Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL would lose millions in revenue if any club was to fold, and on top of that they should give 4 million a year to Carlton to play there.

Goddamn.
And the Blues would be seriously pissed. The have had a rough time on-field but you just dont make long term decisions on short term factors. Both North and the Hawks have chosen their position.

AFL would lose millions in revenue if any club was to fold, and on top of that they should give 4 million a year to Carlton to play there.

Goddamn.

AFL don’t give Demons big financial incentives to play in Darwin and Alice Springs every year? No financial incentive to Suns to play in Townsville every year?

Pretty sure AFL give $1mill to those teams who have their home games there.

Send the Saints to play on the Sunshine Coast permanently instead.

Saints already tried playing in New Zealand, Blues even played them one year. They had a go at Good Friday too. Could work.

Would need to be a team that locals could get on board with again like Hawks did in Launceston. If a team was to go their they would need to treat Gold Coast as a second home that love playing there and not treat it as a cash grab. Blues love playing in Gold Coast think have really good record, won last 2 years up at Metricon. An example doesn’t have to be Blues can be Saints if they are willing to make it their own, learn from past mistakes and get locals on board which they failed to do in New Zealand.

Last edited:
AFL don’t give Demons big financial incentives to play in Darwin and Alice Springs every year? No financial incentive to Suns to play in Townsville every year?

Carlton are financially stable, we aren't quite there yet. But it doesn't matter because the broadcast revenue is based on an eighteen team competition. GCS make the AFL money regardless of how poor they are.

Gold Coast suck but it's not irreversible. Look at Brisbane.

Carlton are financially stable, we aren't quite there yet. But it doesn't matter because the broadcast revenue is based on an eighteen team competition. GCS make the AFL money regardless of how poor they are.

Gold Coast suck but it's not irreversible. Look at Brisbane.

So it’s ok for Demons, Hawks, Kangaroos, Bulldogs, Port Adelaide to do it but the idea is forbidden for other clubs?

No idea why you'd think the AFL gives Melbourne FC money to play in NT, doesn't make sense.

That would've been a good thing for you to research before starting this thread. If you had done that, or thought about it for a minute, you'd work out government dollars gets these deals done and then you probably wouldn't have started the thread at all.

No idea why you'd think the AFL gives Melbourne FC money to play in NT, doesn't make sense.

That would've been a good thing for you to research before starting this thread. If you had done that, or thought about it for a minute, you'd work out government dollars gets these deals done and then you probably wouldn't have started the thread at all.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...break-after-darwin-games-20180705-p4zpoj.html

Here you go Jack. $500k every home game Demons play in NT. Do research before you post on the thread.

Richmond did the same

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...lay-a-home-game-in-cairns-20100918-15h8t.html

It’s called selling your home games. I got the amounts wrong but do believe at one stage some home games valued $1mill. I’m sure Tassie Gov gives Hawks $20 mill over 5 years so over mill a game.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015...thorn-in-tasmania-for-another-5-years/6664270

Last edited:
No, just North Melbourne. Hawks will stay in Launceston. Logic says new Tassie team would be based in Hobart.

There is absolutely no chance that any Vic club would be playing home games in Tas if they got a team of their own.

Hawks wouldn't be in Tassie if it was up to the AFL. It's a long running dispute that they've continually had with us over our sponsorship.
They want us gone, so that they can try to reposition North down there.

Don’t think my bad. Lions don’t need s merger. Suns on other hand need success and be able to reach out to the locals to jump on board. If can’t need fold. Might be financially viable as you say but at what cost?

If something isn’t working out, why keep it alive? The idea of a Victorian team or 2 Victorian teams playing 2-4 games a year at Metricon, set up shop like the Hawks have done could be a good idea. Hawks have done reasonably well out of it. The city of Gold Coast might not need a full team team there, they could profit more out of a part time team playing 4 games a year there, follow an already established team with past success rather than a newly established team with no success and up and down culture. Carlton, St Kilda or Essendon might do well out of it with the Gold Coast locals.

As has been explained already, footy at junior and grassroots level is thriving on the Gold Coast. Ultimately, that is the best indicator of whether or not GC is "working out" because they are the lifeblood of the game - it means the future is assured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should a vic team move to Gold Coast and settle part time 4 games a year. Suns look like aren’t a viable entity and a vic club should move in.

Hawks and North play 4 games a year in Tasmania. Bulldogs play up in Ballarat. Demons play 2 games a year in NT. Why can’t someone else play 4 games a year at Metricon and put in a proposal to AFL. Suns more likely to fold.

