Should AFL players be FORCED to have a flu shot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Topical question in light of what has gone on in the NRL and this announcement today from the Queensland Chief Medical Officer.

"Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young on Tuesday said the government will only grant flu-shot exemptions to NRL players on medical grounds.

She stated personal beliefs and ethical concerns are not covered in the list of exemptions.

Young says players who refuse vaccination for any reason other than medical necessity will not be allowed to train or play in what appears to be very bad news for Cartwright and Kelly as the NRL pushes on with a return on May 28."

From what I have seen the level of hate these players are getting is very high and any consequences going their way seem to have widespread support.

This decision regarding Queensland today may well impact the AFL unless both Queensland teams are moved to hubs.

There is a high chance this discussion will fall into an antivax direction. I hope a little nuance can be seen.

I will state there will be people supportive of vaccinations for diseases like polio, measles etc. But distinguish the flu as not being on that level.

I will state that for jobs like people in healthcare it is more essential for them to require the flu shot to work in those environments.

The flu is not equivalent to other diseases that people are vaccinated against. Professional sportspeople are not in a profession that places others or themselves at the same level of risk as healthcare workers.

Is it right to force people (AFL and NRL) and other workers to be injected and place serious consequences upon them for not doing so?

Does "my body, my choice" not apply to these individuals?

5 years from now in a different climate will these decisions be looked at on a different light than during todays state of fear and widespread compliance by the public?

What positions and views do bigfooty posters hold about the above?

EDIT: Some more information of interest that applies to immunisation providers.

"Valid consent is the voluntary agreement by an individual to a proposed procedure, which is given after sufficient, appropriate and reliable information about the procedure, including the potential risks and benefits, has been conveyed to that individual."

"
Criteria for valid consent
For consent to be legally valid, the following elements must be present:12,14

1. It must be given by a person with legal capacity, and of sufficient intellectual capacity to understand the implications of receiving a vaccine.
  2. It must be given voluntarily in the absence of undue pressure, coercion or manipulation.
  3. It must cover the specific procedure that is to be performed.
  4. It can only be given after the potential risks and benefits of the relevant vaccine, the risks of not having it, and any alternative options have been explained to the person."
The question I have is whether it is ethical for immunisation providers to vaccinate someone when they are aware the person has been coerced into doing it with the threat of job loss?

Last edited:
Not just footballers, every living person in the country.

Anyone who wishes to abstain (they are usually referred to as an "anti-vaxxer") can do so on the understanding that should they contract the disease they forego all access to the public health system.

Last edited:

They have choices. The AFL is running a business that requires those working for it to have the flu shot. They don't have to be employed there.
They also have a contract which doesn’t mention anything about a flu shot.

Is the flu equivalent to polio? Does someone who is up to date with their other vaccinations really deserve to have that title if they did not want to be injected with the flu shot?
considering the current state of affairs, probably yes

They have choices. The AFL is running a business that requires those working for it to have the flu shot. They don't have to be employed there.

Not sure what the Fair Work Act has to say about it though (like as in I honestly don't know).

You can't just make arbitrary demands as to what the working conditions are as an employer.

How would you feel about retail workers and others being stood down if they were uncomfortable to receive an injection for the flu shot? Even if these people were vaccinated against other diseases and it was not a condition of their employment when they got the job?

Do you really feel that comfortable forcing others to have stuff done to their bodies that they are uncomfortable with when the risk to them and others is not on the same level as certain occupations.

Flu shot is overrated, it doesn't stop you getting sick, all it does is reduce your chances of getting sick.
My ex gets the flu shot every year and it does jack s**t, she still gets sick. I myself have never had the flu shot and i very rarely get sick.
That is because the flu shot only protects you from the European winter flu strains. There are still other strains that the medical profession are not aware of when the vaccine is made.

The flu does not guarantee that you will not get sick, it does however greatly reduce those chances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flu shot is overrated, it doesn't stop you getting sick, all it does is reduce your chances of getting sick.
My ex gets the flu shot every year and it does jack s**t, she still gets sick. I myself have never had the flu shot and i very rarely get sick.
But does she get influenza every year?

No player in any code is forced. Some may require it to meet health guidelines allowing them to participate during a pandemic. Sounds reasonable to me
If someone is having to do something under duress or they are coerced then yes they are being forced to do something. Applying big consequences for someone not doing something is forcing them to do something.

That is because the flu shot only protects you from the European winter flu strains. There are still other strains that the medical profession are not aware of when the vaccine is made.

The flu does not guarantee that you will not get sick, it does however greatly reduce those chances
They know about the ones they find, and pick the top candidates for the flu shot. Sometimes a strain they didn't protect against ends up being the dominant one, or causing more illness than was anticipated.

They also have a contract which doesn’t mention anything about a flu shot.
The contract between the players and the NRL or AFL ( and/or their club) does not bind the QLD Govt. This is the QLD Govt refusing to allow unvaccinated NRL players to train and play in QLD. Also, the players are not being forced to have a flu shot. They have the right to refuse. But like many who scream about their rights, they fail to accept that others can assert their rights too. The QLD Govt is asserting its right to refuse these unvaccinated players to enter QLD. Maybe the QLD Govt has no right to refuse entry, but that is ultimately a matter for the courts.

The contract between the players and the NRL or AFL ( and/or their club) does not bind the QLD Govt. This is the QLD Govt refusing to allow unvaccinated NRL players to train and play in QLD. Also, the players are not being forced to have a flu shot. They have the right to refuse. But like many who scream about their rights, they fail to accept that others can assert their rights too. The QLD Govt is asserting its right to refuse these unvaccinated players to enter QLD. Maybe the QLD Govt has no right to refuse entry, but that is ultimately a matter for the courts.
Will this be looked back upon as an extreme overreach of power in future years?

Also is this a government asserting its right or coercing people to do something?

Yep and has now decided to not get it this year so will be interesting to see what happens, whether its the shot that is causing the problems we will see.
Your wife gets Influenza every single year?

They know about the ones they find, and pick the top candidates for the flu shot. Sometimes a strain they didn't protect against ends up being the dominant one, or causing more illness than was anticipated.
A few years back I was in Texas at a winery and met Mike Hernandez who was/is the weather man for a San Antonio news channel.

Over a few glasses of wine he told me about how he did a big story back in the earl 2010's about the flu vaccine in America. They base all of their vaccines on the Australian winter strains and this one year they missed the most dominant Australian strain and had a heap of old people dying from not being vaccinated against it. Since then they had expanded the strains to immunize against

Remove this Banner Ad

Back