Shiv Chanderpaul retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in country / grade cricket I find the guys still dominating as they approach and get into their 50's astounding. So for guys like Chanderpaul and Hogg to still be focal points of their respective sides and providing consistent and quality performances in the cut throat world of professional sport (Chanders still going round in county) is just ridiculous.

Why did the windies stop picking him? Hardly got others tearing it up

He did have a couple of pretty ordinary series in a row and to be honest I actually supported the idea of cutting him. They more or less tried to start afresh with a young top order and it’s borne a little bit of fruit so far with Roston Chase and Shai Hope turning into very promising batsmen

He did have a couple of pretty ordinary series in a row and to be honest I actually supported the idea of cutting him. They more or less tried to start afresh with a young top order and it’s borne a little bit of fruit so far with Roston Chase and Shai Hope turning into very promising batsmen

Good point, who are the windies playing next?

Why did the windies stop picking him? Hardly got others tearing it up
This article says the messages are alleged, so can't take it as gospel, but it would appear he was dropped due to poor form, and burnt the bridge back by pissing off Phil Simmons:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/s...d/news-story/a51ddc424e102c50702e1848c0820892
However the most revealing exchange to be made public comes via a series of messages between Chanderpaul and West Indies head coach Phil Simmons, sent via smartphone application Whatsapp.

In the messages Chanderpaul, who scored 11,867 runs from 164 Tests and is just 86 runs short of Brian Lara’s record for the most ever Test runs for West Indies, just about demands the opportunity to farewell his home fans on his own terms.

“My request to finish up with the Australian series is not asking too much,” Chanderpaul reportedly wrote to Simmons. “It gives me a chance to acknowledge my supporters at home, and the possibility of the WICB properly honouring me for my contribution to WI cricket.

“I should not be pushed into retirement. Here is a situation where I firmly believe public opinion would be in favour of me being given the opportunity to play in my final test series at home. Thanks,”

However Simmons, who only took over as coach in April after guiding Ireland through a successful World Cup campaign, was adamant a player’s past service is irrelevant to his future selection.

“There is no dispute that you have dedicated the last 21 years of your life to WI cricket and as stated before this will be acknowledged and recognised by the WICB, but unfortunately length of service is not a criterion for selection.

“If public opinion was a criteria for selection then we can agree maybe you would play until you are fifty unfortunately it is not.

“I am not pushing you into retirement I am as previously said, trying to dignify the situation because Chanderpaul retiring would be more dignified than Chanderpaul being left out by the selectors.”

The decision to dump Chanderpaul ahead of the big home series against world No. 2 side Australia sent shockwaves through the Caribbean.

Shiv had a poor 2018 season in county cricket. He played only 13 first class innings and averaged 19.76. He hasn't appeared in any domestic West Indian games as yet during 2018-19, and at last seems to have actually retired.

Shiv had a poor 2018 season in county cricket. He played only 13 first class innings and averaged 19.76. He hasn't appeared in any domestic West Indian games as yet during 2018-19, and at last seems to have actually retired.

Time to see if Tagenarine kicks on. Started well with 84* from 333 balls!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for building an innings, but that's a tad ridiculous. Striking around 25 won't do him favours in tests. At least he can stay at the crease that long.

All history now but amidst an absolute phone book of ******* s**t decisions over the last 7 years, pushing him to retire when they did was a good one.

He had nothing left to offer, was in poor form, and a 20 year old averaging 25-30 is better than a 40 year old doing the same.
The moves made around that time by Simmons are the very ones starting to manifest themselves in results now.

Shiv hasn't played any cricket for Lancashire this year at any level, not even Second XI games, so it's a mystery why his name was in their squad for 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back