Opinion Should Betts play on in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a 'No'. When Eddie returned I thought he might be here for one year, and then transition to a coaching/welfare role. And I wondered how he would go this year, and he has played well at times. But I think time is catching up, and I think I'd like to remember Eddie finishing well. He is an inspiration and I hope he will have a long and happy association with CFC...

My only regret this year is none of our draft picks were given any games like other clubs.
I only state this because it would have been good to hit 2022 with guys like Honey Carrol Ramsey Kemp on 10-20 games rather than basically zero.
Sometimes it’s best to go one step back to go 2 steps forward.
2 wasted years given we are no where near making the finals the last 2 years.
I looked at Collingwood and thought Henry looks the goods.
Cannot really say about us given no one has played.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do remember Henry was drafted higher than all those blokes, if our boys were first rounders rather than 3rd rounders and rookie picks (aside from Kemp who's had two serious injuries and played maybe 5 VFL games are most), they probably would've played some more

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do remember Henry was drafted higher than all those blokes, if our boys were first rounders rather than 3rd rounders and rookie picks (aside from Kemp who's had two serious injuries and played maybe 5 VFL games are most), they probably would've played some more

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

One example they have had 8 players debut same with the Hawks.
Adelaide 12 players under 50 games.
Thing is we have a young list overall yet our so called best 22 is fairly old on average every week.
Given what has transpired we failed and this strategy of playing the same old 22 has set us behind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am no on the basis if we want to evolve we need to move past Eddie -- his week to week numbers don't support him and yes he helped us through that middle stage this year but I feel the forward line function better without him and as far as his on field coaching goes our forward connection hasn't seen a huge improvement in the last two years .. maybe he does a better job from the side lines .. surely there is a nice way to do it

Last rookie spot minimum wage maybe?

I’d prefer him to be given a role as a mentor for the indigenous players on AFL & AFLW teams.

He still seems to be our most creative small forward. Owies plays the percentages and applies good pressure but lacks the spark of Eddy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - minimum wage rookie contract with some soft cap expenditure to use him as a forwards coach; or the vice versa, depending on what cap (if any) has more space.

He should play 10-15 only if required (pending Honey/Owies form/injury) and for the most part shouldn’t play for more than 3 consecutive weeks as to let him stay fresh.

Then, sign him as a forward coach and keep him there for the next 20 years

Older players to hold their spot need to be among the best. Having older players on the list who are mediocre is such bad footy its not funny.

Eddie Betts can either be a

high scoring stay at home forward who offers little around the ground.

low scoring forward who offers heaps around the ground

high scoring forward who also offers lots around the ground

He is none of these things as an average scoring forward (in AFL terms) in almost HALF his games this year he has scored ZERO or ONE goal. Outside of this is stats are probably collectively the worst of any non-key forward according to AFL Stats Pro.

That really drags us down when there is no contribution around the ground.

For those that say he is our second highest scorer - he is also the only small forward who has played most of the year. He has great days out and kids 5,3,3 then goes missing for literally months. 8 games of 1 or zero is two months of footy with almost no contribution.

His last game he went for a high flying mark on the wing - and used Cripps neck as his step ladder - almost injuring Cripps and taking himself out of the game.

Later on in the game, he did the same RIDICULOUS attempt at a mark on the WING.

His lack of contribution around the ground is costly and he needs to go.

Yes...but everyone understands it to be a transition year. He's still best 22 and currently ahead of Owies. He'll kick 20 goals in 12 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back