Roast s**t midfield is s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Only mids that should be a lock based on form this year and finals form are Sloane and M Crouch.

Plenty of room in there for improvement

But 'we'll just try harder, and back ourselves to get better,' is almost never the answer.

I see the Crows the same way - if we don't change anything, then nothing will change.

I think this is an outstanding post - absolutely spot on.
Personally, I think the last thing holding the Crows back is some backroom ties between some members of the hierarchy and the likes of Thommo, and perhaps a couple more. I don't know when our veterans will be stood down/retire - soon, in a few seasons. I honestly don't know. But what I am fairly confident of is that when they eventually do stand down, there will be no more gold pass relationships and royal treatment, where we will then see the sort of serious change you're referring to.
But as I said, a very good post.

Trading out Bernie.

Sydney unearthed Parker and Hanneberry with picks 30 and 40. We got Sloane like this, but we need more. Lyons and CEY didn't turn into the mids we needed. So time to try again.

Honestly, Danger, BCrouch (uninjured version), MCrouch, Bernie (or Cripps instead of MCrouch...thanks again Stevie Twould be a decent starting midfield group. But our own mistakes and some bad luck have stuffed that- so we need to work out a strategy to get some topliners.

I think the 'we're never in the top of the draft so we can't get the elite talent' is a cop-out: the following players were taken 25+:

Parker
Hannebery
Fyfe
JPK (traded for #39)
Beams
Zach Merrett
Dunkley (special case, but this is where he was picked)
Daniel

Any one of these would be instant massive improvements over Lyons, Douglas, etc.

Well put.

I think the people that really make or break a club are the nameless, faceless talent scouts that scour the land in search of talent. They have a razor sharp eye for detail and unearth the gems. I tend to think Sydney, Hawthorn, and Geelong have been above the rest of the field int this department.

In regards to the names you mentioned on our list, there is one that I think needs to be given a real chance to prove himself - CEY. This habit of playing a rookie once, then dropping him, then bringing him back in months later - that is utter bullsh*t and has to be put to an end. If you recruit rookies, you bl00dy well play them for a string of games and see what they're made of. CEY may indeed be not up to the task, but I think he's shown enough to warrant a regular gig on the big stage.

we seem to be able to cover oppostion tall forwards but we have a real issue shutting down small forwards.

This is what I've been saying for years. There's been all this talk previously that we need another key post down back. Now? That would be the last type of player I'd be looking for. Hartigan is now more than adequate. I've mentioned it just recently that I think he's our most improved player, and he's damn strong, and good overhead.

What we need is:

One/Two elite mids.
As a second priority - a small, lightning quick defender....but with blistering lateral skills, not straight rebound run.

But mids must be the focus.

Speaking of putting lines through players, it was interesting listening to Bickley last night on the radio after the game.

He made the observation last night if the Crows want to improve then Thompson, Douglas, MacKay, Lyons and Luke Brown to him aren't up to it. He wouldn't give Thomo a new deal, but Rowie reckons that it's pretty much a done deal so Bickley said that any new deal for him would have to be conditional on him being prepared to go down to Noarlunga and help out with the SANFL side if he can't perform at a required level.

Maybe Bickley has finally woken up and is as frustrated as we are.

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/rowey-bicks/mark-bickley-s-adelaide-fc-hit-list

Amen. Finally someone from the club (albeit an ex player) has the stones to go public with names; I take my hat off to you Bicks - well done.
I am more than a little eager to hear the response from the Jedi Council at the Crows Nest. Time to nut up.

He works well in congestion. Backs his pace and doesn't get caught. Just gets so little opportunity. Hopefully next year Doedee can hold down half back and Smith can move to Mackay's inside/outside role. I think we could easily have restructured and put a better team on the deck this year. But it would have meant our 3 most experienced players missed out, which would be very unpalatable to that selection committee.
I would prefer to have Seedsman or Cameron in that role. Smith plays his current role better than anyone on our list.

I've read some really good comments here about some of our deficiencies, as well as options moving forward.
While this is not exactly etched in stone, I think most of our clearance mids are, in general terms, inside accumulators. It may not be quite as black and white as that, but I'd say that very few of our blokes truly carry the ball away from the stoppages (cleanly) and hit blokes on leads....or chase down opposition ball carriers that are on the spread.

Look at this way, how many times do we see our blokes crash and bash, then simply slam a hacked kick forward....if they do manage to get their hands on it? All this happens for one reason, and one reason only - lack of genuine leg speed away from stoppages.

