Politics & Government Should a baker be forced to bake gay wedding cakes?

Should the gov be able to force a baker to bake gay wedding cakes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL. You clearly don't know me very well.

Why is it that anyone that doesn't agree with your misguided (some would say programmed) views on equal rights you think it's due to some sort of media programming?

Rather ironic too given you linked to a story from the Murdoch press. The very same people you think are brainwashing everyone that disagrees with you.:confused:

Why is it that anyone that doesn't agree with your misguided (some would say programmed) views on equal rights you think it's due to some sort of media programming?
What do you think are my views about 'equal rights'? I don't believe I have stated them.

I know what yours are, though. Gay marriage must be supported by bakers and those who disagree should be sent to SENSITIVITY TRAINING, while multiple marriage should not be afforded the same state-mandated enforcement.

Your views on 'equal rights' are, thus, anything but based on equality.

I'd like to think if I owned my own business that I COULD pick & choose who I provided my services to.

This isn't the 1950s. Refusing service without a good reason such as aggressive/abusive customers lands you in trouble with the authorities.

If somebody wants a cake with "Suck my **** you giant ***" on it then he should just shut the * up and make it.

What do you think are my views about 'equal rights'? I don't believe I have stated them.
They are sticking out like the proverbial.

I know what yours are, though. Gay marriage must be supported by bakers and those who disagree should be sent to SENSITIVITY TRAINING, while multiple marriage should not be afforded the same state-mandated enforcement.
So you're anti-gay marriage but pro-polygamy?

You're against the one that would protect equal rights but not against one that would deny equal rights?

How bizarre.

FWIW, homosexuality isn't a choice. I'm afraid that those that still don't understand that are probably too pre-programmed to wake up anytime soon. I live in hope. So gay marriage is just providing homosexuals the same rights afforded to everyone else in the community (hence it being an equal rights issue).

Polygamy is a life-style choice. Personally I don't have a moral objection if it can be done in such a way to prevent exploitation, but because we can't, modern societies have decided it's best to limit people in marriage to one spouse. Campaign hard if you feel strongly about it (or move to one of the numerous countries that allow it).

Your views on 'equal rights' are, thus, anything but based on equality.
Christ you peddle some nonsense when you've got a bee in your bonnet.

Why don't you tell us why you're really pissed off about this case?

I'm very pro gay rights i just don't see the issue in this scenario. I have alot of gay friends and in this situation it wouldn't bother them, they'd just go somewhere else and think the cake baker was a dick.

The sooner Homosexuals are granted universal equal rights in regards to marital and legal co habitual status the better for me. I won't have to put up with these ridiculous news articles. Who gives a toss what Tom did to Dick whilst Harry was watching.

How in god's name could purchasing a wedding cake ever be considered an 'illegal activity'?

Have you gone mad?
Actually the making and supplying of a gay wedding cake on the baker's part, in a place like that where gay marriage is illegal, would be supporting an illegal activity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually the making and supplying of a gay wedding cake on the baker's part, in a place like that where gay marriage is illegal, would be supporting an illegal activity
So tell me . . . what's the punishment for this "illegal activity"?

So tell me . . . what's the punishment for this "illegal activity"?
No idea, have never been to Colorado. Probably nothing. Point is that it was hypocritical and ridiculous of that system to take him to court for discrimination in the context of a discriminatory law!

Originally voted no, but I think I'm leaning in the other direction now. The 'sensitivity training' is silly, but refusal of service is a legitimate issue. It's essentially similar to not letting the black kids ride the roller coaster at a theme park, but letting them go on all the other rides and claiming it's based on 'idealogical differences'. And before someone chimes in, it's not logically possible to be anti-homosexual marriage and not anti-homosexuality. You object to the ceremony. OK then, why do you object to it? Because you don't view a homosexual relationship as the equivalent of a heterosexual marriage. Why would that be I wonder?

It is rather contradictory that Colorado does not recognise same sex marriage.

. And before someone chimes in, it's not logically possible to be anti-homosexual marriage and not anti-homosexuality. You object to the ceremony. OK then, why do you object to it? Because you don't view a homosexual relationship as the equivalent of a heterosexual marriage. Why would that be I wonder?

Sure it is. You can support people's right to be homosexual (which in itself is punishable in certain countries) without supporting their marriage. I'd argue that the baker's views on gay marriage are more reflective of his stance on marriage rather than his stance on gays.

Anyway the whole thing is the equivalent of being forced by a teacher to apologise for something mean you said to someone in high school. Nothing really has changed and all you've done is allowed someone in power to flex their muscles.

So you're anti-gay marriage but pro-polygamy?
Wrong.

I have this antiquated view that what two or more adults get up to is their business. Not the state's.

Why should a government be required to recognise any marriage in the first place? It kinda made sense when we were all trained to believe that the government derived its power from divine right (i.e. God).

Now that we are trained to believe that government is legitimate because without we would all kill each other (as opposed to divine right), where is the need for the state to decide who can and can't marry?

Asking for the state to 'recognise' your 'love'/'relationship' is about as childish as it gets. Whether you are hetero, homo, poly, whatever.

BUT IF WE ARE ALL SO CHILDISH that we need the state to 'recognise' our 'love'/'relationships' then I say let any and all adults get 'married'. Two gay guys, go for it. They ought to have just as much right as a hetero couple. Or a man and five wives. Or a woman and five men. Or three men and three women. Etc.

That is equal rights.

Back