s**t things your teachers did

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a slobbering 70 year old music teacher, smoker. He used to take your recorder from you to demonstrate how something should be played and hand it straight back to you for you to demonstrate your understanding of said piece by playing it back to him. Got kicked out many a time as I flat out refused to do it. Its been in your mouth campaigner, its ******* yours now!

I (have to) teach recorder

Every kid that is involved in the lessons have their own recorders

Reading some of these stories, I'm glad I wasn't a student any earlier than I was.

Worst I ever had was our primary school music teacher. This was around 2005/06 so nothing physical happened (though he looked as though he probably had a hard drive full of a certain type of illegal pr0n) but he used to scream right in our face if we pissed him off. I mean really fukcin go off, his veins would pop out of his forehead and spit would fly into your face.

primary school music teachers be crazy

Lol
Did everyone in the world have to learn Hot Cross Buns on the recorder?
I learned And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda because it was the 80s and the hippies were still call the shots. Great song, sounded f***ing terrible when played by a bunch of unmotivated, tone deaf ten year olds. Shane and the lads did it much better.

I mean even even when someone could play it 'well' it still sounds like absolute annoying s**t.

I don't reckon I bothered to learn anything whatsoever past the first hot cross buns song, not that I wasn't not at all musically inclined as I had a decent acoustic guitar at home that I could at least play the basics on.

In grade 5 we did some music test to see which kids had an aptitude for music, I was one of them and we were given the choice of learning either guitar or trumpet, for some reason I chose trumpet, probably because a couple of my mates chose trumpet and most of the nerdy kids chose guitar.

If you think recorders sound bad you should hear trumpets played badly, we eventually got better but none of us bothered practicing much which didn't help.

In grade 5 we did some music test to see which kids had an aptitude for music, I was one of them and we were given the choice of learning either guitar or trumpet, for some reason I chose trumpet, probably because a couple of my mates chose trumpet and most of the nerdy kids chose guitar.

If you think recorders sound bad you should hear trumpets played badly, we eventually got better but none of us bothered practicing much which didn't help.
Me also, choice between clarinet and flute. Had to do the flute due to my girly hands. Ian Anderson I aint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are a couple of the top of my head:
  • In Grade 1 my French teacher threw my pencil-case in the bin for some reason (I can't remember why tbh), my response to this was punching her.
  • My Grade 6 teacher also told a bunch of preps that Santa was not real, she is now a pre-school teacher.

Yeah I never understood why they made people learn the recorder.

That time could have be spent learning simple songs on a guitar or piano instead.
Really? It's pretty logical.

The recorder is cheap and mobile, something everyone could afford/take home etc.

Learning the guitar/piano is not feasible. And I don't think any school (elite ones aside perhaps), could afford 30 pianos for kids to play on.

The recorder is cheap and mobile, something everyone could afford/take home etc.

Learning the guitar/piano is not feasible. And I don't think any school (elite ones aside perhaps), could afford 30 pianos for kids to play on.

All very true

I have issues with it being compulsory

Both my primary and high schools had keyboards
We had to learn the goddamn glockenspiel in year 7
We had them too in primary school.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back