Shiv Chanderpaul retires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaRick

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Not the flashiest technique, but undeniably a very effective one. His lack of reliance on his eye enabled him to prop up the West Indian batting lineup for almost a decade after Lara retired, which is no mean feat.

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Was only watching him last night in a video replay of 1996 World Cup semi-final against Australia.
Probably the last time West Indies were any type of power in world cricket.
Always respected Shiv. One of few West Indies in last decade to respect for both ability and application.

worbod

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
He took a while to develop a decent conversion rate once he passed 50. After his first 50 Tests he had 2 centuries and 23 fifties.

In the 13 Tests Chanderpaul played during 2007 and 2008, he scored 1467 runs at an average of 104.78 with 6 centuries. West Indies won only two of these Tests.

ioppolo

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Probably my favourite Windies player (I saw more of him than any of the other greats).
He took a while to develop a decent conversion rate once he passed 50. After his first 50 Tests he had 2 centuries and 23 fifties.

In the 13 Tests Chanderpaul played during 2007 and 2008, he scored 1467 runs at an average of 104.78 with 6 centuries. West Indies won only two of these Tests.
there was a tour of England around then where he went not out in something like 4 or 5 innings in a row. Batted for some ridiculous amount of time before being dismissed.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Incredible powers of concentration, but his ability often gets sold short due to beign so successful at valuing his wicket. Utterly slaughtered the Australian's in just about their pomp for a ton of 69 balls back in 2003. Played some very memorable ODI knocks too, one of the most notable was hitting Chaminda Vaas of all people for six when they needed it off the last ball of the game.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
First time I seen him up close in person playing in an ODI v SL in the 90s I was struck by just how small the bloke was, had a build like a 12 year old boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue1980

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
All time great no doubt. Great article in the guardian about him too.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-goodbye-shiv-chanderpaul-west-indies-cricket

He was the last link in the chain. Amazingly when he made his debut the side still hadn't lost a test series in 14 years and Haynes, Richardson, Lara. Ambrose and Walsh were still in the side. Even the other players such as Hooper, Arthurton and the Benjamin's were more than handy contributors.

Those guys came into the side at a time when excellence was expected and standards had to be met. That eroded away pretty much completely by around 98-99.

worbod

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably my favourite Windies player (I saw more of him than any of the other greats).
there was a tour of England around then where he went not out in something like 4 or 5 innings in a row. Batted for some ridiculous amount of time before being dismissed.
I've finally gotten around to researching this stat. He was actually not out over only two innings, and was then dismissed in the next innings, but had batted for over 1,000 minutes when eventually he was out.

The sequence, from 2007, goes:

3rd Test at Manchester: 116 not out in 413 minutes off 257 balls
4th Test at Chester-Le-Street: 136 not out in 406 minutes off 257 balls (1st innings)
and 70 in 255 minutes off 163 balls (second innings)

Total of 322 runs before being dismissed in 1074 minutes off 677 balls.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
That says a lot about the Windies FC comp.
Not really. it was only in his last 2 series that he started to fail as a test player. aside from those he was still playing well.

That's not to say that their FC comp is great either, but it does have some decent cricketers.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great player, great example of determination and hard work trumping natural flair. Think he got to play a few games at FC level with his son? Pretty amazing stuff.

Top Bottom