Universal Love Sholl's kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

There's more to being a good AFL player than Lachie's excellent foot skills....Lachie has several other areas of his game that still need a lot of work i.e. his defending one on one, and winning more contested ball. That might come if he's capable of putting on more size but there doesn't seem to be a whole of development in that regard 2 season's in.

Not too many wide receivers have long and successful AFL careers.

Looking forward to when we can add a possession style phase to our game plan with the confidence of having the accurate field kicking skills of Sholl, Schoenberg, Mcpherson, Stengle and hopefully a few others to base our game on.
At the moment Sholl’s kick is meant to be the best of that lot.
In the past / recent times we have had a couple of great kicks (accurate in front of goal) but field kicking has generally been below average for much of the team. We are now building a foundation that should hold us in good stead for the future.
Hamish has deservedly copped some criticism recently re use of top end picks, but at the same time has been choosing players with good foot skills. Reid too with trades (stengle, McAdam).
More of this please!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Banned
Your likewhoring doesn't swing well with this cat.

A cat in crows clothing? Lock the gates.

Also, I fixed my post for your pleasure.

There's more to being a good AFL player than Lachie's excellent foot skills....Lachie has several other areas of his game that still need a lot of work i.e. his defending one on one, and winning more contested ball. That might come if he's capable of putting on more size but there doesn't seem to be a whole of development in that regard 2 season's in.

This isn't an AFL player, this is an appreciation thread for my man Sholl and even more specifically his legs so therefore there is nothing more needed in a leg appreciation thread than needing a good leg and Sholl has two. Bit of love never hurt anyone.

A cat in crows clothing? Lock the gates.

Also, I fixed my post for your pleasure.

This isn't an AFL player, this is an appreciation thread for my man Sholl and even more specifically his legs so therefore there is nothing more needed in a leg appreciation thread than needing a good leg and Sholl has two. Bit of love never hurt anyone.
You must be new to this board....

I disagree with the contested ball. Lachie is at a 28.5% rate of his disposals being contested (CD/D) which is in and around the sweet spot for a player who should be spending his time on the wing. For instance (and using the players listed in Dal Santos top 5 wingmen in the league fluff piece earlier in the year), Issac Smith has made a career batting around 20-25% CD/D, Tom Phillips got up to a 31% CD/D last year, Hunter was 23.5% CD/D last year, Gaff 29.2% CD/D in 2018 and Brad Hill being at 21.2% CD/D in 2019. Lachie has that ratio spot on, if not on the higher side compared to the elite wingers with the contested ball at the moment. So all Lachie needs to do there is just get involved more.

The defence is a worry though, as so far, 3 tackles in 4 games is very concerning. He needs to get that up to 3 a game pronto, as well as just more intercept and one-percenters. He does seem to have a relatively easy path to being an AA winger though, seeing the kick will carry him offensively once he does get more ball, bigger and cleans up the defensive side of things. Of course, relatively easy is still damn hard.

Last edited:
I disagree with the contested ball. Lachie is at a 28.5% rate of his disposals being contested (CD/D) which is in and around the sweet spot for a player who should be spending his time on the wing. For instance (and using the players listed in Dal Santos top 5 wingmen in the league fluff piece earlier in the year), Issac Smith has made a career batting around 20-25% CD/D, Tom Phillips got up to a 31% CD/D last year, Hunter was 23.5% CD/D last year, Gaff 29.2% CD/D in 2018 and Brad Hill being at 21.2% CD/D in 2019. Lachie has that ratio spot on, if not on the higher side compared to the elite wingers with the contested ball at the moment. So all Lachie needs to do there is just get involved more.

The defence is a worry though, as so far, 3 tackles in 4 games is very concerning. He needs to get that up to 3 a game pronto, as well as just more intercept and one-percenters. He does seem to have a relatively easy path to being an AA winger though, seeing the kick will carry him offensively once he does get more ball, bigger and cleans up the defensive side of things. Of course, relatively easy is still damn hard.

AA?!

Unless he gets any defensive intensity about his game, he will be another Atkins. Atkins has a beautiful penetrating kick also but gets manhandled and displays minimal effort in defence. I've seen nothing to suggest Lachie is any different despite it being early and playing in a bad side.

McCluggage couldn't make AA after his season last year when he kicked 20+ goals playing predominately wing. Might need to pump the brakes.

AA?!

Unless he gets any defensive intensity about his game, he will be another Atkins. Atkins has a beautiful penetrating kick also but gets manhandled and displays minimal effort in defence. I've seen nothing to suggest Lachie is any different despite it being early and playing in a bad side.

McCluggage couldn't make AA after his season last year when he kicked 20+ goals playing predominately wing. Might need to pump the brakes.

You missed every other part of that paragraph. It literally started with " The defence is a worry though, as so far, 3 tackles in 4 games is very concerning. He needs to get that up to 3 a game pronto, as well as just more intercept and one-percenters".

At the end of the day, you have a relatively easy path to the top if your biggest issue is defence, and you aren't slow as *. That doesn't mean Sholl is capable of said changes seeing some of it is mental application and stuff like aggression and bravery are things you either have or don't, but it's much easier for someone to develop a defensive game then it is to fix someones kicking, leg speed or vision.

Your boy McHenry seems to have lost muscle mass 2 seasons in. Jones not much better.

He is an interesting one. Most successful uncontested receivers have line breaking ability. Whereas Sholl is more of a distributor.

I think he needs to get relatively good around the stoppage, a Tyson Edwards type player. If he’s going to make it I think that’s his role. But lots of work on his contested game needed to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, he's a kick-in taker and distributor from defence being proficiently dual-sided. Can instantly wheel onto either foot and switch the play. Contest work can be improved but not a major priority. Similar player to Richmond's Jayden Short.

Id play up in a midfield role, but ensure in defensive kick ins he's positioned 30-40m out in the corridor.

Go sideways and you can use him on either side of the ground running past to get a handball, or in position to switch it either way.

Nothing more annoying than it going left, then it gets switched to Matt Crouch in the middle, who then takes so long to get into a position to kick on his left, the switch is no longer there.

I like the kid, but he needs a bigger body to impact the game more.

A guy with his footskills is going to attract attention soon enough, and he's built like DMac which isn't ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back