

So it is good to see Cotchin get this recognition. He is a fantastic player and an even better leader, you can tell that by what his teammates and coaches say about him. I said in 2015 I wouldn’t give Cotchin back for anyone in that draft, and was scoffed at.

Trent Cotchin deserves every accolade he receives, and boy has he silenced the knockers. Like, he hasn’t just silenced them, he has slam dunked their idiot heads into the netless hoop of oblivion.

Roughy was one hell of a player before the cancer. He was playing any position on the field and soundly beating his opponents week in week out...He doesn't inspire as much as cotchin but would of loved him in the yellow and black..No disrespect to Trent his tackle on mumford will be talked about for 50 years and now every captain uses their hands when they talk to reporters same gestures as Trent...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotch is a work in progress. If he adds to the silverware cabinet one or two more times then he surpasses these guys. I mean 4 flags is an amazing achievement by Roughhead. Lappin played for a long time too in a very good team. Midfield of Voss, Lappin, Black & Aka. RFC is getting there with Dusty, Cotch, Prestia & Graham/Pickett/Stack.
C'mon tiges stat motivated!!!!
The job ain't done yet. How many did St Francis win? 5?
Let that be our motivation

I'll even renounce me atheism, get back into faith,

Hail St Francis, full of blood. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art Dimma amongst men, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Cotch. Holy Dusty, Mother of Earth, play for us sinners, now and at the hour of our back to back grand finals, Amen.

Cotch is a work in progress. If he adds to the silverware cabinet one or two more times then he surpasses these guys. I mean 4 flags is an amazing achievement by Roughhead. Lappin played for a long time too in a very good team. Midfield of Voss, Lappin, Black & Aka. RFC is getting there with Dusty, Cotch, Prestia & Graham/Pickett/Stack.
C'mon tiges stat motivated!!!!
The job ain't done yet. How many did St Francis win? 5?
Let that be our motivation

I'll even renounce me atheism, get back into faith,

Hail St Francis, full of blood. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art Dimma amongst men, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Cotch. Holy Dusty, Mother of Earth, play for us sinners, now and at the hour of our back to back grand finals, Amen.

We don’t want them to be stat motivated Tora!

Love Cotch and I am biased towards any Tiger... Roughy does have some claims and Lappin was always my favourite Bear from that era.
Cotch easily

Very tough to split them as all 3 are/were phenomenal players. I'd give Cotch the edge in leadership but Roughy was an awesome key forward at his peak & I said many times I'd take him over Buddy in a heartbeat. Lappin was sensational and if it wasn't for the rest of the Lions crew at that time I reckon he'd be thought of higher but he was a brilliant courageous footballer who would walk into any side of the past 20 years and be elite. I'm very happy with our captain though, even if he did (allegedly) insinuate I was a fat bastard in Wang a couple of weeks ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back