Official Club Stuff Shining Blight: Official Suns Podcast - Latest Episode: 06

Remove this Banner Ad

We tried to get Big Red Machine name (The UV Index) over the line, but within the space of 5 minutes, Shining Blight got a quickfire 10 or so votes and voting was cut :p

Strange, but sorry BRM, wasn't to be
Eh, Story of my life.

Whenever Blighty gets the sack/retires the line of succession falls to the index ;)

We tried to get Big Red Machine name (The UV Index) over the line, but within the space of 5 minutes, Shining Blight got a quickfire 10 or so votes and voting was cut :p

Strange, but sorry BRM, wasn't to be

Shining Blight... is he going to be hosting the show every week?

If not we are naming the pod after our 1st director of coaching...

Hey everyone - we'll be recording the podcast a little earlier this week due to scheduling issues.

Any requests/questions, let me know!

Hey everyone - we'll be recording the podcast a little earlier this week due to scheduling issues.

Any requests/questions, let me know!
What are the boys getting up to in the off season?
Thoughts from Blighty about the captaincy for next year
Discussion with Clayton regarding possible list changes or draft prospects/academy kids
Discussion with Steve Daniel or Andrew Raines about academy kids

Blight on a modern day Blight. Any thoughts on how to improve goal kicking?

Baggy shorts are the current fashion but any athletes that want to run fast wear skin tight shorts.
Given the amount of running in the modern game, any chance for a tight short comeback?

Episode 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very entertaining. Thank you for doing this.

Q for next week: Can Malcolm please give his opinion on our ruck stocks? Tom Nichols is athletic, but can he be an above average ruckman (i.e. top 10) in the league? Cheers.

Some suggestions...

The salaries & attention paid to players is disproportionate to what is paid to most people their age. How do you stop this going to their heads?

Should there be changes to the rules surrounding the Suns NEAFL side to help us better prepare players for AFL?

How can the Suns avoid being used as a feeder or nursery club, developing players for bigger clubs in other states?

Smaller list sizes & increased movement of players between clubs has reduced the amount of loyalty players & clubs show each other. Fans now feel less connected to players, because they don’t want to feel hurt if those players change clubs. Is there anything the club or the AFL should do to encourage more loyalty or don't you think it matters?

Episode 4 now live below. Fat Pizza - Blighty was very impressed by your deep, hard hitting questions!

they were ripper questions, not bad answers either!

another great episode. regarding the goal kicking question, it's pretty simple. just get TARGETMAN behind the goals, almost impossible to miss. ;)

any chance of snagging Scotty Clayton on one of these? i'm sure we'd all have plenty of questions! :D

they were ripper questions, not bad answers either!

another great episode. regarding the goal kicking question, it's pretty simple. just get TARGETMAN behind the goals, almost impossible to miss. ;)

any chance of snagging Scotty Clayton on one of these? i'm sure we'd all have plenty of questions! :D

I'll try my best to get him mate but Scotty is extremely flat out as you could imagine!

Episode 4 now live below. Fat Pizza - Blighty was very impressed by your deep, hard hitting questions!

Thanks GCFC Digital. I didn't expect you to ask all 4 questions, but thanks for doing so.

I think Blighty might have misunderstood my 1st question. I wasn't saying the players don't deserve the high salaries. I'm just interested in how the club stops them getting big heads. I imagine their charity work helps. Maybe guidance from coaches too. I don't know if there are are any other strategies in place.

Thanks GCFC Digital. I didn't expect you to ask all 4 questions, but thanks for doing so.

I think Blighty might have misunderstood my 1st question. I wasn't saying the players don't deserve the high salaries. I'm just interested in how the club stops them getting big heads. I imagine their charity work helps. Maybe guidance from coaches too. I don't know if there are are any other strategies in place.

No worries at all. I think the first step in place is the club prioritises recruiting players with high character - last year's crop of draftees are some of the most grounded kids you'll ever meet and are just brilliant human beings. Our player welfare team works with them to develop them as people, finding them mentors, university courses, etc, based on their passions. Hope that helps answer that question.

No worries at all. I think the first step in place is the club prioritises recruiting players with high character - last year's crop of draftees are some of the most grounded kids you'll ever meet and are just brilliant human beings. Our player welfare team works with them to develop them as people, finding them mentors, university courses, etc, based on their passions. Hope that helps answer that question.
That's a great answer. I knew they placed a high value on the character of recruits, but it is even better to hear of the follow-up work done after they've been recruited. Excellent.

Another serious question for Blighty:
What trends do you think clubs will adopt in 2017, based on the 2016 Finals teams?

And some trivia:
What are your all-time favourite songs & movies? I've checked out the newer songs he's mentioned on the podcast, but would be interested in what his all-time favourites are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back