When we go into Trade week and the Draft, ideally I'd like to see us secure two established, elite Mids - no question about it. But if we're going to prioritise one type over the other, we absolutely must do something to address our #1 Achilles Heel for years now, and that's genuine leg speed (or lack thereof), above all else. Look at this way, if we do manage to secure an elite in-and-under-grunt type, he'll likely have to replace either Sloane or one of the Crouch brothers, and I just cannot see that happening. There's also the other benefit of lightning quick whippets - they can damn well chase if we don't get the pill first.

The other must is that Cameron, Milera, and Hampton all must get rotated through the middle, regardless of anything else. All day in the middle? No. But some decent rotations. Be damned that they're young and raw - they all have serious pace and we must play them for a decent string of games. What I am utterly fed up with is how we play-and-drop rookies as soon as they have one bad day out; they will not bl00dy improve playing like this.

Tredrea is also on the bandwagon.

He's suggested no to Rockliff and we need can add speed from within, naming Cameron, Smith and Laird. There is no way we would move both Laird and Smith from defence.

This is what shits me, we've now finished another season without knowing if Smith can play as an inside mid at AFL. A position he played as junior. What harm would it have done to throw him in there for a quarter?

Cameron has gone stale at times up forward and yet it took this week to give him some time as a midfielder and what do you know, he was one of our best players.

We are so structured we have no vision.

I very much like this re-jigging. Of all the commentators that give the most honest, accurate, no bullsh*t assessment of different teams and what's needed, it's Tredrea in my books. And has been for some time. He can walk the walk, and shows no bias in his comments.

Can I ask when/where you heard Tredrea mention this?

I think I heard today that Hawthorn handed out 7 debuts this season.

For the 3xtime premiers.

Think about that.
Freo had 6-7 debuts last year but 3-4 had a debut in that infamous port game.

Seems the crows need a good inside mid and a gun winger.

Freo have pick 3 but were in a dilemma. Use pick 3 on Todd Marshall who is a key forward.

The other option is Sam Petrevski Senton. He is similar to Graham Johncock: 180 cms, 80 kgs can play inside mid, wing or on a half back/forward flank.

Oh and he has pace and kick with both feet.

I very much like this re-jigging. Of all the commentators that give the most honest, accurate, no bullsh*t assessment of different teams and what's needed, it's Tredrea in my books. And has been for some time. He can walk the walk, and shows no bias in his comments.

Can I ask when/where you heard Tredrea mention this?
Nine news

Surely that isn't a real question? Hartigan is solid but those two are all australian best defenders in the competition.
Of course its a real question. Some people here think our defence is perfect and needs no work. Thats rubbish. We have a number of positions that can be improved on in defence.
I have examples of how thats correct.

Haha loyd calling Hartigan a wingman on the wash up of adelaides season. Seriously terrible journalism. Imagine him calling Gibson a wingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course its a real question. Some people here think our defence is perfect and needs no work. Thats rubbish. We have a number of positions that can be improved on in defence.
I have examples of how thats correct.

Every defence in the league has weak links,in general the quality and so so players isnt that bad, we could get a better player than hartigan but he is servicable, Lever has more improvemnet in him laird is great and smith is great, tahlia speaks for himself and I quite like Cheney he offers both defence and a bit of run and carry, its actually fairly well balanced, you could bring n Hanpton or Wigg I suppose they are very creative players or even convert say a CEY in to a HBF whom size would be great down there but he is also moves well

Every defence in the league has weak links,in general the quality and so so players isnt that bad, we could get a better player than hartigan but he is servicable, Lever has more improvemnet in him laird is great and smith is great, tahlia speaks for himself and I quite like Cheney he offers both defence and a bit of run and carry, its actually fairly well balanced, you could bring n Hanpton or Wigg I suppose they are very creative players or even convert say a CEY in to a HBF whom size would be great down there but he is also moves well
CEY's disposal is still in question and imo wouldnt trust him in defence just yet. He has the size and the athletiscm but his skills is not what I would want from a half back flanker let alone a defender.

Agree with the rest though. Lever is developing nicely. Laird, Smith and Talia are stars. Cheney to be replaced by Wigg or Doedee over the next few years. Hampton to play more games with a uninterrupted preseason.

You want to put our 70+ Goal kicking excitement machine into the back pocket ?
giphy.gif

He'd certainly want to.

Barely been worth his spot

Definitely flattened towards the end of the year. But being forced outside so Thommo can retain his inside role doesn't help. Working a system around Thommo is costly for individuals as well as the team. With 10% less TOG and less stoppages, Brad still had 2 more effective touches than Thommo on Saturday. Once Thommo is gone, there'll be a couple of players step up with more time in there. Crouch is definitely one, Lyons would be another, but that's looking doubtful.

CEY's disposal is still in question and imo wouldnt trust him in defence just yet. He has the size and the athletiscm but his skills is not what I would want from a half back flanker let alone a defender.

