Short blokes who could jump

One of the classic photos - 175cm Merv Hobbs

1557712761905.png

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Darren Cuthbertson, ex-Demon. Dees fans will know of his leaping ability. Even though he wasn't really short (185cm), my Dad worked with him briefly, during his AFL career, and Cuthbertson entertained his work-mates by jumping onto the flat-bed of a ute from a standing start.

For the Dogs, Jim Edmond (183cm) was a strong mark with a fair leap, but the standout would be Brett Montgomery (180cm) - had 3 nominations for mark of the year in 98 or 99.

Accepted 04

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
For the Tigers it’s probably Shai Bolton, won the mark of the year in the VFL and is a big leap for a small forward

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As good as Cyril is, Puopolo is a better aerialist for a genuine screamer. No shame in that, either

In the immortal words of Kath and Kim, “Look at mee”. And if you won’t acknowledge my aerial brilliance and are jealously looking to take me down a peg, well here in Australia we have a term for that kind of thing...

dillo_09

All Australian
Mar 14, 2002
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Collingwood
Greatest mark of all time.

Not even CLOSE!!

Great grab (spectacular, huge effort, great height, short bloke all of that) no doubt, but not in the top 10 of all time.

Many other marks in the open air, wet weather, with numerous opponents and other factors keep Moorecrofts out of the conversation of the best of all time. Still say Tarrant was robbed of MOTY that season.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vQFvixi5_2g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
This bloke went alright at 174 cm

I feel like Farmer is the answer to half the “name a player” threads - small, mercurial, underrated, best mark, best performance, favourite player, favourite indigenous player...the list goes on.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cyril had a huge leap on him, nearly took one of the great marks of the modern era a couple of years ago against port, had the agility and reflexes of a cat as well used to land on his feet after going for a big mark.

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not even CLOSE!!

Great grab (spectacular, huge effort, great height, short bloke all of that) no doubt, but not in the top 10 of all time.

Many other marks in the open air, wet weather, with numerous opponents and other factors keep Moorecrofts out of the conversation of the best of all time. Still say Tarrant was robbed of MOTY that season.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vQFvixi5_2g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's harder to mark over one person than over a pack.
It's also harder to mark with arms outstretched than on the chest.

Moorcroft's was incredible.

Even more so is the often forgotten fact that he had already kicked 5 goals in the first half and was the centre of attention. He was being tagged by Brad Johnson because he had already humiliated Contessa.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm remember Alan Ezard from Essendon taking a big hanger in the back pocket one day over a ruckman, it might have been over Harry Madden.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wayne Harmes was around 178 cms, he was taking a screamer most weeks.
I reckon my all-time favourite player, Ken Hunter (6ft) was pound for pound the best high mark of all time. Great leap, the best pair of hands ever and above all else, amazing, stupid courage.

Was shattered when he went to Carlton. The rumour was he was going from Tigers to Tigers. As much as it hurt, he made the right choice - wouldn't have won 3 flags at Richmond, although it did look a good possibility at the time.

Your club needs to start a campaign. I know you got Johnston in last year so it may not happen straight away but Kenny needs to be next on Carlton's AFL Hall of Fame list. Time the WAFC got behind it as well. P Bell (inducted a few years ago) a better footballer than Ken Hunter? Please.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Heeney isn't exactly small, but one of those Ginger Meggs-esque players who just seems to have eyes exceeding his size, pulls it out of the air through sheer hunger.

Back