Remove this Banner Ad

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
elmoIceT.jpg
funny thing was, i didn't realise who it was til AFTERWARDS. he had a black eye. i blame that.

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
11071104.jpg
i enjoy this photo, for some reason it makes me feel better about all the scandals that have happened over the off-season for St Kilda. I feel like they're trying to say "don't feel bad".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
how awful is the hair? i mean really, it looks absolutely atrocious. i couldn't pick out any resemblence of style in it. :thumbsdown:
thats the old hair.... i think they ended up getting sick of it, well, the drummer, Bradie did anyway, I recall on one of their random videos, they were driving somewhere, he was driving, and he said "you know, i think the haters are right. we need to cut our hair cos whenever Shaun sits in the back-seat I can't see a thing." that was shot down. in the end they said they know there's people out there who just like them cos they have the hair and the eyeliner and so they said they cut their hair,took off the eyeliner and changed their music because they wanted to piss off the people who only like them for their looks, also to quote Shaun "i want to look like a man! i'm 21 for f**ks sake! I don't want to look like a 16-yr-old glam rocker. it was fine when we were in our teens but now its just gay."
3290240ced409cee_normal_009_1_.jpg
its a pretty big change.

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
yet they still play music that appeals to the same demographic.
it has changed alot actually. they were saying that they knew they had to make another album because they got to the point where they hated playing the songs off their first album. they were saying they were at the age, where they'd be listening to something different every week and then they made their album and they were playing the songs so often. and when they were asked what they thought of their audience being mainly teenage girls, they said "we'd rather it be teenage girls than 40 year old dudes. we could take over the world with our army of girls." like they actually have fans in UK and USA! They sold out a tour in the UK before even releasing a single over there!

anti_

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
ive seen them on tv.

besides...if you've seen one 4 chord progression piece of s**t pop punk song, you've seen them all.

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
ive seen them on tv.

besides...if you've seen one 4 chord progression piece of s**t pop punk song, you've seen them all.
and you would've seen 4 songs max, and they would've been their poppiest songs, the ones they base on the charts, whats in and whats gonna sell. it would've been Princess, Sway Sway Baby, Shimmy A Go Go and Drop Dead Gorgeous, maybe Planets, maybe We Dance To A Different Disco Honey. try listening to their ballads, or their harder songs.
http://www.themusicnetwork.com/revi...album-review-short-stack-this-is-bat-country/
http://www.beat.com.au/content/short-stack-bat-country
http://www.messandnoise.com/releases/2000806
http://alienhits.blogspot.com/2010/11/track-by-track-short-stack-this-is-bat.html

have a peek at these, particularly the last one..seems they're going ok! according to music experts anyway.

i quote: "I get the impression from reviews and editorial coverage that Short Stack are one of the planet’s most critically hated bands. I’m not sure what they did to deserve this, other than being an easy target for bitter listeners. Sure, their debut, for the most part, was nothing special and completely derivative (aka: the exact type of emo-rock I moaned about when Fall Out Boy popularized it a few years ago), but every band deserves a second chance. And I’m here to make an audacious (and possibly unpopular?) announcement. Short Stack have released one of the best albums of 2010. Yep, one of the best. It takes me back to when rock music was fun. Huge choruses, even bigger guitar riffs, and charisma to spare. "

anti_

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
"Anonymous said...

I completely agree with this, it's definitely my favourite album of the year and probably of all time."

i'd want to remain anonymous too...

she/he gave just about every song 10/10. how can you take it seriously?

the same reviewer (i think) also wrote this about arcade fire:

"After near-universal praise of their breakthrough album, I still wasn't sold. Despite some magnificent high points, Funeral just didn't add up to much for me."

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
"Anonymous said...

I completely agree with this, it's definitely my favourite album of the year and probably of all time."

i'd want to remain anonymous too...

she/he gave just about every song 10/10. how can you take it seriously?

the same reviewer (i think) also wrote this about arcade fire:

"After near-universal praise of their breakthrough album, I still wasn't sold. Despite some magnificent high points, Funeral just didn't add up to much for me."
do you want me to find the worst review i can then? the worst i can find is of their first album, so here it is.
Sigh. Deep breaths.

There’s only so much I can say about this album without pulling my hair out and getting admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

Everything you need to hear in this album is in the first 2 seconds of the opening track. The simple words ‘Ladies and Gentlemen’ will leave your ears cringing, burning and begging for something else.

