Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Not the option anyone is hoping for in "2020" I can assure that.

With all government forecasts considering 6 months as a reasonable timeline for this "pandemic" to linger.

The key being no "vaccine" how do we keep players families safe and present the game as a responsible influence in the community.

I won't go over the stats, not interested in that.

Looking around the globe, just seems to be a logistical nightmare to get clubs back on the field.

If a player tests positive is that going to shutdown the league for 30 days. And then quarantine another club when games are forced into short succession.

With expanded lists are we exposing the players to potential outside threats when bringing players in. Do those players need 14 day quarantine before joining the squad.

Do any of these factors create a fair landscape for every team.

Travel between states I see NSW is enforcing 90 day police powers on social distancing.

Then we look at the healthcare side the growing number of ACL injuries and the amount of surgeries required during an AFL season. Are these factors that could push "healthcare" facilities further. Or mean players will potentially have to wait for medical treatment in certain scenarios.

I'm just wondering, what people's opinions are on the likelyhood of getting any AFL in 2020.

Not the option anyone is hoping for in "2020" I can assure that.

With all government forecasts considering 6 months as a reasonable timeline for this "pandemic" to linger.

The key being no "vaccine" how do we keep players families safe and present the game as a responsible influence in the community.

I won't go over the stats, not interested in that.

Looking around the globe, just seems to be a logistical nightmare to get clubs back on the field.

If a player tests positive is that going to shutdown the league for 30 days. And then quarantine another club when games are forced into short succession.

With expanded lists are we exposing the players to potential outside threats when bringing players in. Do those players need 14 day quarantine before joining the squad.

Do any of these factors create a fair landscape for every team.

Travel between states I see NSW is enforcing 90 day police powers on social distancing.

Then we look at the healthcare side the growing number of ACL injuries and the amount of surgeries required during an AFL season. Are these factors that could push "healthcare" facilities further. Or mean players will potentially have to wait for medical treatment in certain scenarios.

I'm just wondering, what people's opinions are on the likelyhood of getting any AFL in 2020.

Yep. Look long term, because lives will be in danger unless there is BOTH a cure and a vaccine. Best case scenario is 18 months, so maybe it's 2022. And as I've posted elsewhere, I think that's what the AFL will be doing behind the scenes: setting up for a complete rethink of their structures and funding.

I would really, really love to be wrong, because the picture for those parts of the world where health systems are way less effective than the Italian one is bleak. So we'll all hope for some kind of scientific miracle. In the meantime, bite a very, very, very big and painful bullet, and cancel this year.

Yep. Look long term, because lives will be in danger unless there is BOTH a cure and a vaccine. Best case scenario is 18 months, so maybe it's 2022. And as I've posted elsewhere, I think that's what the AFL will be doing behind the scenes: setting up for a complete rethink of their structures and funding.

I would really, really love to be wrong, because the picture for those parts of the world where health systems are way less effective than the Italian one is bleak. So we'll all hope for some kind of scientific miracle. In the meantime, bite a very, very, very big and painful bullet, and cancel this year.

Yeah pretty much the outlook I've come to as well. I was trying to model a game originally where some football was played. Without a vaccine or working cure I just couldn't come up with any reasonable conditions a game could be played without heightened risk.

And the public perception has caught on i believe initially football was at the forefront but the realization of the threat is hitting home now.

Crime stoppers is getting 100's of calls a day for breaching isolation rules.

So playing football through all this in the current future would just be a slap in the face really.

It hurts isolation without sport, it makes sitting at home almost unbearable to be honest. Alas this is what must be done

The AFL is going to move heaven and earth to run some kind of season this year, as they need the money from broadcasters and members. My personal stance is that unless there is a reasonable chance that by the time you get to the Grand Final crowds can be in attendance at the game, then the season should be cancelled. Id be devastated if i was a Melbourne or Saints fan making it to the grand final this year, only for it to be played at Marvel, with no crowds, and not being able to go to a pub/club, or even a mates house to watch it. Sure part of you would want a flag after 60+ years, but the atmosphere of the flags we won is what made those days so special, if that cant be there then i feel like i wouldnt want any team to play off for the flag this year.

The point in the media about stadium availability is moot though as there wont be an international cricket season this year. There is no way the international travel bans are lifted before a vaccine is available. Maybe domestically things will have returned to normal (or something close to normal) by October-November, but not international travel. Which means no World T20 and no International Test Series, Formula 1 is starting to come to this realisation now, there is no way you can run a season this year when it involves international travel. The MCC wont hand over the keys to the MCG to Cricket Australia if all that will be played there is a few Shield matches. Especially if there is a chance the AFL Grand Final could be played there infront of a normal crowd, which could happen as late as Boxing Day from some of the projections i've seen.

The AFL is going to move heaven and earth to run some kind of season this year, as they need the money from broadcasters and members. My personal stance is that unless there is a reasonable chance that by the time you get to the Grand Final crowds can be in attendance at the game, then the season should be cancelled. Id be devastated if i was a Melbourne or Saints fan making it to the grand final this year, only for it to be played at Marvel, with no crowds, and not being able to go to a pub/club, or even a mates house to watch it. Sure part of you would want a flag after 60+ years, but the atmosphere of the flags we won is what made those days so special, if that cant be there then i feel like i wouldnt want any team to play off for the flag this year.

