• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
As the decade draws to an end it's probably a good time to have this discussion.

I reckon I have covered the main candidates, and I left Boomer out due to the 2000's being his big decade.

• Banned
If you're gonna have Dish in there, you gotta have Boomer.

Okay mate, I'll add it, even though I think his popularity over 20 years would sway people to view him outside of his 6 years in the 2010's (1 x B&F in 2010).

I have also added in Spud & LT.

Has to be Ben Cunnington doesn't it?
I think Spitta would be his only real competition.

Okay mate, I'll add it, even though I think his popularity over 20 years would sway people to view him outside of his 6 years in the 2010's (1 x B&F in 2010).

I have also added in Spud & LT.

You're right, I was merely pointing out that he and Dish retired in the same year so having one and not the other doesn't really compute.

Scott Thompson is my choice simply because he is the only player to have put in 9 and soon to be 10 good years for us this decade. He has been a leader on field for us the entire time and he has always been in our top 5 or 10 players.

Thompson is also one of three players with an AA selection in this time and only Swallow, Wells and Higgins have him beat for b&fs. I think he also fits the shinboner criteria, having always played his hardest for the jumper and giving his absolute best no matter what.

It took players like Cunnington, Tarrant and Higgins a while to get going, while Swallow, Wells and Boomer all dropped off too early. While recency bias would be strong with Cunnington, I think we got 7ish good years out of him this decade (including 2019) compared to about 7ish for Swallow, who I think would deserve it over Cunnington simply for captaining the side as well.

swallow for me just slightly over cunnington and then thompson. it is so close that cunnington could pass swallow with this year.

swallows peak years in 2010-2011-2012 or so are extremely underrated as is his career in general. i am a huge cunnington fan but dont think he has quite reached the level of swallows peak. swallow is the best tackling mid of all time and had really refined the rest of his game nicely by that stage too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-Tarrants peak is 2015-19
-Swallows is 2010-13
-Cunnington I would say 2013 onwards has been a champion
-Jack isn’t in the discussion
-Higgins been amazing from 2015-19
-Thompson peaked 2013 but has been serviceable since
-Goldstein peaked 2015. I really rated his 2014-16 patch
-Petrie in 2011 was a colossus taking pack mark after pack mark. In 2012 he would become a damaging full forward. The 2014 finals cameo was grand
-Spuds career on the cross roads in 2013 before resurrecting it in 2014
-Boomer was amazingly consistent following his elbow injury in 2009. 2010-16 was robbed of AA gigs because of his age after peaking in 2007-08
-Thomas’ 2010, 12 and 13 we’re outstanding. His 2014 finals series also.
Can’t help but feel he dropped off in 2015 and was on the down since

I’d say Cunnington ahead of Tarrant and Higgins.
Boomer and Drew round out the top 5.

SPUD.

Played with ticker and never took a backward step. Would’ve been my first picked to be in the trenches with me if we were going to war. Did the number 11 justice.

Best player of the 2010’s is obviously the games record holder, absolute genius.

A little left field guys but I reckon Maj should rate some sort of special mention considering the challenges the guy has had to contend with.....

Scott Thompson is my choice simply because he is the only player to have put in 9 and soon to be 10 good years for us this decade. He has been a leader on field for us the entire time and he has always been in our top 5 or 10 players.

Thompson is also one of three players with an AA selection in this time and only Swallow, Wells and Higgins have him beat for b&fs. I think he also fits the shinboner criteria, having always played his hardest for the jumper and giving his absolute best no matter what.

It took players like Cunnington, Tarrant and Higgins a while to get going, while Swallow, Wells and Boomer all dropped off too early. While recency bias would be strong with Cunnington, I think we got 7ish good years out of him this decade (including 2019) compared to about 7ish for Swallow, who I think would deserve it over Cunnington simply for captaining the side as well.

good points for thomo, i'd argue the same - but i know that next decade there will be a player (probably LDU) who will have more top notch seasons than cunnington within the 2020-30 decade, therefore my choice is cunnington on the assumption he has another 3 years of the same performance even though it goes across two decades.

assuming brown has another 5-6 seasons of great performances he could end up unluckiest in these kinds of analyses, started in 2014, began peaking at 2016 and will probably retire around 2024, won't have as big of significance in either decades compared to others that were drafted in 2007/2017

Back