Should AFL players be FORCED to have a flu shot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Questioning is what science is about - it's the purpose of the whole enterprise.

With that being said, I'd be very careful about the logic you are using here.

As with any substance, what is important to note is the dosage you are taking. Every substance is potentially toxic. So while the amount of amygdalin you (or the people in Hunza) have taken may be below the limit that results in a harmful level of cyanide being catalysed, it doesn't follow that a) cyanide isn't present in apricot kernels (or apple seeds for that matter) and b) it is therefore safe to eat them. My great grandfather smoked like a chimney and didn't get lung cancer - it doesn't mean tobacco isn't carcinogenic.

More research would need to be done to understand if this is a real phenomenon (a lot of centenarians turn out not to be as old as they purport and it makes it doubly difficult in the absence of things like birth certificates - https://www.vox.com/2019/8/8/20758813/secrets-ultra-elderly-supercentenarians-fraud-error). I've also read accounts that it is a myth that the Hunza have long life expectancy and that the claim stems from statements made by the local king. John Clark's book - Hunza - Lost Kingdom of the Himalayas contradicts the claim of longevity. He was a medical doctor who lived amongst the Burusho people and he noted that many of his patients were unhealthy and had many of the same ailments that other poor Pakistanis were suffering from.
Yes but that is like any medicine, don't eat a packet of Panadol in one sitting, but you can still buy it. Believe me the people of Hunza eat far in excess of what we are told is dangerous. I know people who have eaten 20 a day for 30 years, no problem. I think someone reacted badly to it so, as people do any measure of medicines, so they banned it. And the side effects are only dizziness and vomiting even if you overdose or are allergic, fairly benign compared to tobacco, which even though it is carcinogenic is still available. I can no longer eat kernels however.

No employment agreement includes everything you may be required to do in the scope of your work. Every possible eventuality.

Most employment agreements usually say something like the employee will "follow any lawful and reasonable direction of the employer".

A flu shot would fit under this.

It is reasonable to ask this because of risks posed to other players.

Remember mining companies can require an employee to have a medical if it is reasonable for risk management on site.

Not an unusual request.

On the 'human rights' angle.

We have competing rights

1. the right of a nitwit to have a non-medical opinion they got from facebook

versus

2. The rights of others in the workplace to not be put at unnecessary risk of illness (which in a professional sport would have a serious impact on their livelihood).

Let's put it another way.

If the AFL was blase about vaccination and a player became sick from another player and this ended his career (and was preventable) - id be suing the AFL for NOT enforcing vaccination.

close thread.

Last edited:
No employment agreements include everything you may be requited to do in the scope of your work.

Most employment agreements usually say something like the employee will "follow any lawful and reasonable direction of the employer".

A flu shot would fit under this. It is reasonable to ask this because of risks posed to other players.

Remember mining companies can require an employee to have a medical if it is reasonable for risk management on site.

Not an unusual request.

We have competing rights

versus

2. The rights of others in the workplace to not be put at unnecessary risk of illness (which in a professional sport would have a serious impact on their livelihood).

If the AFL was blase about vaccination and a player became sick from another player and this ended his career (and was preventable) - id be suing the AFL for NOT enforcing vaccination.

close thread.
career ending flu.... never know a player to miss more than a week with a flu.But nice rant.

No employment agreements include everything you may be requited to do in the scope of your work.

A flu shot would fit under this. It is reasonable to ask this because of risks posed to other players.

Not an unusual request.

We have competing rights

versus

close thread.
1. It is the god damn flu.

2. The efficacy of the flu shot is so low as to make the argument you put up not nearly compelling enough to infringe a person's rights in that manner.

The myth that they don't cause autism is just as prevalent as the myth they do. The fact is we just don't know.

I don't really have an opinion on this one either way but that website is garbage, I can't believe you think posting that adds anything at all to any argument.

That is like me posting an evangelical website as proof of the existence of God.

Not an unusual request.

We have competing rights

versus

close thread.

Not close thread yet, it is an interesting point. Yes they can require a flu shot but you can probably object on the grounds of personal belief.

In this scenario it means you don't play without a flu shot, but it is debatable whether a club could withhold wages on that basis.

Please tell me that is not a serious question. It is obviously biased site with an agenda, all posting it proves is that it is an obviously biased site with an agenda. Bullshit pseudo science.

Clutching at straws. You haven't even read through the site have you. Show me the bias.

1. It is the god damn flu.

2. The efficacy of the flu shot is so low as to make the argument you put up not nearly compelling enough to infringe a person's rights in that manner.
What is the 'right'?

Please explain it.

You are also flat out wrong!

Whereby getting Ur info from? A Facebook mum page?

The efficacy is around 50% which is bloody good when you consider the death rate and high transmission.

Saves thousands of lives every single year in Australia. Just a plain fact.

Sometimes you have to question science. One example is apricot kernals and their supposed benefits regarding inhibiting certain cancers. The scientists say it doesn't work. Fair enough, maybe it doesn't, but in the last few months it has become illegal in Australia to sell them for people to eat because they contain cyanide. And they do as the science has proven. But it is not harmful to humans because cultures like the Hunza people of Northern Pakistan eat them by the bucketload. They use the oil in cooking. I have been up there a few times so can attest to this being true. I have seen documentaries and have met scientists and doctors up there studying it. Cancer reportedly does not exist in Hunza. I have been eating them for years. How can the science say on thing that is completely untrue.
Oh dear....

No words

First you say science says it doesn't work.

Then u say there are scientists testing it.

That's how science works mate.

You test. You check. You see results
See if it can be replicated.

Ffs

If they work. We will know why soon.

