Short-Lived or Forgotten Media Careers of Ex-Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Brett Lovett in the 90s doing a few gigs and he was always so nervous he'd sweat like a prostitute in church. His finally appearance was on the footy show and they spent the whole 90 minutes ripping into him about his wet face. Around 94 I think.

Not short-lived but perhaps forgotten. Doug Hawkins was possibly the biggest TV star in Melbourne for a while. Couldn’t put a sentence together.

Swings a traffic lollipop on commercial building sites these days.
Love Doug but have to concur.
He was doing special comments for that Essendon v North classic, safe to say he didn’t add much
Remember dermie saying that Doug had genius playing IQ

Love Doug but have to concur.
He was doing special comments for that Essendon v North classic, safe to say he didn’t add much
Remember dermie saying that Doug had genius playing IQ

I also remember Trevor Marmalade saying that Dougie's nickname was 'Braveheart' because he was the only other person to slaughter as much English.

You can't say Leigh Colbert and leave out Rohan Smith.
Rohan was stiff that his best mate johnno took his gig
Assistant coach mentoring the young fellas is perfect for his skill set
Am waiting for the day! Eddie works out bucks can’t coach and hands him a premo media gig!
But goes along the lines of” Nathan has decided to retire from coaching & return to his love of being a media commmentator”

The sooner Bucks gets away from Eddie the better
Is a media star and surely doesn’t need Anybody propping him up for a media gig

Going back a few years here, but back in the late 80's Mike Fitzpatrick had a stint at commentating on the Winners (channel 2)
Truly the worst television I can remember.....it actually may have caused the premature death of Doug Heywood;)

I remember Brett Lovett in the 90s doing a few gigs and he was always so nervous he'd sweat like a prostitute in church. His finally appearance was on the footy show and they spent the whole 90 minutes ripping into him about his wet face. Around 94 I think.
Haha! I remember that, he started with a light blue shirt and finished with a dark blue shirt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...if ever there was guy who took himself too seriously.

Staying on topic, whilst he was one of my footballing heroes at Carlton, SOS was the classic 'Captain Obvious' when doing special comments on Channel 10.

Man, I thought SOS was really good hey. I especially remember his time as special comments guy on Ch 10 as the eagles were doing really well then. Overall I thought SOS was a really good bloke aswell, not a whole lot of ego.

Footy can be a simple game really, and sometimes those captain obvious ones are all that needs to be said, lucky we had SOS who was all over it!

Nathan Buckley being on channel 7 right before Collingwood brought him back. I'd completely forgotten about him being a commentator for almost a decade until I stumbled across some old highlights.

I don't remember hating SOS' commentary either, could possibly be just Channel 10 nostalgia reviewing th 2005 finals series.

I remember circa 2015 when Bomber Thompson was on the Fox Footy comentary team...what a disaster.

His commentary was drier than my lawn on a hot summer's day, no charisma whatsoever.

I don't think he lasted too long.
Bomber clearly has had and continues to have issues in his life. Looks like he's aged 30 years since he coached the Cats. I honestly worried about his mental health anytime I saw him on TV.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any links to any of Drew Banfields work ?

Pav seems pretty boring, don't mind Peter Bell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back