Should AFL players be FORCED to have a flu shot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just footballers, everyone living person in the country.

Anyone who wishes to abstain (they are usually referred to as an "anti-vaxxer") can do so on the understanding that should they contract the disease they forego all access to the public health system.
So what about all the people who clog up the health system from eating too much s**t food?

The contract between the players and the NRL or AFL ( and/or their club) does not bind the QLD Govt. This is the QLD Govt refusing to allow unvaccinated NRL players to train and play in QLD. Also, the players are not being forced to have a flu shot. They have the right to refuse. But like many who scream about their rights, they fail to accept that others can assert their rights too. The QLD Govt is asserting its right to refuse these unvaccinated players to enter QLD. Maybe the QLD Govt has no right to refuse entry, but that is ultimately a matter for the courts.
Hopefully, if the courts have any sense of justice, the players will prevail.

I don't go into the doctors office and demand the diagnosis, you do understand the concept of EX right, can only go with what i am told by her and if that response is " i have the flu " then that is what i take as fact.

It's much more likely that she's getting a bad cold. You'd be quite unlucky to annually contract influenza, even if unvaccinated.

The contract between the players and the NRL or AFL ( and/or their club) does not bind the QLD Govt. This is the QLD Govt refusing to allow unvaccinated NRL players to train and play in QLD. Also, the players are not being forced to have a flu shot. They have the right to refuse. But like many who scream about their rights, they fail to accept that others can assert their rights too. The QLD Govt is asserting its right to refuse these unvaccinated players to enter QLD. Maybe the QLD Govt has no right to refuse entry, but that is ultimately a matter for the courts.
Bingo.

Anyway, you cannot retrospectively alter the stipulations of a contract of employment. People do not seem to understand that.

The players who refuse should still be getting paid. They are willing to fulfil their end of the bargain, it is/would be the AFL/NRL who are refusing to allow them to perform their obligations per the contract, which as I understand, makes no mention of a flu shot or anything of the sort.

I used to get the flu shot,being a frontline worker.
One year, I got it through work.
That year, myself and a few others on our ward got the flu, and was off work for two weeks.
I didn’t line up for a number of years, u til 3 years ago.
I was never penalised, it was never an issue. A lot of frontline workers do not get the flu shot. They are not penalised,including this year.It is not mandatory.

Regarding the flu shot, I believe that each person has the right to say what goes into your body.

Slippery slope QLD Health.

I don't go into the doctors office and demand the diagnosis, you do understand the concept of EX right, can only go with what i am told by her and if that response is " i have the flu " then that is what i take as fact.
No that's cool I missed the EX bit.

Also, she doesn't get Influenza every year. If she did she would be in bed for a week or two, then spend weeks recovering. And would likely have irreversible lung damage by now.

Does she lose a month or so off work every year due to illness and recovery? Have lung damage?

It's an important distinction because this self-diagnosis of a cold as influenza seems to be leading you down the path of thinking vaccination doesn't work.

A few years back I was in Texas at a winery and met Mike Hernandez who was/is the weather man for a San Antonio news channel.

Over a few glasses of wine he told me about how he did a big story back in the earl 2010's about the flu vaccine in America. They base all of their vaccines on the Australian winter strains and this one year they missed the most dominant Australian strain and had a heap of old people dying from not being vaccinated against it. Since then they had expanded the strains to immunize against
Yeah - they don't get it right all the time. This is a given. This isn't hidden.

So what about all the people who clog up the health system from eating too much s**t food?

What about them ??

Maybe a better level of education regarding healthy eating might be of more help than just handing out building development permits will-nilly for every U.S. fast food chain that wants to come here.

The point is, you have the choice of what you put in your mouth, with the flu, you have very little say.

Not just footballers, everyone living person in the country.

Anyone who wishes to abstain (they are usually referred to as an "anti-vaxxer") can do so on the understanding that should they contract the disease they forego all access to the public health system.
I guarantee you there would be more outcry if the same principle were to apply to those who smoked, drank, ate junk - even though this would be more befitting.

And, while I could be wrong, I'm fairly certain getting the flu shot doesn't reduce your chances of getting the coronavirus.

I used to get the flu shot,being a frontline worker.
One year, I got it through work.
That year, myself and a few others on our ward got the flu, and was off work for two weeks.
I didn’t line up for a number of years, u til 3 years ago.
I was never penalised, it was never an issue. A lot of frontline workers do not get the flu shot. They are not penalised,including this year.It is not mandatory.

Regarding the flu shot, I believe that each person has the right to say what goes into your body.

Slippery slope QLD Health.
Exactly. Something they really does concern me about this along with the a portion of the public in lockstep is this tendency of the media and others to be throwing the damaging and very denigrating antivax label where it probably does not apply.