If Blues were given a proposal to play
7 home games in Vic and 3 games at Metricon and 1 at Townsville. AFL will give extra $3-$4 mill a year for that arrangement I wouldn’t mind. Set up a second base. Heaps of Vic teams doing it. Port even playing up in Shanghai. GWS play 3 games a year in Canberra. Good Opportunity to increase supporter base for a Vic club willing to move. St Kilda tried New Zealand experiment but didn’t work but clubs are trying to increase their bases.

Wouldn’t hurt a Vic team as play against other Vic teams in Melbourne so would comfortably play over 10 games a year in Melbourne.

Just keep putting a band-aid over another band-aid.

In business you cut your losses, move on.
In the AFL its called concede nothing, never admit an error.

So it’s ok for Demons, Hawks, Kangaroos, Bulldogs, Port Adelaide to do it but the idea is forbidden for other clubs?
I'm not sure why you don't understand this already but the AFL are not paying the Demons, Hawks, Kangaroos, Bulldogs and Port Adelaide to play in states which already have multiple teams.

What you've suggested is akin to the AFL paying Gold Coast to play in Victoria.

In the event Suns fold.

The Suns won’t fold.

The current broadcast deal runs to 2022 and there’s a contract for 9 games a weekend during the H&A season.

I remember it was only around 8 years ago that people were talking about Port Adelaide folding (poor turnout to games, vast covers over empty parts of the stadium). These things can be turned around.

Sure, the Gold Coast is a sporting graveyard. But the AFL has very deep pockets and won’t let it fail. Fitzroy was a painful lesson and they won’t make that mistake again.

Maybe it’ll get moved one day (like South Melbourne -> Sydney) but it won’t fold.

You arent getting it.

You arent getting money to play part time in a city that already has a club.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I said in the event Suns fold. Yes why would AFL have two teams playing at Metricon.

I stand by city of Gold Coast don’t need a full time team. AFL might keep the Suns alive for a while longer but the locals won’t buy into it. Has nothing to do with on-field success, the public have to accept the Suns as part of the city and they don’t, they don’t care about the Gold Coast Titans, so will Show less care towards a team with a different code. Melbourne accepts the Storm but I never hear anything about the Melbourne Rebels. Suns are to Gold Coast to what the Rebels are to Melbourne.

If the Suns were a part time team, would be better, because they aren’t a Melbourne based club would be better off, just my opinion. Doesn’t have to be Blues, could be Saints Bulldogs Essendon, whoever.

I said in the event Suns fold. Yes why would AFL have two teams playing at Metricon.

I stand by city of Gold Coast don’t need a full time team. AFL might keep the Suns alive for a while longer but the locals won’t buy into it. Has nothing to do with on-field success, the public have to accept the Suns as part of the city and they don’t, they don’t care about the Gold Coast Titans, so will Show less care towards a team with a different code. Melbourne accepts the Storm but I never hear anything about the Melbourne Rebels. Suns are to Gold Coast to what the Rebels are to Melbourne.

If the Suns were a part time team, would be better, because they aren’t a Melbourne based club would be better off, just my opinion. Doesn’t have to be Blues, could be Saints Bulldogs Essendon, whoever.

Everything you said could of been said about the Swan's 30 years ago.

You're thinking short term.

Thankfully the AFL dont think that way. Otherwise there would be a 8 team comp as the AFL probably.

Everything you said could of been said about the Swan's 30 years ago.

You're thinking short term.

Thankfully the AFL dont think that way. Otherwise there would be a 8 team comp as the AFL probably.

30 years ago AFL also had better systems that prevented players walking out so easily on clubs than what we have now.

Suns going through cycle every year where good players are walking out. Can’t build on anything while that is happening.

30 years ago AFL also had better systems that prevented players walking out so easily on clubs than what we have now.

Suns going through cycle every year where good players are walking out. Can’t build on anything while that is happening.

30 years ago they had allot less money as well yet where smart enough to stick with it.

The Academies will work in building success.

Blues seem to be going through a cycle more and that's before we get to the cheating.

30 years ago they had allot less money as well yet where smart enough to stick with it.

The Academies will work in building success.

Blues seem to be going through a cycle more and that's before we get to the cheating.

Blues going through cycle where rebuilding right. Good young kids have come in, not the same in which they are requesting to be traded back home, majority of them Victorian. Gold Coast on other hand losing teams to Vic and other states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back