NO TROLLS Should AFL players bend the knee before each match in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

It gets a few dozen nuffies riled up enough to post hot garbage and bad takes on an internet forum. Like calling it "just virtue-signalling". Fantastic take.

Well, it is.

What does it actually achieve?

Similar problems in Australia as Aboriginal people are imprisoned and killed in custody per capita far more than white people
Once a person is in custody, the rates are per capita negligibly different no matter what race you are (a white person is just as likely to die as an aboriginal person on a per capita basis). There is however an over representation of aboriginal's in Australian jails in the first place. Not sure what you do about that (I'm no policy expert), it's a case of chicken and the egg at this point. Something has to be done though. The removal of the public drunkenness laws is a good start.

That could be applied to either end of the political spectrum, i would argue both of which are as bad as each other.
And if you stand in the middle you get crucified by both sides and sent to the gulag for not picking a side. win/win/win all around. o_O

I've remembered that a whole host of AFL players and umpires had actually taken a knee before the start of games at the resumption of the season post lockdown last year.

This was around the time of the George Floyd incident. In a way this answers my question in the OP however thinking back to that time the cicumstances were that they were kneeling without any crowds present. So I do wonder what kind of response crowds would have given them.

Would there have been boos?

And if you stand in the middle you get crucified by both sides and sent to the gulag for not picking a side. win/win/win all around. o_O
The only way to win is to not play the game, removing myself from social media and refusal to read/watch the news is one of the best things i've done.

Once a person is in custody, the rates are per capita negligibly different no matter what race you are (a white person is just as likely to die as an aboriginal person on a per capita basis). There is however an over representation of aboriginal's in Australian jails in the first place. Not sure what you do about that (I'm no policy expert), it's a case of chicken and the egg at this point. Something has to be done though. The removal of the public drunkenness laws is a good start.

Something needs to be done to protect indigenous women and children who are far more likely to be either physically or sexually abused.

There should be no celebration of war but ANZAC Day doesn't celebrate it. It's a day of reflection, sombreness and we simply say thank you to those who fought for our country, our freedom and ourselves. We should use the day to recognise the fact that war is futile and has to be avoided.

How do you interpret ANZAC Day any other way?

Still has nothing to do with sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not a celebration of war. It is the complete opposite.

It is in remembrance not only of those lives lost in war but what the soldiers, support staff and families suffered not only during the war but as a result as well in a lot of cases for the rest of their lives.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

I find your post abhorrent and your lack of respect for the fallen and their families beyond disgusting.

There are many veterans and their families that believe rather than federation on 1st of January 1901 that Anzac day is the real date that not only was our country internationally recognised as being a country in and of itself rather than just an off shoot of the english empire.

Anzac day also recognises the combined sacrifice and brotherhood with which we share with New Zealanders and the sacrifices and bonds which were made that hold our countries so closely together today.

1) It is such a wonderful education experience that you don't know there are more jurisdictions than Oz and NZ that celebrate it
2) Being killed, whilst accepting a wage to kill others, warrants no remembrance or celebration
3) Please refer the wars we've been involved with:
like invading the ottoman empire when our freedom and nation was not at risk
like invading vietnam when our freedom and nation was not at risk
like invading korea when our freedom and nation was not at risk
like invading iraq when our freedom and nation was not at risk
like invading south africa when our freedom and nation was not at risk
like invading china (boxer rebellion) when our freedom and nation was not at risk
Note this doesn't mean a war doesn't need to be executed
4) Bradley Robert Smith provides some insights as to how war work........murder
5) token appreciation like ANZAC exists, so the defence force can recruit cannon fodder at below market rates AND avoid paying out the dead and wounded
6) Signed ex-serviceman

Last edited:
Many would argue that fascism is allowed to rise gain traction because of a *lack* of free speech, not because there's too much of it.
The point is that when the intolerant are given free rein they bring about more intolerance.

I don’t like any politics in sport mixing. What I don’t like more is censoring free speech or freedom of expression.

she earned the right to take the field. She has the right to kneel if she chooses.

We as a society need to stop thinking we all must think or act the same. It’s harmful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back