Someone up to date with other immunisations that would prefer to not have the flu shot or someone that has even had the flu shot this year but observes an overreach of power and respects someones right to not want the flu shot does not deserve that label or level of bullying that seems to be going on right now.

The possible consequence of this is you may end up pushing more people toward an antivax side.

this will be interesting, how this plays out.

there will be no shortage of lawyers, QCs even!, who will take this case pro bono

Have they already finished working on on the Alex Rance defamation case??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Something they really does concern me about this along with the a portion of the public in lockstep is this tendency of the media and others to be throwing the damaging and very denigrating antivax label where it probably does not apply.

Someone up to date with other immunisations that would prefer to not have the flu shot or someone that has even had the flu shot this year but observes an overreach of power and respects someones right to not want the flu shot does not deserve that label or level of bullying that seems to be going on right now.

The possible consequence of this is you may end up pushing more people toward an antivax side.

Yep.

IMO they want a high uptake of flu shots,because they want to minimise the risk of a huge flu season, therefore the clogging of the Hospitals as seen each year.

I certainly haven’t seen any evidence that having the flu shot protects you or others against covid.

They base all of their vaccines on the Australian winter strains and this one year they missed the most dominant Australian strain and had a heap of old people dying from not being vaccinated against it. Since then they had expanded the strains to immunize against

With a very low flu season this year (so far), i wonder what will be in next winter’s northern hemisphere flu vaccine

Yep.

IMO they want a high uptake of flu shots,because they want to minimise the risk of a huge flu season, therefore the clogging of the Hospitals as seen each year.

I certainly haven’t seen any evidence that having the flu shot protects you or others against covid.
With social distancing and the highest level of hand washing and hand sanitiser use in the history of this country you would nearly guarantee the flu season would have fewer cases than a normal year. In fact the numbers I have heard of this year are way down on other years to this point.

You need to outline one hell of a case to force something like this. The 'muh global health pandemic' of a different virus and the current level of the community spread of that virus in Australia atm does not do near enough to force something so invasive.

I can understand vaccines for dangerous diseases but a vax for the flu? FFS

Then even if you wanted a vax, it should be voluntary.......just like all medical treatments. It is lunacy to make a vax for the flu mandatory for/ during Corona. What an over step and abuse of power.

Yep.

agree with your post, however........

I'd rather a long term solution and have a royal commission into our corrupt medical profession that limits human resources. Perhaps if the medical union was smashed, we wouldn't have this issue.

With social distancing and the highest level of hand washing and hand sanitiser use in the history of this country you would nearly guarantee the flu season would have fewer cases than a normal year. In fact the numbers I have heard of this year are way down on other years to this point.

You need to outline one hell of a case to force something like this. The 'muh global health pandemic' of a different virus and the current level of the community spread of that virus in Australia atm does not do near enough to force something so invasive.

Exactly.

I have had mine this year due,my choice.
Hubby hasn’t, his choice.

To label people as antivaxer because they don’t want to have a flu shot is just plain silly.
This culture of fear we are encouraging is damaging to our society.
This will not end well.

I guarantee you there would be more outcry if the same principle were to apply to those who smoked, drank, ate junk - even though this would be more befitting.

And, while I could be wrong, I'm fairly certain getting the flu shot doesn't reduce your chances of getting the coronavirus.

I was referring to the flu shot preventing the flu, not corona.

Be awesome if that worked but we will have to wait for an official vaccine.

I was referring to the flu shot preventing the flu, not corona.

Be awesome if that worked but we will have to wait for an official vaccine.
So, why should players be forced to have an invasive procedure,ie injection, for something that is not covid?
Under the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights,all patients have the right to informed consent, and can say no.

No idea how this can be classed as informed,when the injection is not for covid?

So, why should players be forced to have an invasive procedure,ie injection, for something that is not covid?
Under the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights,all patients have the right to informed consent, and can say no.

No idea how this can be classed as informed,when the injection is not for covid?

If the rule is 'no jab no play' then everyone has to have it.

What about them ??

Maybe a better level of education regarding healthy eating might be of more help than just handing out building development permits will-nilly for every U.S. fast food chain that wants to come here.

The point is, you have the choice of what you put in your mouth, with the flu, you have very little say.
You have more of a say if you choose to eat healthy food and keep fit. A healthy person has a stronger immune system. The point is , if people have the right to eat poorly to the point where they have to be hospitalised, should they be denied healthcare? If we had a society that chose to eat correctly and stay active, our healthcare system would be less burdened and our population would get sick less. No flu vaccination required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back