Opinion Should AFL in 2020 Be "Cancelled"

Will football be played again in 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a real concern given that no AFL-listed players can compete in a second-tier competition this year. Not ideal for the likes of Constable, Stephens, Fogarty, Kreuger, De Koning etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the games are compressed into a tighter schedule, we'll probably have to play 30+ players if we're smart.

This is a real concern given that no AFL-listed players can compete in a second-tier competition this year. Not ideal for the likes of Constable, Stephens, Fogarty, Kreuger, De Koning etc.

There is talk of reserve players playing practice matches against other teams reserves.

Its one thing to have a personal opinion but the reason for your opinion was selfish and egoist. You didnt want them to play because you didnt feel interested, not because you thought it was unsafe or rushed or unfair but because your were just not into it.

Let me put it this way - It would be more correct to say I'm 100% ambivalent about the footy this year. There are bigger concerns afoot in the world at the moment. If the AFL decide to sit out the year I won't be bothered in the least. If they do decide to play, be it in match hubs or whatever, I won't whinge either. I'm not in opposition to any decision made. Maybe it was wrong of me to venture an opinion and frame it in the way I did originally - all I can do is offer my profuse and heartfelt apologies for any offence caused.

Let me put it this way - It would be more correct to say I'm 100% ambivalent about the footy this year. There are bigger concerns afoot in the world at the moment. If the AFL decide to sit out the year I won't be bothered in the least. If they do decide to play, be it in match hubs or whatever, I won't whinge either. I'm not in opposition to any decision made. Maybe it was wrong of me to venture an opinion and frame it in the way I did originally - all I can do is offer my profuse and heartfelt apologies for any offence caused.
Not good enough! Be more sorry!
I'm the same man, I really don't care either way.
Maybe that will change when the weather gets worse.

Im not offended. Egoists amuse me. Im just a bit disapointed by your current post as it indicates your original post was more a poor use of language than a sign of a blossoming megalomaniac. This board could use some more exciting posters.

I dont care either but thats more because we have chris scott at the helm and its only chip kick chip kick chip kick. Pause. Bomb it to the wing that we are missing out on.
Yeah I'm a bit the same. That's footy in general though but we're probably the worst ATM. Dogs look ok style wise but not good enough.

Yeah I'm a bit the same. That's footy in general though but we're probably the worst ATM. Dogs look ok style wise but not good enough.
Footy style of most teams in the 2005-10 era was pretty average for most good teams. Clarkos cluster, malthouse boundary play and forward press, Ross lyons saints, Paul roos keeping off swans, Neill craigs crowbots. All the good teams were terribly boring. Except one. geelong. We stood against the crowd and played attacking football And beat them all. Why cant we do that again. Scott has decided to go the other way and be the most boring of all. Its not the geelong way. I dont care how successful we are. I want a blight or thompson in charge.

no need for apologies, many feel exactly the way you do in this situation

I honestly think this year will benefit those types, will get senior exposure that they may not have got in a regular season, fitness bases wont be at the same level as usual then you add having to fly in the day of games interstate its just going to be injury central, especially for players that live far away from airports fully expect we will use 40 plus players this year.

I honestly think this year will benefit those types, will get senior exposure that they may not have got in a regular season, fitness bases wont be at the ssme level as usual then you add having to fly in the day of games interstate its just going to be injury central, especially for players that live far away from airports fully expect we will use 40 plus players this year.

I can see where you’re coming from but the bottom line is that we have 40 players on our list and only 22 can play each week.

I can see where you’re coming from but the bottom line is that we have 40 players on our list and only 22 can play each week.

Honestly think young players with genuine talent get more out of training than playing in the VFL against sub standard opposition but that's just me, going head to head with superstars and learning from the best trumps dominating a level that you are way too good for like it's circle work every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it should be. No one benefits if the season goes ahead except the AFL. Shorter Qtrs.= ridiculous...No secondary comp = crazy GF winner = Sad
Hubs = stupidity CLUSTERFF%%$ = 2020 AFL Season. But I guess Money Talks and BullShit Walks.

If this will be a 17 week H & A season, I wonder how many wins are needed for a finals spot, and how many we get.
And will the schedule be the first 17 games of the original schedule?
Maybe 10, so we need 10 of the next 16.

If this will be a 17 week H & A season, I wonder how many wins are needed for a finals spot, and how many we get.
And will the schedule be the first 17 games of the original schedule?
Maybe 10, so we need 10 of the next 16.
Schedule wont be the first 17 games as previously advertised. Will early SA and WA matches be played as home games IN QLD - they are pushing to only played in QLD during the early season. Teams will have either more than half their games at home or less than half. A disinclination to travel may see the likes and the Magpies playing almost all their games at the G. What is fair if all your away games are at home of the better teams and all your home games are against crap teams. Will the cats get to play the likes of Collingwood or Essendon at KP? If that happens expect big complaints from their fans, if it doesn't happen, expect big complaints from every other team that plays at KP. Will the GF be played in Darwin if that is the only way you can have a crowd and some atmosphere? This is going to be a season like no other (except maybe the 1915-16 season), don't expect it to be fair.

Schedule wont be the first 17 games as previously advertised. Will early SA and WA matches be played as home games IN QLD - they are pushing to only played in QLD during the early season. Teams will have either more than half their games at home or less than half. A disinclination to travel may see the likes and the Magpies playing almost all their games at the G. What is fair if all your away games are at home of the better teams and all your home games are against crap teams. Will the cats get to play the likes of Collingwood or Essendon at KP? If that happens expect big complaints from their fans, if it doesn't happen, expect big complaints from every other team that plays at KP. Will the GF be played in Darwin if that is the only way you can have a crowd and some atmosphere? This is going to be a season like no other (except maybe the 1915-16 season), don't expect it to be fair.
No crowds, WTF have they got to complain about?

Honestly think young players with genuine talent get more out of training than playing in the VFL against sub standard opposition but that's just me, going head to head with superstars and learning from the best trumps dominating a level that you are way too good for like it's circle work every week.
When exactly do young players dominate vfl? its very rare. Steve johnson is probably the last kid on our list that made the vfl look second rate. Before that probably have to go back to aaron lord and paul lynch.

Steve johnson is probably the last kid on our list that made the vfl look second rate.
SJ did surprisingly poorly in 2007 in the JJ Liston. That year James Byrne won with the largest tally since Sam Mitchell 5 years earlier.

Back