Sure, maybe I’m a bit biased. But to me, Short Stack is everything I hate about music rolled into one little 3-piece band. They are hollow, lack actual musical talent, and have altered their “sound” to the ‘Tween’ market – 14-year old girls who have convinced themselves that each of the members is their ‘true love’ and have no idea what real music is. Although at least this means they won’t be around for long when those girls finally grow up.

Diviney’s vocals are terrible. They’re gritty, out-of-key (to a point where he’s practically tone-deaf) and piercing, like nails on a blackboard. Usually I’m against this, but, haven’t you heard of auto-tune? Although, I’m not sure if all the auto-tune in the world would be able to help these guys.

Looking at their MySpace page, you can see that their musical “influences” range from Blink 182, Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy – these bands however, actually have some form of talent, and the only talent Short Stack have is the ability to apply make-up better then most girls, and to squeeze themselves into their little sisters skinny-leg jeans.

One glance at any photo of this band, and you immediately get the impression that they’ve started a band for the wrong reasons – focusing on their image more then their musicianship, and on fame more then fans.

The album cover even manages to encompass this, skull and crossbones with a heart? That’s the way to win 14-year old girls affections. No joke there.

The chord progression is simple, the lyrics are terrible, and the overall execution of the songs is even worse. I am unable to comprehend how they actually managed to score a record deal, let alone reach number one on the ARIA charts on the first week of the debut release.

But in order to try and remain whatever amount of objectivity I have left, I took the album to a few friends, and tried to get their opinions. Many refused to listen, covering their ears and screaming expletives. One listened to exactly 13 seconds of ‘Princess’ before tearing the headphones away and saying he’d “rather grind my testicles in a garlic crusher then listen to this s**t.” And yes, that is a direct quote folks.

So, yes, bring on the comments saying how wrong I am and how s**t this review is and how Short Stack are “amazing and talented” musicians. I apologies in advance if this review offends you in some degree, I just dislike it so much. It’s another example of a ‘trend’ band taking advantage of young and impressionable teens who think that clothing from Jay-Jays is punk or that playing music from your mobile-phone on public transport is badass. I can only hope that this will not last much longer.

yeah so enjoy that.

oh, and here's an interview with the same interview with bassist ANDY, i just picked a couple of choice questions.

I've got to mention this since we are talking about the loyalty of your fans: one of our reviewers gave the new record an absolute flogging and I have got to hand it to your fans, they came RUNNING to the rescue to defend you. That review has received the most attention any review on our site has ever had by a country mile. It seems like they would almost die defending you guys. Would that be an accurate assumption?

We don’t treat our fans as fans, we treat them as friends. If someone talks s**t on your friend, you're going to defend them. I originally tweeted the link to this review because I found it rather comical. I did not ask or expect any of them to respond to it, but I guess they saw it as much of a joke as I did. I was originally under the impression that Killyourstereo was a site where the reviewers had some musical knowledge. Rather than an open mike night where bias, over opinionated and most likely overweight people can write a funny review to impress their friends. Kind of takes away any credibility the site has. The mere fact that she spends more time commenting on our image, MySpace and fans, rather than the album itself is a testament to this.

I mean really, terrible lyrics? “I got away with words, and you got away with murder", those lyrics are genius. Perhaps she should be writing columns for Woman’s Weekly rather than Killyourstereo?

And obviously, for all the thousands of kids that love Short Stack, there are the same out there that hate on you guys. Why do you think people would hate Short Stack?

Part of putting yourself out there is the fact that, no matter how good or bad you are people are going to love you and people are going to hate you. While we understand that our music is not for everyone, a lot of people have the impression that we have popped up overnight, heavily manufactured, and are just in it for the money.

These are the facts...

We have been a band for over five years, doing show after show building up a fan base, there and on MySpace. We have always played the same style of music, it's the music we enjoy listening to and the music we enjoy playing. We are signed to an Indy label. We write all our own songs, run our own MySpace, design all our own merch and posters. Every decision in this band is made or approved by the three of us.

We are as poor as any other band starting up out there. We all live at home with our parents; every cent we have ever earned has gone back into the band, paying for new instruments, film clips and recordings. We do it cause we love doing it, and will most likely keep doing it even if there are no fans left to play to. A lot of people seem to think we only have fans because of the way we look, but at the end of the day you could be the best looking, the nicest and the most musically talented band in the world, but if your songs suck you won’t get anywhere. Lucky for us (no matter what the haters say) our songs are catchy as hell :). I guess the famous saying comes into play, "Don't hate us cause we're beautiful." :D

Premiersupporter

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2010
vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
im unsure if the band members are actually that naive to believe what they say.
ok, let me just get this straight. u find it hard to believe that THEY believed that someone thought they were that bad.... is that right?? do correct me.

Back