Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Should Australia become a Republic?

• YES

Votes: 133 65.8%
  • NO

Votes: 69 34.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Charles can’t even manage his own family at 70 plus yo His mother was doing it age 25 yo
They are so reliant on a good press and the press will tear him down even if he makes a good start

Over here the two sides are preparing for the long game, obviously for when Charles is ‘annointed’

Any monarchists calling me disloyal can watch this then piss off

Anyone think the super hit Brits at the celebrations sound like trump it’s?

Prince Charles, Tony Abbott and Erica Betz representing the monarchy in this country is an absolute godsend for republicans.

Wasn’t the kicker that khemlani was to be the banker? Dodgy deals, but here we are and the chinese communist party is our banker, not the only country there mind you
Yes, in that sense, we were always going to be well worn but worn well, by someone.
I always wonder when banks borrow, whose banks do they borrow from, for governments to borrow from them and owe for decades, and especially if a Pandemic turns up world wide and every one is busted, talk about manipulation, ha ha .

Yes but last time the republicans heads were Turnbull and McGuire. Time has shown they are duds
I agree, Turnbull is a disgrace to anybody , he is treacherous and also Eddie was into the republic side of things but celebrities get themselves easily confused, Ed does his millionaire show well ,and has done a lot for footy outside Collingwood as well, but his mouth got him into strife a couple of times.

I found it a bit hard to see where his politics was? But the republic argument to me is about this country and safe government, nothing to do with ceremonial set ups or the UK.

Charles can’t even manage his own family at 70 plus yo His mother was doing it age 25 yo

When Elizabeth was aged 25, the immediate royal family consisted of the Queen's younger sister aged 21, a toddler aged 3 and an infant aged 1.

There are considerably more immediate royals than that for Charles now including two sons, five grandchildren, a younger sister and her children and grandchildren as well as two younger brothers and their children.

They are so reliant on a good press and the press will tear him down even if he makes a good start

On what basis?
Anyone think the super hit Brits at the celebrations sound like trump it’s?

No.

When Elizabeth was aged 25, the immediate royal family consisted of the Queen's younger sister aged 21, a toddler aged 3 and an infant aged 1.

There are considerably more immediate royals than that for Charles now including two sons, five grandchildren, a younger sister and her children and grandchildren as well as two younger brothers and their children.

On what basis?

No.

My opinion mate, you were a bit slow this time.

And you missed my post ‘be suspicious if the mining lobby owned LNP start supporting a republic’

Yeah. I was out.

Suspicious of what?

Mining lobbies fund separatist or independence movements all over the world. It’s to free them of thos pesky taxes and loyalties

They seek to create a seperate resource rich ‘state’ with a ‘government’ in its pocket.

Come to think of it why would they need to do that here, they already have that

Last edited:
Opinion again, but if it was the most able to succeed Elizabeth II, it should be Anne.

Polls in England want William to inherit directly, which of course can’t happen, but William is turning out to be a bit whiney too.

It amuses me the amount of projection the media hangers on over there are putting on the Megan and Harry show.

Cold shouldered, not spoken to. No one mentioned the possible imminent release of Harry’s memoir. I’d be not saying much either
But for all the accusations of Harry’s revelations so far being dis loyal, they all appear to be true

But the monarchy is above all that eh folks? A complete furphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would this impact on our legal system?

if a republic results in a new constitution, then our whole system (including the legal system) is impacted. changes may include:
  • powers of the states
  • powers of the federal government
  • changes to transition of power
  • changes to the electoral system
  • changes to powers to dissolve parliament

On the basis of my opinion,

Yeah. So I'm asking in response what's the basis of your opinion? Seeing you offered that opinion on a public forum.

and maybe her kids have happy lives etc

And this is the basis on which she would be a better monarch? Her children supposedly have 'happy lives'?

Do I need to define ‘opinion’?

I'm well aware of what an 'opinion' is. You offered yours on a public forum. I'm asking in response why you hold such an opinion. It's called discussion / debate.

Yeah. So I'm asking in response what's the basis of your opinion? Seeing you offered that opinion on a public forum.

And this is the basis on which she would be a better monarch? Her children supposedly have 'happy lives'?

I'm well aware of what an 'opinion' is. You offered yours on a public forum. I'm asking in response why you hold such an opinion. It's called discussion / debate.

Lots of people more in the know than me have the opinion that of the queens offspring, Anne has the best character and track record to become the monarch

Way back, society had ways of sidelining a dud monarh or monatch successor. It was part of the system you clearly favour. What I’m saying is the monarchy system which is mostly based on what’s gone before, is not what happens now

Sadly the ‘fitness’ to rule today seems to be what media barons want, not logical reflection

Having said that, Anne is probably perfectly happy wit hers and her families situation.

Lots of people more in the know than me have the opinion that of the queens offspring, Anne has the best character and track record to become the monarch

On what basis do you say this? Is she also not divorced after rumours that she had a relationship with her bodyguard Peter Cross? Was she also not nick-named "Her Royal Rudeness" and a reputation for being difficult and "....very bad-tempered... [and]...very sulky." She's also the only member of the British royal family to have a criminal conviction when she was convicted in 2002 after failing to control her dog in a public park. The dog ended up attacking two children. And she's also been fined several times for speeding and had her driver's licence suspended.

Way back, society had ways of sidelining a dud monarh or monatch successor.
"Way back". You mean when the monarchy was an absolute monarchy. We're talking about a constitutional monarchy.

It was part of the system you clearly favour.

I've made it very clear I favour the system of a constitutional monarchy.

What I’m saying is the monarchy system which is mostly based on what’s gone before, is not what happens now

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
Sadly the ‘fitness’ to rule today seems to be what media barons want, not logical reflection

What do you mean when you refer to 'fitness to rule'?
Having said that, Anne is probably perfectly happy wit hers and her families situation.

Quite possibly. And?

On what basis do you say this? Is she also not divorced after rumours that she had a relationship with her bodyguard Peter Cross? Was she also not nick-named "Her Royal Rudeness" and a reputation for being difficult and "....very bad-tempered... [and]...very sulky." She's also the only member of the British royal family to have a criminal conviction when she was convicted in 2002 after failing to control her dog in a public park. The dog ended up attacking two children. And she's also been fined several times for speeding and had her driver's licence suspended.

"Way back". You mean when the monarchy was an absolute monarchy. We're talking about a constitutional monarchy.

I've made it very clear I favour the system of a constitutional monarchy.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

What do you mean when you refer to 'fitness to rule'?

Quite possibly. And?

Just give it up mate. You don’t offend/trigger me as much as I seem to offend you

And focussing on the one comment I prefaced with ‘just my opinion’

My other opinion is my opinion is mine, your opinion is yours, and unless it’s offensive, it shouldn’t be beholden to anyone else’s sensibility.

Last edited:
Is it fair to have another referendum? We had one and it was decisively rejected. It seems shitty that republicans can just push for infinity referendums until they eventually get one during a time of the right public mood and get it over the line - then they get their way forever.

Back