Short blokes who could jump

Remove this Banner Ad

Records for the AFL combine for standing and running jump are filtered across blokes between 6'0" and 6'7". Obviously at 6'7" NicNat is going to be reaching higher than Jesse Lonergan at 6'0".

Maybe being TOO tall can be a disadvantage in some ways, but in terms of maximum jump height + reach, height is obviously an advantage, as a greater reach allows you to get high for marks and spoils.

Well yeah, obviously you'll be able to reach higher if you are taller. My point was though, you can't necessarily generate more power and jump higher (like if we were measuring vertical leap) because you are taller.

Michael Osborne, Ashley Sampi and Paul Chapman off the top of my head. Quite a few smaller blokes who could jump over the years.

AFL legend, Bob Pratt (180cm) was one of the greatest aerialists of all time

He kicked 681 goals (109 in 1933, 150 in 1934, 103 in 1935)

270px-BobPrattleaping.jpg
Laurie_Nash1937.jpg

61892876f8a2d6413c95aaa82f0c395b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more about ability to generate explosive power and get your bodyweight off the ground, not leverage or length of the levers. It looks like taller players jump higher, because they're probably reaching a higher point due to their length and reach combined with the leap, but it's not really the case.

Generally (for example) among players vertical leap tested at the NBA Draft Camp, it's not the tallest players that test out on top. If we were grouping AFL players into tall (6'3"/191cm+ groups) and not tall (sub-6'3"/191cm), I would expect the not tall group to test just as well if not better in vertical leap.
Yeah but, not "tall" for NBA is 6'5'' and below.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the vertical jump record BTW, at 48 inches.

Maybe being TOO tall can be a disadvantage in some ways, but in terms of maximum jump height + reach, height is obviously an advantage, as a greater reach allows you to get high for marks and spoils.

It’s a pretty fine balance I think. Power and strength in the legs is all important, but if you’re too heavy (muscular) overall then physics takes over and it’s harder to get it off the ground.

Jeremy Howe is probably the model.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back