Short blokes who could jump

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching Liam 'Flyin'' Ryan last night, his jumping and marking capabilities are impressive as ever. Which got me thinking of all the shorter players known for their high leaping and marking abilities, past ans present. Ryan and Puopolo probably stand out out of the current mob. Heck Caleb Daniel isn't too bad. No doubt I've missed a few. By short I mean short by AFL standards, like under 185cm. Jimmy Bartel wasn't too bad in that department either.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
0CBA957F-6232-4C4F-9DBF-9641D4EBDB20.gif

This guy goes alright.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Is there something that says shorter blokes shouldn't be able to jump?

Marking (or dunking a basketball) is as much about timing and coordination as it is about vertical leaping ability.

6'0" (183cm) isn't necessarily "short", either, given that average height for adult males is 5'9"-5'10" (175-178cm).

#killjoy

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Is there something that says shorter blokes shouldn't be able to jump?

Marking (or dunking a basketball) is as much about timing and coordination as it is about vertical leaping ability.

6'0" (183cm) isn't necessarily "short", either, given that average height for adult males is 5'9"-5'10" (175-178cm).

#killjoy

Taller humans can, on average, jump higher. Longer legs, more leverage. Simple physics. But height isn't the only factor of course.

We're talking footy players though.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Taller humans can, on average, jump higher. Longer legs, more leverage. Simple physics. But height isn't the only factor of course.

We're talking footy players though.

It's more about ability to generate explosive power and get your bodyweight off the ground, not leverage or length of the levers. It looks like taller players jump higher, because they're probably reaching a higher point due to their length and reach combined with the leap, but it's not really the case.

Generally (for example) among players vertical leap tested at the NBA Draft Camp, it's not the tallest players that test out on top. If we were grouping AFL players into tall (6'3"/191cm+ groups) and not tall (sub-6'3"/191cm), I would expect the not tall group to test just as well if not better in vertical leap.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's more about ability to generate explosive power and get your bodyweight off the ground, not leverage or length of the levers. It looks like taller players jump higher, because they're probably reaching a higher point due to their length and reach combined with the leap, but it's not really the case.

Generally (for example) among players vertical leap tested at the NBA Draft Camp, it's not the tallest players that test out on top. If we were grouping AFL players into tall (6'3"/191cm+ groups) and not tall (sub-6'3"/191cm), I would expect the not tall group to test just as well if not better in vertical leap.

Maybe being TOO tall can be a disadvantage in some ways, but in terms of maximum jump height + reach, height is obviously an advantage, as a greater reach allows you to get high for marks and spoils.

Back