Opinion "SHINBONER" Do we really want to keep using this word? (Verdict: YES)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just as proud of all those things too. I am not ashamed of the club's origins or background. But I still do not like the word "shinboner" regardless of where it came from. That too can be part of the club's history where it belongs.

Can you imagine the club trying to land a good sponsorship deal as "the shinboners"?

Mazda rep: OK so what are you known as?
North marketing rep: the shinboners.
Mazda rep: The what??
Marketing rep: The shinboners
Mazda rep: What's a shinboner? Er sorry mate. I don't think that really fits the company's image...Or any other for that matter. Good luck with that.
A quick google on the history of Mazda found this littlel nugget

Fast forward to the end of the 20th century, the current Mazda brand symbol was adopted in June 1997. The symbol stands for Mazda’s determination to “pursue ongoing improvements to drive powerful, continuous growth”, expressed by a pair of wings shaped like a letter M in an oval. The V-shaped wings are also suggestive of Mazda’s flexible thinking, creativity, vitality, kindness and resilience. Daring to stand up to seemingly impossible challenges, and standing against all odds to pursue its dream. Committed to making cars with excellent quality with a firm belief that new technology can only be developed from overcoming tough challenges, the spirit of Mazda lives on in its brand symbol.

So that conversation would go like this

Mazda rep: What's a shinboner?
Marketing rep: It represents a community, who has fought against the odds and the establishment to maintain a presence at its home in Arden St, who innovated with the 10 year rule to win its first premiership, innovated in 1975 to start sponsorship in the AFL* and who also started Friday night football.

So it represents flexible thinking, creativity, kindness and resilience. It has helped us to be daring when facing impossible challenges, standing up against all odds to pursue our dreams.

Oh and you can also use our mascot the Kangaroo.

Mazda rep: Wow, now that's a fit.

*fairly sure were the first, but can't confirm. I know Collngwood, the * and Carlton didn't start till 1977

Fast forward to the end of the 20th century, the current Mazda brand symbol was adopted in June 1997. The symbol stands for Mazda’s determination to “pursue ongoing improvements to drive powerful, continuous growth”, expressed by a pair of wings shaped like a letter M in an oval. The V-shaped wings are also suggestive of Mazda’s flexible thinking, creativity, vitality, kindness and resilience. Daring to stand up to seemingly impossible challenges, and standing against all odds to pursue its dream. Committed to making cars with excellent quality with a firm belief that new technology can only be developed from overcoming tough challenges, the spirit of Mazda lives on in its brand symbol.

Marketing rep: It represents a community, who has fought against the odds and the establishment to maintain a presence at its home in Arden St, who innovated with the 10 year rule to win its first premiership, innovated in 1975 to start sponsorship in the AFL* and who also started Friday night football.

So it represents flexible thinking, creativity, kindness and resilience. It has helped us to be daring when facing impossible challenges, standing up against all odds to pursue our dreams.

*fairly sure were the first, but can't confirm. I know Collngwood, the * and Carlton didn't start till 1977

That is worthy of more than one like

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A couple of days later. Mazda rep contacts North marketing rep.

Mazda rep: You deceived me.
Marketing rep: How so?
Mazda rep: Your definition of shinboners. What rubbish. My brother owns a meatworks and told me what a shinboner is. Why twist the meaning of such a word to describe your club's achievements ?
Marketing rep: But it goes back a long way. Our supporters see it as a symbol of their struggle against the odds.
Mazda rep: Does anyone else?
Marketing rep: Well..no ..but..
Mazda rep: Neither do we. We can't sponsor something that is so misleading and which no one else will understand. A good percentage of our car buyers couldn't care less about. And then we have to try to explain it to our head office in Japan.
Marketing rep: Well we have the kangaroo too.
Mazda rep: Just as well. At least that's something most people understand. If it wasn't for that the deal would be have been off.

Maza rep (hangs up) Shinboners-good God.

Mazda rep: Your definition of shinboners. What rubbish. My brother owns a meatworks and told me what a shinboner is. Why twist the meaning of such a word to describe your club's achievements ?
Marketing rep: But it goes back a long way. Our supporters see it as a symbol of their struggle against the odds.
Mazda rep: Neither do we. We can't sponsor something that is so misleading and which no one else will understand. A good percentage of our car buyers couldn't care less about. And then we have to try to explain it to our head office in Japan.
Mazda rep: Just as well. At least that's something most people understand. If it wasn't for that the deal would be have been off.

( only liking it coz it's funny )

of course he would have gone to great lenghts to explain what a "zoom zoom" was.

No it was used long before 1950 and did not help the club. It was officially changed in 1950 to the Kangaroos. So it's already been changed. Let's go with it and leave the old illegitimate term behind.
Weird. They even had an award for shinboner spirit last night 🥴🤯

Gary & Tim had Denis on this morning chatting about his Derby win. They told Denis " Johnny from Epping " had been on earlier. Heard Johnny from Epping call in a few times and he's a passionate North man.
Turns out Johnny does allright for himself with a few chooks and a bit of market gardening. Used to come down to the club and give Denis a few eggs and vegies free of charge. Probably some coaching advice as well 😅 ( if you've ever heard him )

Johnny from Epping > Shinboner 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back