Expansion ? Should AFL fixture matches into Sunshine Coast and Newcastle...

speedpeck23

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thread starter #1
The AFL and the Clubs collectively agreed to expansion into NSW and Qld way back in 2001. To me they have not fully recognised the opportunities that exist because there are now 2 clubs based in each state.

Matches played in the above locations (both of which have massively expanding population bases) would significantly grow the profile and support base of the local clubs involved, or even a Victorian club, if it chose to develop a second base.

Parochialism of the Victorian clubs is a key factor in the success of the AFL Competition but it is also the achilles heel of the AFL if it prevents those clubs failing to truly support expansion in a constructive way...ie by growing their brand beyond Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
I wonder if the AFL would be keen to schedule Carlton vs Collingwood in Newcastle and Hawthorn vs Essendon on the Sunshine Coast.

Would give Gold Coast and Fremantle more games at the MCG each year.
Plenty of vic clubs who get 1 or 2 MCG games that would take them

Morning_Fog

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Plenty of vic clubs who get 1 or 2 MCG games that would take them
Oh contraire

Wasn’t part of the new MCG Grand Final agreement supposed to see non Victorian sides gain greater access to the MCG?

And what Victorian side only gets 1 MCG game next year?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
This is the second thread on this topic by the OP but nowhere is there a reason why. I'm not sure about the Sunshine Coast but I'm pretty sure the Liins would see it as their's.

Newcastle actually has an interesting history with the local black diamond league very old. Arguably second to Melbourne as the oldest comp, challenged by Wellington. It's very much the Swans zone though.

It's one thing to take random clubs to greenfields like the NT, and provide a spectacle. It's nonsense in areas covered by a clubs zone though. If games are to be held in these places they need to include the local team.

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Do not see much point in Newcastle. Support the areas close to the expansion clubs. Hence I thought Gold Coast playing in China was stupid also.
I did however suggest earlier this year if Gold Coast as locality does not work for Suns as their base identity a re-naming to East Coast Suns and identifying their support base from Coffs Harbour to Sunshine Coast not the worst option.

If they played games at Kawana Waters or Caloundra on Sunshine Coast if a ground was built for it, it might develop a stronger community club feel than Gold Coast done so far. Having said that, I think Suns management hellbent on making it work where they are now. Good luck to them, Hope it works.

Howard Littlejohn

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who plays there?
I could see some merit maybe in the Swans playing a game at Newcastle. Maybe. Probably not GWS because they already have the Canberra thing going on.

Gold Coast trying to be a broader SEQ team seems to lose its reason for being. Its not even a short term insurance policy like the Giants in Canberra.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Who plays there?
I could see some merit maybe in the Swans playing a game at Newcastle. Maybe. Probably not GWS because they already have the Canberra thing going on.

Gold Coast trying to be a broader SEQ team seems to lose its reason for being. Its not even a short term insurance policy like the Giants in Canberra.
Canberra isn't a short term insurance policy though. We're a committed to the development of the ACT region as we are to Western Sydney.

It was good for players in the early years to have a parochial crowd somewhere. I've noticed it's evening up.

Newcastle is the Swans zone, it'll be them or no-one.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Who plays there?

Canberra isn't a short term insurance policy though. We're a committed to the development of the ACT region as we are to Western Sydney.

It was good for players in the early years to have a parochial crowd somewhere. I've noticed it's evening up.

Newcastle is the Swans zone, it'll be them or no-one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning_Fog

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
The AFL should be working out a way to distribute 24 games a year between Far North Queensland (Cairns and or Townsville) and the Norther Territory (Darwin and Alice Springs)

Maybe 6 games in each location per year.

Mister M

Team Captain
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh contraire

Wasn’t part of the new MCG Grand Final agreement supposed to see non Victorian sides gain greater access to the MCG?

North Melbourne ;)

But I guess looking at the fixture for a few minutes wouldn't support your anti-Victorian agenda.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Just remind me what the competition is called?

Oh right!!
You do realise that Victoria is part of Australia, and that being the largest market (by a LONG way) is a factor in how the game is worked out?

(or to put it another way, while we pay for it, you don't get everything going your way).

AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh contraire

North only get one, which is fine by me.

What is this obession people have with attempting to force feed NSW and Queensland people footy?

They have plenty of access to it now as is, if they want to watch they can.

If they choose to remain the backwards rugby liking swamp that sustains the likes of Alan Jones and Peter Dutton they are, so be it.

kid_a

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Glory, Hammarby
Do they (Newcastle and Sunshine Coast) even have stadiums capable of holding AFL games?
Nope, on the sunny coast there is a decent footy facility but Itd only be able to host at best pre season games but even then Id say NEAFL games would be the highest level they could realistically host. I used live and play there in my teens (late 2000s) and there is a decent amount of support for footy (although clearly 2nd to rugby league), but its not like one urban conurbation such as the Gold Coast, its various small cities scattered over a region with each town having its own identity, so would be tough to galvanize the whole area to get on board a club, plus only like 1/3 of footy fans there go for the lions, the rest are mostly Victorian ex-pats or the children of Vic ex-pats very much dedicated to their club.

ioppolo

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Newcastle is fairly League orientated and the A-League has strong support to with the Jets

Engimal v3

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh contraire

North Melbourne.

Edit: Oops, already been mentioned.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would have thought this one was pretty obvious. Newcastle falls under the Swans academy zone, hence the reason they were given academy access to Hunter region local Issac Heeney. The Sunshine Coast falls under the Lions academy zone, hence the reason they were given academy access to Sunny Coast local Eric Hipwood. Both the Swans and Lions have very talented local players that can help promote the game if the AFL ever chooses to schedule H&A fixtures in those cities.

The Swans used to regularly play preseason games at the Newcastle Sports Ground about 10 years ago so it's not like they've never explored that option before. The Lions often play preseason games at Burpengary, which is a halfway junction point between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast so they've arguably already attempted to tap into that market as well. So these markets aren't as foreign to AFL action as some may think.

North Melbourne.

Edit: Oops, already been mentioned.
North can focus on snatching the Launceston contract from Hawthorn instead.

dzussy

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Cant even get decent crowds or interest to Suns or Giants games.
Then why venture into bumf#k? Waste of time. The AFL waste enough money as it is.
Play Just Lame Training games at these places and thats it.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Cant even get decent crowds or interest to Suns or Giants games.
Then why venture into bumf#k? Waste of time. The AFL waste enough money as it is.
Play Just Lame Training games at these places and thats it.
The Black Diamond League in Newcastle long before fiity was played in WA. You seem comfortable in your ignorance though, so I'll leve you to it.

Top Bottom