Shiv Chanderpaul retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the flashiest technique, but undeniably a very effective one. His lack of reliance on his eye enabled him to prop up the West Indian batting lineup for almost a decade after Lara retired, which is no mean feat.

Was only watching him last night in a video replay of 1996 World Cup semi-final against Australia.
Probably the last time West Indies were any type of power in world cricket.
Always respected Shiv. One of few West Indies in last decade to respect for both ability and application.

He took a while to develop a decent conversion rate once he passed 50. After his first 50 Tests he had 2 centuries and 23 fifties.

In the 13 Tests Chanderpaul played during 2007 and 2008, he scored 1467 runs at an average of 104.78 with 6 centuries. West Indies won only two of these Tests.

Probably my favourite Windies player (I saw more of him than any of the other greats).
He took a while to develop a decent conversion rate once he passed 50. After his first 50 Tests he had 2 centuries and 23 fifties.

In the 13 Tests Chanderpaul played during 2007 and 2008, he scored 1467 runs at an average of 104.78 with 6 centuries. West Indies won only two of these Tests.
there was a tour of England around then where he went not out in something like 4 or 5 innings in a row. Batted for some ridiculous amount of time before being dismissed.

Incredible powers of concentration, but his ability often gets sold short due to beign so successful at valuing his wicket. Utterly slaughtered the Australian's in just about their pomp for a ton of 69 balls back in 2003. Played some very memorable ODI knocks too, one of the most notable was hitting Chaminda Vaas of all people for six when they needed it off the last ball of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All time great no doubt. Great article in the guardian about him too.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-goodbye-shiv-chanderpaul-west-indies-cricket

He was the last link in the chain. Amazingly when he made his debut the side still hadn't lost a test series in 14 years and Haynes, Richardson, Lara. Ambrose and Walsh were still in the side. Even the other players such as Hooper, Arthurton and the Benjamin's were more than handy contributors.

Those guys came into the side at a time when excellence was expected and standards had to be met. That eroded away pretty much completely by around 98-99.

Probably my favourite Windies player (I saw more of him than any of the other greats).
there was a tour of England around then where he went not out in something like 4 or 5 innings in a row. Batted for some ridiculous amount of time before being dismissed.

I've finally gotten around to researching this stat. He was actually not out over only two innings, and was then dismissed in the next innings, but had batted for over 1,000 minutes when eventually he was out.

The sequence, from 2007, goes:

3rd Test at Manchester: 116 not out in 413 minutes off 257 balls
4th Test at Chester-Le-Street: 136 not out in 406 minutes off 257 balls (1st innings)
and 70 in 255 minutes off 163 balls (second innings)

Total of 322 runs before being dismissed in 1074 minutes off 677 balls.

Just scored his 73rd FC ton last night, and has now scored 520 runs from 9 innings this season averaging 74. Good enough for a recall?
It won't happen.

Loved Shiv. Certainly not the flashiest, but his resilience was amazing.

What a legend. To still have that kind of hunger at his age for competing at a professional level is very impressive.

Good game for the old masters - Kumar also delivered a lesson in dominance on the final day of the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back