Short blokes who could jump

digrar

Draftee
Nov 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Records for the AFL combine for standing and running jump are filtered across blokes between 6'0" and 6'7". Obviously at 6'7" NicNat is going to be reaching higher than Jesse Lonergan at 6'0".

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Maybe being TOO tall can be a disadvantage in some ways, but in terms of maximum jump height + reach, height is obviously an advantage, as a greater reach allows you to get high for marks and spoils.

Well yeah, obviously you'll be able to reach higher if you are taller. My point was though, you can't necessarily generate more power and jump higher (like if we were measuring vertical leap) because you are taller.

SSrixon

Senior List
Sep 6, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Michael Osborne, Ashley Sampi and Paul Chapman off the top of my head. Quite a few smaller blokes who could jump over the years.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Corry Bewick took the greatest mark I have ever witnessed for West Perth. It was like a running leap. Amazing leap for a 175cm.
If i recall correctly, I think it was Russell Ellen at the front who was 6 foot 3...
Screenshot from 2019-05-12 13:20:14.png

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
It's more about ability to generate explosive power and get your bodyweight off the ground, not leverage or length of the levers. It looks like taller players jump higher, because they're probably reaching a higher point due to their length and reach combined with the leap, but it's not really the case.

Generally (for example) among players vertical leap tested at the NBA Draft Camp, it's not the tallest players that test out on top. If we were grouping AFL players into tall (6'3"/191cm+ groups) and not tall (sub-6'3"/191cm), I would expect the not tall group to test just as well if not better in vertical leap.
Yeah but, not "tall" for NBA is 6'5'' and below.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the vertical jump record BTW, at 48 inches.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe being TOO tall can be a disadvantage in some ways, but in terms of maximum jump height + reach, height is obviously an advantage, as a greater reach allows you to get high for marks and spoils.

It’s a pretty fine balance I think. Power and strength in the legs is all important, but if you’re too heavy (muscular) overall then physics takes over and it’s harder to get it off the ground.

Jeremy Howe is probably the model.

Back