Remove this Banner Ad

Lucev23

Josh Kennedy is My Dad
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Started playing ruck this year and getting a bit sick of copping heavy knocks to the shins in contests (soft I know).

Just wondering if anyone out there wears shin guards whilst playing?

Cheers.

Started playing ruck this year and getting a bit sick of copping heavy knocks to the shins in contests (soft I know).

Just wondering if anyone out there wears shin guards whilst playing?

Cheers.

If you feel you need them just wear them? Don't worry about what other people think, if you keep getting sore shins (mine hurt heaps after just minor contact) then grab some shin guards.

Jeff White wore them latter stages of his career.

have a look at David Hille... his sock looks like its painted on... not sure what sort of protection he wears but he has been wearing it for as long as i can remember.

Mate most rucks wear them, even in amateur leagues, just go and by a soccer one. Although what ive found is that they slip down all the time, try it for a game and see if it happens, if it does just rip the bottom part off (you'll know when u get one) and use tape to keep it fixed to your leg so it doesnt move.

I played on a bloke a couple of weeks ago, he was wearing a shin guard playing full forward, not rucking or anything. Lots of ammunition on him for the game

Go buy a 6ft boxing bag.
Learn the muaythai low kick using shins.
Kick bag 500 times a day each leg.
In six months opposition ruckman will be crying with your metal shins
Once conditioned will stay like that.

I used to wear a smallish soccer style one for about 3 years, then i changed as it was pretty much done for.
my new one is awesome. homemade.
i traced the old shinguard onto a camping map foam (bout 1cm thick), added a few extra lengths etc. then added 2 rolled thin rubber sheets into a rod like thing. put them up the middle of the outside of the guard. glued them down. then got that tape, that has that fabric in it. and coated the whole guard. looks amazing. and it works. very soft, dont feel any contact.

I used to wear a smallish soccer style one for about 3 years, then i changed as it was pretty much done for.
my new one is awesome. homemade.
i traced the old shinguard onto a camping map foam (bout 1cm thick), added a few extra lengths etc. then added 2 rolled thin rubber sheets into a rod like thing. put them up the middle of the outside of the guard. glued them down. then got that tape, that has that fabric in it. and coated the whole guard. looks amazing. and it works. very soft, dont feel any contact.
Picture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever you do, dont start out without one.

Ive played in the ruck, through alot of senior footy, I started late juniors without one, my right shin is now like chalk, to the point if I rucked just one center bounce without one, I'd struggle to walk off the field after it.

The knees get through the soccer ones, after a full game in one, again, Im in agony, I wear one of the hockey shin guards, that extend up to under the knee.

Don't feel a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back