If they don't. They don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has the ‘flu’ got to do with Corona virus? If you didn’t need to have a flu shot pre Corona, why are they necessary now?? If vaccines were the miracle cure that some in here are touting then why would be having this debate? Each person is the best qualified person to understand their own body. Individual human rights actually trump so-called group rights that don’t actually exist in law.

Youve never heard of career ending polio either have you?

Wonder why fu**face?

But what's the other argument?

The right to believe in Facebook mummies?
Yes my dad had polio, so I know about that. Also polio is a fair way from flu. Never heard a player end his career in regard to FLU, not vaccines in general.
Love fu** face reference.

Oh dear....

No words

First you say science says it doesn't work.

Then u say there are scientists testing it.

That's how science works mate.

You test. You check. You see results
See if it can be replicated.

Ffs

If they work. We will know why soon.

If they don't. They don't.
They've known about this science since it was first published in the British Medical Journal in the 50's. People have been eating them for centuries with no adverse affects. I have been eating them for a decade, many people I know decades. Yet the 'science' says it is poison and is now illegal. A natural substance is illegal to sell and eat. Tobacco. alcohol, Roundup, known carcinogenic are all widely available. Hence I question the science.

Clutching at straws. You haven't even read through the site have you. Show me the bias.
  1. Ahem the site has "LIES" as an overlay as soon as you open it
  2. The article itself is titled "Claims...have no substance"
  3. The author is not even credited and it specifically says that this is an advocacy group
  4. The site also says "Back in 1994 we were feeling that the government and the medical community, in general, tended to exaggerate the safety and benefit profiles of vaccinations whilst downplaying their risks and true effectiveness"
  5. It then breaks down an article by linking to it's own publications as apparently debunking medical journal articles
  6. The head of the organisation describes her children as "vaccine-injured"
  7. It purports to disprove statements by bald assertions with no evidence provided
No offence but you have a real problem if you think that site is not biased. If you are not just taking the piss then you have a problem recognising what is reality and what is fantasy.

What has the ‘flu’ got to do with Corona virus? If you didn’t need to have a flu shot pre Corona, why are they necessary now?? If vaccines were the miracle cure that some in here are touting then why would be having this debate? Each person is the best qualified person to understand their own body. Individual human rights actually trump so-called group rights that don’t actually exist in law.
Because health authorities are concerned about too many people presenting at hospital with the flu at the same time as they are dealing with a pandemic, because the symptoms of the flu make it more likely you will pass on corona if you have it, and finally because the AFL is asking for special treatment during a global health emergency so extra precautions may be required.

And while 'each person is the best qualified person to understand their own body' is a great catchphrase, it's patently untrue. If I get cancer, I think I'll take my doctor's word over my own, what with their years of study and practice.

1. Ahem the site has "LIES" as an overlay as soon as you open it
  2. The article itself is titled "Claims...have no substance"
  3. The author is not even credited and it specifically says that this is an advocacy group
  4. The site also says "Back in 1994 we were feeling that the government and the medical community, in general, tended to exaggerate the safety and benefit profiles of vaccinations whilst downplaying their risks and true effectiveness"
  5. It then breaks down an article by linking to it's own publications as apparently debunking medical journal articles
  6. The head of the organisation describes her children as "vaccine-injured"
  7. It purports to disprove statements by bald assertions with no evidence provided
No offence but you have a real problem if you think that site is not biased. If you are not just taking the piss then you have a problem recognising what is reality and what is fantasy.
He's not taking the piss, he's a conspiracy theorist who regularly posts junk science that support his predetermined opinions then gets offended when people post the obvious holes in his evidence.

Because health authorities are concerned about too many people presenting at hospital with the flu at the same time as they are dealing with a pandemic, because the symptoms of the flu make it more likely you will pass on corona if you have it, and finally because the AFL is asking for special treatment during a global health emergency so extra precautions may be required.

And while 'each person is the best qualified person to understand their own body' is a great catchphrase, it's patently untrue. If I get cancer, I think I'll take my doctor's word over my own, what with their years of study and practice.

He's not taking the piss, he's a conspiracy theorist who regularly posts junk science that support his predetermined opinions then gets offended when people post the obvious holes in his evidence.
That may be true for cancer or car accidents etc, but I don’t believe it is at all for chronic illnesses or even necessarily infectious issues. We all know healthy people don’t get certain illnesses because of an innate inner health that doctors don’t have as much clue about, either do most people. Treating humans like machines doesn’t help at all. Mind is superior to body and seems to out rank it in terms of health. And there in lies the bigger mystery to life. So own you’re own body and soul and have no one tell you what you must put in it. We do not live in communist Russia or China. Also honour your Anglo/Celtic/Saxon heritage that used to put Liberty as the highest and noblest of traits.

That may be true for cancer or car accidents etc, but I don’t believe it is at all for chronic illnesses or even necessarily infectious issues. We all know healthy people don’t get certain illnesses because of an innate inner health that doctors don’t have as much clue about, either do most people. Treating humans like machines doesn’t help at all. Mind is superior to body and seems to out rank it in terms of health. And there in lies the bigger mystery to life. So own you’re own body and soul and have no one tell you what you must put in it. We do not live in communist Russia or China. Also honour your Anglo/Celtic/Saxon heritage that used to put Liberty as the highest and noblest of traits.

hahahahahahahahahaha, get off the acid.

hahahahahahahahahaha, get off the acid.
Every generation has a choice to make. Just don’t make your decision without knowing your cultures history. Ignorance of our past has no excuses in this post enlightenment age. Don’t be contributor in the piss weak generation that gave up their 5,000+ years of hard fought freedom, over one soon to be forgotten virus.

No offence but you have a real problem if you think that site is not biased.

No offence but you have a major problem if you think vaccine studies sponsored by pharmaceutical companies that simultaneously hold multimillion dollar contracts to produce vaccines aren't affected by bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back