The point in the media about stadium availability is moot though as there wont be an international cricket season this year. There is no way the international travel bans are lifted before a vaccine is available. Maybe domestically things will have returned to normal (or something close to normal) by October-November, but not international travel. Which means no World T20 and no International Test Series, Formula 1 is starting to come to this realisation now, there is no way you can run a season this year when it involves international travel. The MCC wont hand over the keys to the MCG to Cricket Australia if all that will be played there is a few Shield matches. Especially if there is a chance the AFL Grand Final could be played there infront of a normal crowd, which could happen as late as Boxing Day from some of the projections i've seen.

Lots of unknowns at this very moment, although I believe most would agree the 2 month mark the AFL set for a return I don't feel is reasonable guideline.

So we will more than likely be pushed right back how far not sure.

I agree with the cricket I just can't see international travel being available. Especially considering how each country tends to be on different timelines.

I just can't see a way even if we had a miracle vaccine ready to go in the next 3 months. How you manage to get enough football in to create a reasonable ladder.

And then being allowed to get 100,000 at the MCG in September, December I think it's a big ask.

My opinion would be if it happens no spectators will be allowed at the ground.

Perhaps like it was earlier with non essential gatherings relaxed to a few thousand.

GF on Christmas day...book it in LOL
Surely they play it at a Marvel Stadium on Boxing Day - where do peeps want to be more: AFL gf or Boxing Day test match?

I can't see much changing until we hit winter. If we can keep the numbers down once we are actually in our flu season then maybe the government would release some of the restrictions then.

Even still you would think it would need all teams to travel to Melbourne and just play a game or two a day out of the docklands with no crowds and smash out another 15 rounds + finals with everyone playing each other once.

Most likely cancelled IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see any advantage to making a blanket decision yet but doesn't look good. Probably need to make some sort of decision though, if this drags beyond mid year, so clubs and affected individuals can 'mothball' with a degree of certainty.

Yeh Agreed,

I'm hopeful we get some good news going forward. It's just difficult at the moment finding scenarios where we can play in a fair competition.

And the players are going to come back severely underdone. They can't even train together probably before the bans are lifted so that adds an extra element of intrigue to the situation.

You can't just not train together for 2 months and then smash straight into games.

Well I guess technically you can, just uncharted waters i suppose like everything that is currently happening.

I just hope when they return, it's done safely and responsibly

I can't see much changing until we hit winter. If we can keep the numbers down once we are actually in our flu season then maybe the government would release some of the restrictions then.

Even still you would think it would need all teams to travel to Melbourne and just play a game or two a day out of the docklands with no crowds and smash out another 15 rounds + finals with everyone playing each other once.

Most likely cancelled IMO.

Yeah fingers crossed, I thought if we lost to much footy and we can't get teams together.

Perhaps if they just have a really short window to play maybe an opportunity to bring some state footy back for a tournament of some description.

In the lucky case, late in the year they have 5 or 6 weeks and everyone is keen and able to play.

I'm just not sure if we lose to much time at present we are looking at 3 to 4 months that means you just don't have time to create a proper season.

I don't want to see an *premier personally although it has happened in other codes previously like NBA

Last edited:
Perhaps of they just have a really short window to play maybe an opportunity to bring some state footy back for a tournament of some description
Could be a scenario.
Grab a bunch of players and coaches who want to isolate for a month or so and create some sort of us vs them scenario. ( vics v the rest? ) give the starved fans some grist and tv guys a bit of revenue.
Could be done. Maybe play in Tassie? Not sure where they are covid wise, but worth a shot to get some revenue in. Clubs starved for cash would be happy to buy in.
Ask for volunteers, isolate for a couple of weeks. Select teams then go for it.
Probably see a lot of game starved tyros putting up their hands for a shot at glory.
Better than nothing..

NBA could be the first dominoe to fall looking very likely the Americans are zero chance of any sport.

A worrying guide to be honest

PhotoPictureResizer_200405_180721441_crop_1440x2594.jpg

It will be compromised, but if it is cancelled the future viability will be even more compromised.
Play on, I say.
Furture vulnerability is no way compromised. Beyond corona the afl may well have a very big debt problem but it doesnt have a cash flow problem. People stilll flock to it in droves. Tvs will pay big momey. It will be fine.

the womens game and gold coast and gws experiments may be areas that are vulnerable.

Furture vulnerability is no way compromised. Beyond corona the afl may well have a very big debt problem but it doesnt have a cash flow problem. People stilll flock to it in droves. Tvs will pay big momey. It will be fine.

the womens game and gold coast and gws experiments may be areas that are vulnerable.

So will we play again this year ?

What if the virus disappears as quickly as it arrived. In that case game on in july.

We are kind of extending its life though right with this isolation business.

I mean if we just continued on like normal everyone would get infected and it would run out of people to infect and then disappear pretty quickly when everyone is either dead or immune. The cost of that would be a couple of hundred thousand lives though.

I honestly can't see international travel being a thing for 2-3 years because every country is going to be at different stages of this thing.

We are kind of extending its life though right with this isolation business.

I mean if we just continued on like normal everyone would get infected and it would run out of people to infect and then disappear pretty quickly when everyone is either dead or immune. The cost of that would be a couple of hundred thousand lives though.

I honestly can't see international travel being a thing for 2-3 years because every country is going to be at different stages of this thing.

Agree with the travel this is going to be restricted for a very long time. And most countries have changed all the normal entry and Visa requirements.

Imagine how many immigrants Australia actually have very multicultural country.

It will be a nightmare to travel in the near future and beyond.

Unless a vaccine is widely delivered which is a long process. If it was here today, could still take 12 months to get travel back to some resemblance of what it was.

And even after all this is done with this widespread infection rate and being an influenza could this become seasonal ? Really got us F in the A

2020 is a write off. The reset button already is looking a long way off. The economy will have to kick start again and AFL no different.

Back