Agree with the rest though. Lever is developing nicely. Laird, Smith and Talia are stars. Cheney to be replaced by Wigg or Doedee over the next few years. Hampton to play more games with a uninterrupted preseason.

Dont disagree, but if you feel like that about CEY he will be 24 next year, there probably isnt much point with him, he probably needs to be cut or traded whilst he has some value.

Hampton is one that has played over 50 games of AFL footy so if he cant break into that team, again a bit of a waste on the list, he was unlucky this year with injury although when he came back in looked smooth

I dont dislike Cheney I think he has a lot more mongrel and is far more desperate than the likes of Hampton, Wigg and Doedee who needs to develop a lot more before getting a gig in front of the two Ive mentioned also he is probab;y after Levers position with his size and build.

Lever is the third tall if needed with Tahlia and Hartigan the two KPB lever sits where that he can pay tall if needed but generally plays on that third medium / Tall player. If he was playing against the crows he should stand Lynch although generally the crows put Cheney on a player like that because of his desperation at the contest

I think this is an outstanding post - absolutely spot on.
Personally, I think the last thing holding the Crows back is some backroom ties between some members of the hierarchy and the likes of Thommo, and perhaps a couple more. I don't know when our veterans will be stood down/retire - soon, in a few seasons. I honestly don't know. But what I am fairly confident of is that when they eventually do stand down, there will be no more gold pass relationships and royal treatment, where we will then see the sort of serious change you're referring to.
But as I said, a very good post.

Not sure this is correct. Without culture change, there will be a new breed of players being rewarded with gold passes. Regardless of form, can you see Sauce being dropped? The issue isn't the players, it's the coaches and I'm not yet convinced we have a desire or the necessary personnel to change.

He put Walker in the same category as Jenkins as well, saying he needed to "toughen up".
He's not at that level but there's an element of truth to it.

Since his knee injury he 'picks and chooses' his contests, feels for the opponents body too often, and stays down a lot more than he should.

I love Tex but he needs to refocus his style, he is certainly not inherently soft though :thumbsu:

Hartigan was awesome on Buddy given the lack of midfield pressure and lack of Lever and a limping Talia after he returned. Brown clearly injured, was very obvious leading into the rest and then a freshen up and big win against the struggling Roos papered over the crack. Cheney is a tough one, can't really knock him, but I maintain the same opinion that he needs to be upgraded.

Forget forward and defence, even outside mids. What happened last night has been a consistent problem for a number of years. Campo and Clark must go, it's their areas of responsibility.

1. Opposition transition between the arcs. We work Campo's 'red carpet' system. All our mids and ruckman follow the contest deep forward leaving open space behind them if we don't win possession. We then get burnt for spread out of our forward line and leave it to our defenders to win their contests.

2. Winning stoppages are s**t. We've got no leg speed outside of B Crouch in there. Sloane is not fast inside stoppages. When pressure is applied at contests, our exits are mostly hacks forward. We've got no creativity or run out of stoppages whatsoever. Getting rid of Thommo would help and from our current list, Lyons, Smith, Rat and CC should have been given more time to see if they can improve our attacking outcome.

3. Losing stoppages are s**t. Everything above that we can't do, we let our opposition do with ease. Imagine being a defender in an open backline watching a stoppage 80m out and the opposition winning the contest and having 3-4 players streaming ahead of the contest with no mids between them and you. I've played in a backline to a midfield like that up here, it's not a good feeling.

The main issue is our coaching and selection. I'm sure they were pulling their hair out wondering why we couldn't do what we'd done the last number of games of the year with the Weagles game an aberration. That Nackay
re-earned his stripes by being average against s**t sides tells us how simplistic our selection panel and coaching group is. "But we thought he'd turned it around, didn't you see him against the might of Freo, Essendon, Brisbane and especially the highly regarded North in a high pressure, cut-throat elimination final." We're too happy to judge our players against s**t opposition and ignore consistent outputs against the best. And that's why we're stuck where we are. We run a system designed to beat poor sides and hope known failures can match it against the best sides when everything's on the line.

Great post, it is so bleeding obvious why can't the numpties in charge see it?

Is it because we base our opinions solely on game day performance whilst the coaches get influenced (far too much) by other factors - how they train, prepare, leadership qualities, good bloke factor etc.

So simple to beat us, opposition setup a couple spare behind the stoppage to mop up our around the corner clearance kicks or they win the clearance, spread and our mids can't keep up resulting in an unpressured kick into their f50.

CEY should have played all season and Thommo should have retired. At least we would have known one way or the other if the kid was going to make it - 2 games what another waste of a season. Our selections were so poor all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back