Politics Should Australia move towards a stronger China relationship?

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
America's power is in decline. Trump is moving America towards a more isolationist policy, or at the very least burning bridges with traditional allies.
Alliances sound great but when they are built on past sentiment alone and don't have the same clear shared future interests and objectives, they cease to be of benefit.

The traditional alliance we once had is unlikely to stand the test of time in 30 years time. Would America come to our defence if we were threatened by a neighbouring country? Currently they have important intelligence facilities in Central Australia, but their strategic value may decline in coming years.

Australia needs to start sucking up to China and licking their arse, much like we did to America and Britain in the past. World power dynamics are changing and our alignment with America is looking increasingly unlikely to serve out best interests into the future.

The change in dynamic to closer with ties with China won’t be as palatable as our past relationships with England and America, but do we have an alternative?

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
China already owns our ports, most of our pastoral and massive chunks of land and working properties one that spans two states, we don't even know how much residential they have. How much closer can we get? ;)
I never understood why we allowed China to buy up our ports, pastoral and agricultural land, as well as residential land when they won’t let us do the same if we wanted too!

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
I never understood why we allowed China to buy up our ports, pastoral and agricultural land, as well as residential land when they won’t let us do the same if we wanted too!
It's the same as when companies sell assets to another company, but still need them, just for capital to invest elsewhere. I understand they need the capital... but geez you're just robbing peter to pay paul.

We just need to trade with them and probably mind our own business a little more in issues that don't impact us.

Personally I'd be putting our relationship with the USA as much on hold as I could until Dufus is no longer President.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Did a course at uni a couple of years ago called 'Australia in the Asian Century'. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be going into it.

We've actually done a pretty good job of playing both 'sides'. We maintain security alliances with the US but have kept trade and economic ties with Asia as strong as possible. From that perspective, I imagine we should definitely maintain the relationship and continue to position ourselves to align with China's economic needs. The security aspect is a tough one though. Pulling back from the traditional British and North American ties is a good idea IMO, but perhaps not shifting our focus entirely.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Have to wonder how much of China's inexorable march towards becoming the new global alpha male can be attributed to having the best hackers.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did a course at uni a couple of years ago called 'Australia in the Asian Century'. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be going into it.

We've actually done a pretty good job of playing both 'sides'. We maintain security alliances with the US but have kept trade and economic ties with Asia as strong as possible. From that perspective, I imagine we should definitely maintain the relationship and continue to position ourselves to align with China's economic needs. The security aspect is a tough one though. Pulling back from the traditional British and North American ties is a good idea IMO, but perhaps not shifting our focus entirely.

How many dead in the war against Japan did we suffer?

Those Japanese carriers.
Those zeros
Those bullets that lodged in our diggers heads

Many made from what we sold them.

That course you spoke of would of taught you this. Had it not been politicaly motivated

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Do China have a need to sell thier assetts? This is what you should be asking before making a racialy loaded comment like that.

Let's say they did have a need. Why would they let a war mongering culture like ours own assetts?

We are very insular very racist and very very violent as a culture. We are very immature

We can't control our money or capatlist pigs. We are amongst the fattest and mentally ill cultures ever.

We are heavily in debt

China on the other hand has a population problem because they teach real things like nutrition. in Australia doctors are not allowed to do that. China invests money in real things

We invest money in corrupt royal commisoons. Helicopter rides for brownwyn bishop. Bombs for isis.

Look inside for your answers

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
How many dead in the war against Japan did we suffer?

Those Japanese carriers.
Those zeros
Those bullets that lodged in our diggers heads

Many made from what we sold them.

That course you spoke of would of taught you this. Had it not been politicaly motivated
You're a ridiculous person. Utterly ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Thank you for informing you were not taught the truth
I've been in the military for 15 years. You know what they say about assumptions?

What relevance was your post? Are you suggesting we need to hold a grudge still? Let it affect our current relations? What are you saying besides the complete obvious as far as history goes?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We shouldnt be wasting our opportunity and fighting Americas wars
The future is Chinese, we need to realise we are part of Asia, get the silk road built.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been in the military for 15 years. You know what they say about assumptions?

What relevance was your post? Are you suggesting we need to hold a grudge still? Let it affect our current relations? What are you saying besides the complete obvious as far as history goes?

To an extent rich men played both sides in the lead up to ww2

However mostly we just gave Japan what she needed as we pushed her into war and gave her those tools we could use against her.

If we didn't supply her war machine we couldn't be fooled into needing to destroy it. The same buisnemen made money and we the normal man payed dearly for the con.

Australian society continues to go down hill. Playing both sides is not changing this. But someone's making allot of money while we suffer.

