Prediction Should Adam Treloar be booed on his return to Spotless

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon

Cancelled
May 3, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I'm wondering what sort of welcome Treloar deserves on his return. Our club has no history of hostile welcomes for ex players, should he be the first?
I am unsure how to react.

The no case as I.see it is he did play by the accepted rules in delaying a decision publicly until tbe end of tbe season. He also hasn't trashed tbe club publicly. Strangely he did trash Richmond, but who cares huh.

The yes case is.be kept professing his love for tbe guys and it had a false ring to it. He left for fame and fortune when we need solidarity, and would have known be was being offerred tbe same money as Shiel and Cogs. His manager pissed me of when be said we could have kept him at his price when I can't see he is worth more than those guys, and arguably less. I reckon we would have bad to pay overs as the star factor in playing for a big Melbourne club was an part of his decision IMO.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Good thread. I will be booing Adam, not with hostility, but for the theater and doing my bit to put him off his game if possible. As a young man making a career decision he made a decision for him that made sense and I have no issue with that. He did make himself look silly by earlier comments that he would stay with the Giants so for that he deserves a good natured boo.

AT in 2014 ""I can’t think of a better place to play and I hope I can play here for the rest of my life.”

I think there is still a part to play for boo'ing in AFL as long as there isn't any racial, sexist or other type of discriminatory undertones.

Absolutely! It's not personal and we don't hate him... but there are consequences for leaving your old club regardless of how amicable the split was.

Like Thrashor said, it's about theater and putting him off his game.

Taylor Adams will get the same treatment.

I'm in the no camp. If I thought it might put him off his game, then I would. However, I think Treloar will relish it if that is the way it goes down. He craves the theatre of it as much as the crowds, so I say deny him. Give him nothing. If we all gave hime the big 'meh', that is more likely to leave him flat. Will be interesting to se how the Orange Army go with this this.

Good thread. I will be booing Adam, not with hostility, but for the theater and doing my bit to put him off his game if possible. As a young man making a career decision he made a decision for him that made sense and I have no issue with that. He did make himself look silly by earlier comments that he would stay with the Giants so for that he deserves a good natured boo.

AT in 2014 ""I can’t think of a better place to play and I hope I can play here for the rest of my life.”

I think there is still a part to play for boo'ing in AFL as long as there isn't any racial, sexist or other type of discriminatory undertones.

Absolutely! It's not personal and we don't hate him... but there are consequences for leaving your old club regardless of how amicable the split was.

Like Thrashor said, it's about theater and putting him off his game.

Taylor Adams will get the same treatment.

My thought process too.

I get leaving for a larger pay packet. I do feel he jerked us around a bit. Either way, unlike normal workplaces you need to front up to your previous employer's place - I'm fine with that being a relatively hostile environment. I'll probably give him a bit of a boo.

I'm not much of a boo-er, but won't begrudge anyone else for doing it.

It'd give me more satisfaction if we gave them an 80 point hiding and etch those "if only" thoughts into his head
I'm in the same boat. Not going to be boo-ing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would boo him, but only in clashes this year. By next year you move on and get on with the game.

Our players get booed by supporters of the club they left (see Scully), we should be given the chance to boo players who left our club in such a way. I'm not saying boo every ex-GWS player though.
Yeah get that, I applauded a Lachie Plowman contested mark on Saturday night. Treloar a bit different though

I would boo him, but only in clashes this year. By next year you move on and get on with the game.

Our players get booed by supporters of the club they left (see Scully), we should be given the chance to boo players who left our club in such a way. I'm not saying boo every ex-GWS player though.
In the case of Melbourne and Scully, their fans just get made to look silly when Scully actually performs well like in Round 1 this year.

In the case of Melbourne and Scully, their fans just get made to look silly when Scully actually performs well like in Round 1 this year.
You gotta admire their pig headed stubborness rhoigh, I was shocked they were still booing him loudly this year

Bronx cheers are far more off-putting than booing. I'd go with that too.

The more boos the more he gets it and spurns him on, but the more he hears Bronx cheers, the more he knows he is stuffing up.

Has the same level of theatre as booing.

Good thread.

Undecided if I'll be booing.

I get that players want to leave and go elsewhere to be closer to home/family or for more money. I don't blame anyone for that.

I just don't like people that say they love the club and want to stay forever only to jump ship the first chance they can get. At least be honest about it, no one would've faulted him had he said he wanted to looking at his long term career or was looking to be traded.

It just rubs you up the wrong way how it all went down but maybe that's just me.

Yep, understand that each person's thought processes and experiences that shape their views are their own. Personally I'm in the unlikely to boo camp, although can't say I wouldn't get caught up in the heat of the moment. More likely the Bronx cheer - as others have stated that's more likely to put him off. But Mrs Strides is definitely in the booing camp. Not sure about Master Strides - Treloar was one of his favourites and he was a bit devastated when he left after all his statements about staying, but he's not that demonstrative in public (bit like myself in that regard! :p) so suspect he'll just take quiet pleasure if we beat the Pies.

I don't really think our club does that.

I don't dislike that he made a decision to set himself up.

I really dislike the deceitful way he went about it bullshitting the fans.

He doesn't need to be booed, he's at Collingwood and whilst he'll end up with 4 Copeland trophy's he won't get close to a flag during his career.

Boos or cheers won't change that so concentrate on the play.

If I was there I'd laugh at him when he gets the ball :D

He doesn't need to be booed, he's at Collingwood and whilst he'll end up with 4 Copeland trophy's he won't get close to a flag during his career.

Interesting view on our club culture, maybe we are just a more civilised lot than most? I also take your point about awards. I actually think he has much more chance of a brownlow with Collingwood, without our other mids around him to share points. Our guys might have to be content with a chance at a Norm Smith and flags. I get that's not certain and Sheeds speech last year at our awards night was telling on that point.

Last edited:

Please refrain from being one of those 'our club doesn't do that'posters... It's up to the individual not the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back