Should AFL State of Origin be held every year as a Charity match ?

Remove this Banner Ad

VICS
Adam SaadMark BlicavsNick Haynes
Charlie CameronTom HawkinsJ.Riewoldt
Lachie WhitfieldDarcy MooreBachar Houli
D.ZorkoT.WalkerM.Walters
Jack McraeP.DangerfieldS.Sidebottom
E.YeoFyfeB.Hill
Robbie GrayJeremy CameronToby Greene
J.JohannesenJ.HoweR.Laird
D.MartinT.LynchT.Papley
B.SheppardH.AndewsC.Mills
GoldsteinBontompelliPendelbury
GrundyCrippsNeale
CotchinJ. LloydSloane
CunningtonJ. Kelly
GreshamMartin
HigginsSicly
BruestConiglioLycett
EdwardsJetta
I.SmithZ.Touhy
B.SmithL.Weller

Should be a yearly double header on a Saturday:

SA v Allies 4:40pm AEDT @ Adelaide Oval
VIC v WA 7:50pm AEDT @ MCG/Optus

Alternate between MCG & Optus Stadium each year.
SA host Allies every year until they develop some talent to match VIC & WA.

Have mentioned it in another thread state of origin is dead
There should be east vs west charity game
East chosen from: suns lions swans giants saints hawks tigers pies demons

west: dockers eagles crows power bulldogs cats bombers blues Roos

the game can be played in alternate states so should get a good crowd being a once in 5 year event
Make it an authentic game as possible no hoverboard entry’s
Hopefully over time it will be an honour to be picked like origin was and nba all star is

I prefer A-K vs L-Z. That is the true fault line in society.

Should be a yearly double header on a Saturday:

SA v Allies 4:40pm AEDT @ Adelaide Oval
VIC v WA 7:50pm AEDT @ MCG/Optus

Alternate between MCG & Optus Stadium each year.
SA host Allies every year until they develop some talent to match VIC & WA.

If you are going to do that, why not split the Allies up in to NSW/ACT, QLD/NT and Tas / Ireland / ROW and play three matches?

The problem with Allies concept is it denies any serious buy in from fans from those states. State teams (even if combined with the territories) can tap into clearly strong parochial fault-lines

If you are going to do that, why not split the Allies up in to NSW/ACT, QLD/NT and Tas / Ireland / ROW and play three matches?

The problem with Allies concept is it denies any serious buy in from fans from those states. State teams (even if combined with the territories) can tap into clearly strong parochial fault-lines
Draws any fan wanting a tough comp played by the best of the best. Not sure the parochial claim stacks up at all in WA ot SA.

I guess the SOO is that important.. I guess it is that useful.. I guess that it is something to hang your hat on

I guess that you can't do without it in some way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would do a similar format as the Under 18 National Championships (except having Victoria in place of Vic Metro and Vic Country) but with the matches of a 4 year cycle and then rotated once home and once away over 8 years. As such the players from smaller states would actually get to represent their state rather than the Allies. The big three states would play 3 games over 4 years, and 3 games at home over 8 years. This would make it rare enough to make it appealing to players and also appeal to states beyond Victoria by having true State of Origin.

Just dont call an All Stars game Origin, people will believe it is.

State of Origin is how the teams are selected.

True, it's not one state Vs one state, but if they're only having one match, then combinations are the only option to ensure everyone is represented.

The old SOO concept died when the VFL expanded and all the eligible players became part of the same comp.

I'd like it to happen every year, but I've seen a lot of people saying every 2 or 3 years and that seems more reasonable.

I think they should be for charity. No harm in doing good and it's a decent way to get some eyes on the sport.

I don't know if state of origin works with all stars so I reckon an east Vs west match like others have suggested could be good. But then that's just WA Vs all stars unless SA is counted as west so not too different to a VICS v all stars. I reckon having a VICS side will probably draw more people to the games though.

Maybe have an all stars side that goes up against different state sides every couple of years?

Change the SoO name to something else to appease those more vocal about too.

I'd like it to happen every year, but I've seen a lot of people saying every 2 or 3 years and that seems more reasonable.

I think they should be for charity. No harm in doing good and it's a decent way to get some eyes on the sport.

I don't know if state of origin works with all stars so I reckon an east Vs west match like others have suggested could be good. But then that's just WA Vs all stars unless SA is counted as west so not too different to a VICS v all stars. I reckon having a VICS side will probably draw more people to the games though.

Maybe have an all stars side that goes up against different state sides every couple of years?

Change the SoO name to something else to appease those more vocal about too.

If it's for charity, the point would be to raise as much money as possible, and to do that, you need as many fans as possible, so the whole country has to be included.

Clubs/coaches don't like even one game, and would riot if there was 2/3/whatever, so one game is the only realistic option because it's the only one that will ever happen.

You can break it down however people like, but the only state that will ever be able to stand along Vs 'the rest' is Vic.

So really, the only choices are Vic vs the rest, or abandoning the state the player comes from (and any SOO history/legacy) as a factor.

Nah, watching players avoiding contact so they don’t get injured is just not footy. Zzzzzzz.
Agreed. It sucked. It reminded me of the AFL Legends Game except with current players playing. They were just mucking around having a bit of fun, it’s beyond me how people found it entertaining and why you’d want it to be a yearly event.

Just add a small surcharge to the cost of each ticket to the round 1 games and donate the additional funds.

Last edited:
State of Origin is how the teams are selected.

True, it's not one state Vs one state, but if they're only having one match, then combinations are the only option to ensure everyone is represented.

The old SOO concept died when the VFL expanded and all the eligible players became part of the same comp.

Exactly all stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back