I've been saying for years that we should join the Non-aligned Movement, even more so now that cluster f*** of a human being is in the White House.

Maybe it's because of that cluster f*** of a human being we shouldn't make bold moves. Even Obama was annoyed enough to take a crack when we sold off Darwin Port.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Do China have a need to sell thier assetts? This is what you should be asking before making a racialy loaded comment like that.

Let's say they did have a need. Why would they let a war mongering culture like ours own assetts?

We are very insular very racist and very very violent as a culture. We are very immature

We can't control our money or capatlist pigs. We are amongst the fattest and mentally ill cultures ever.

We are heavily in debt

China on the other hand has a population problem because they teach real things like nutrition. in Australia doctors are not allowed to do that. China invests money in real things

We invest money in corrupt royal commisoons. Helicopter rides for brownwyn bishop. Bombs for isis.

What the *!
How did you decipher racism from my post saying that if we aren’t allowed to buy Chinese assets, why are they allowed to buy ours?

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

We are heavily in debt

A, farrrk off with your our culture is racist rant you have a limited and zero understanding by that comment!

Go learn about other cultures especially China

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A, farrrk off with your our culture is racist rant you have a limited and zero understanding by that comment!

Go learn about other cultures especially China

Our culture is s**t.

How.many billions have we spent bombing syria for Isis?

How many are so caught up with television and consumerism they have no idea about this easily researched issue?

It's all a matter of public record.

We have a homelessness issue
We have a mental health crisis
We have an obciety epidemic
We have severe environmental problems
We have every essential service but the military chronicly underfunded

We have a massive issue with the ruling class getting away with some sick s**t like child sex abuse

We are heavily in debt
Our politicians corrupt

Our science rotten to the core

Our justice system corrupt.

Our media corrupt

China invest thier money in important things

We give away to criminals then pay bankers interest on it.

No brainer

Fix our own s**t before attacking another race.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've said it before, but everyone who thinks America was immoral as a superpower will become a bit more woke once China rises. The US was by no means benevolent during its reign, but it was a hell of a lot more reserved than those who came before and likley after.

However, the world has changed and that's the reality. The US has become too politically unstable to rely on for both trade and security. Everyone who thinks waiting for Trump to leave is a solution is not looking at why he's there to begin with. We arent going back to normal once hes out.

It is the Asian century, and we do need to align our economy and embrace Asia, but I don't think its a great thing to be too economically integrated into China, as it will become an increasing political and security risk. I'd like us to be tied with nations surrounding China like Korea, Japan and the ASEAN nations; but we have and will continue to just take the easy money.

Last edited:

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Our culture is s**t.

How.many billions have we spent bombing syria for Isis?

How many are so caught up with television and consumerism they have no idea about this easily researched issue?

It's all a matter of public record.

We have a homelessness issue
We have a mental health crisis
We have an obciety epidemic
We have severe environmental problems
We have every essential service but the military chronicly underfunded

We have a massive issue with the ruling class getting away with some sick s**t like child sex abuse

We are heavily in debt
Our politicians corrupt

Our science rotten to the core

Our justice system corrupt.

Our media corrupt

China invest thier money in important things

We give away to criminals then pay bankers interest on it.

No brainer

Fix our own s**t before attacking another race.
Do some traveling and read some books about some other countries and cultures firstly!
Secondly China is a communist dictatorship! Go and read up about their way of life before even commenting how good it is compared to Australia!
Lastly if you don’t like the country your in it isn’t hard to pack your bags and more

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
China already owns our ports, most of our pastoral and massive chunks of land and working properties one that spans two states, we don't even know how much residential they have. How much closer can we get? ;)

You have the truth of it, I know I’m going to be working for the remainder of my life so my Chinese overlord investor can pay off another investment property. We’re their slaves.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Do some traveling and read some books about some other countries and cultures firstly!
Secondly China is a communist dictatorship! Go and read up about their way of life before even commenting how good it is compared to Australia!
Lastly if you don’t like the country your in it isn’t hard to pack your bags and more

Why not just kick out the assholes who have ruined our country? How come banks get to continue breaking laws without losing their license? How come the Catholic Church can still be acknowledged as a religious institution in our country?

Why ask the people who care about this country to piss off?

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Australian way nowadays seems to be to pander towards the criminals and create policies to adapt towards their degeneracy.

The chemically imbalanced degenerate and purveyor of greed and shame, and elected Prime Minister of our Country, Malcolm Turnbull, asked permission from a weird creepy guy who is the Obi-Wan Kenobi of fooling people out of their money, if he could please sack a person who had been covering up child abuse. No arrests, no loss of license as an education provider.

“Pretty please master, can you please sack this guy?”

Back