Should 18-19 year olds not be ashamed of wearing head gear after the Gaff/Brayshaw incident?

Should youngsters(18-19) be encouraged to wear headgear in the AFL?

• Yes they should, its the equivalent of putting a wise persons head on a young persons shoulder.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • No, what are you smoking?

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • No, because you have failed to consider A, B and C.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets just run around complimenting and hugging each other.

images

Tie players hands behind their backs so they cant use their fists.

Then helmets, when people start headbutting.
Tie their hands to short lengths of rope attached to their waist so they can still handball, but cant punch

If 18 year olds are not ready to play AFL then they should not be playing.
When I watch a game of AFL I believe I am watching the best of the best, I am not watching a development comp or a junior comp. all I see is 44 men taking the field to do battle.
If an 18 year old feels he wants to wear a helmet then good for him but it makes no difference to how I view his performance whether he is 18 or 28 years old.he either can play or he can’t play.
If anyone feels we need to look after our young players more then those players should not be playing AFL. This is the best of the best comp, not a bloody junior comp.

If 18 year olds are not ready to play AFL then they should not be playing.
When I watch a game of AFL I believe I am watching the best of the best, I am not watching a development comp or a junior comp. all I see is 44 men taking the field to do battle.
If an 18 year old feels he wants to wear a helmet then good for him but it makes no difference to how I view his performance whether he is 18 or 28 years old.he either can play or he can’t play.
If anyone feels we need to look after our young players more then those players should not be playing AFL. This is the best of the best comp, not a bloody junior comp.

Well this is the point.

If Brayshaw was Chris Judd in his first year he was still good. Did he not kick 5 goals or so versus the Lions in his first year.

If first year Judd is replacing Bradshaw does his jaw break and if 4 year Judd replaces Bradshaw does the Judd break if everything else is identical?

A helmet in itself no. But a helmet with an incorporated chin restraint will prevent most jaw breakages.

98647d1271728297-these-british-israeli-chin-straps-helmet3.jpg

Could be chin restraint with a just a foil on top not covering ears and eyes so hearing and sight not effected!!

:D Cannot see players punching the top of the head in a footy match!!

If we are talking about chin and shoulder punches going wrong obviously the chin/jaw is more at risk.

Well this is the point.

If Brayshaw was Chris Judd in his first year he was still good. Did he not kick 5 goals or so versus the Lions in his first year.

If first year Judd is replacing Bradshaw does his jaw break and if 4 year Judd replaces Bradshaw does the Judd break if everything else is identical?

I don’t know the mechanics or strength of all that, I am just fed up with hearing excuses offered to AFL players in a best of the best comp. The excuses go well past 50 games for most, He is just a kid is the most used term at AFL games. Understand it at colts level but not at AFL.

I don’t know the mechanics or strength of all that, I am just fed up with hearing excuses offered to AFL players in a best of the best comp. The excuses go well past 50 games for most, He is just a kid is the most used term at AFL games. Understand it at colts level but not at AFL.
Because it's true, there's guys who play 50 games and are 21 and still miles off their peak. Coaches get a lot of pressure to play the kids. Lists are stacked with developmental prospects.

Hopefully more mature talent finds its way in to the league so only the young guys who are ready to play get games but that might be a while off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37412401.jpg

The chin-strap of the helmet offers no protection for the mouth, it is only there to hold the helmet on. Brayshaw would have got more protection from wearing the helmet than if he wore shin pads under his socks.

Because it's true, there's guys who play 50 games and are 21 and still miles off their peak. Coaches get a lot of pressure to play the kids. Lists are stacked with developmental prospects.

Hopefully more mature talent finds its way in to the league so only the young guys who are ready to play get games but that might be a while off.

I have no idea why clubs have gone down this pathway or where this pathway came from. Hopefully as they continue to have no success doing it they will eventually work it out that players not ready or good enough have no place in the AFL.

I have no idea why clubs have gone down this pathway or where this pathway came from. Hopefully as they continue to have no success doing it they will eventually work it out that players not ready or good enough have no place in the AFL.
Clubs have gone down this path due to the draft, stock pilling talent and bringing them through together. And because the gap between the stage leagues and AFL is such that more often than not a 19 year old is better than a 25 year old without elite training and development. Just look at the state leagues to see young AFL players dominating.

The thing is Andy Brayshaw is good enough to play AFL. But probably more like 10-15 games on a flank and not head to head with the best players. Unfortunately in this situation he's been sent to Gaff who really isn't an overtly physical player to learn about running patterns and ball movement and he's copped a stray fist. Who knows if he was 25 or had played 100 league games if that would make any difference. Really this is a freak incident. It's worth considering whether 18 year olds should play in the big time but it also wasn't set up to fail like if you sent an 18 year old to Jono Brown in his prime.

Clubs have gone down this path due to the draft, stock pilling talent and bringing them through together. And because the gap between the stage leagues and AFL is such that more often than not a 19 year old is better than a 25 year old without elite training and development. Just look at the state leagues to see young AFL players dominating.

The thing is Andy Brayshaw is good enough to play AFL. But probably more like 10-15 games on a flank and not head to head with the best players. Unfortunately in this situation he's been sent to Gaff who really isn't an overtly physical player to learn about running patterns and ball movement and he's copped a stray fist. Who knows if he was 25 or had played 100 league games if that would make any difference. Really this is a freak incident. It's worth considering whether 18 year olds should play in the big time but it also wasn't set up to fail like if you sent an 18 year old to Jono Brown in his prime.

I can’t talk for outside of WA but in the WAFL the young AFL listed players struggle to get a kick, they are not ready for WAFL league footy. If you are a seasoned WAFL player and you line up on a young AFL listed player it’s happy birthday time.
And that’s not bagging the young bloke it’s just always been that way. Men v boys doesn’t work.

Concussion is mostly caused by where the brain moves inside the skull and hits the interior walls of the skull

Outside hits to the head is not what is causing the issue

I have watched and looked at brain injuries a lot and have worked wit( people with acquired brain injuries some from sports injuries ....

When two bodies moving at speed hit each other there’s massive amounts of g force where the brain is chucked around inside our skull ...that’s what causes the issue mostly and why nfl players who wear massive helmets are still getting concussed our a regular basis.

Helmet potentially make it worse ....giving a player a false sense of security tha he can go in harder ...he thinks I’m ok I’ve got a helmet on ....ok thats the concussion part and I know that wasn’t the original topic

I’m terms of players being ready...coaches should not be sending kids out there that are not ready for our brutal game ....our game is brutal 360 degrees tackling by guys that weigh 100kg plus.....midfielders weigh 95kg

They have spent years in the gym and are balls of steal

Seriously these guys can hurt you and will

Maybe a rule ....ok no one likes rules .....but maybe 18-20 year olds can only play a set amount of games per season.....say 15 games ....just a throw away figure

In terms of the king hit .....we are looking at this the wrong way .....gaff did the wrong thing .....we have the triunbal as a deterrent ...hmmm which fails ....sorry I’m a fan of the red card but let’s leave that for red card thread which I’ve posted in.

Helmets will not stop the injuries they are elledgely aimed at ...

The helmet would not have covered his jaw so the outcome would have been exactly the same!!!!

WTF is this

Back