Should both teams from same state play GF in Home state

Remove this Banner Ad

Would they of?
It doesn’t matter anyway because they’re not going to reduce max capacity for the GF. You do realise that only a small amount of members would have access to. People are already mad about the corporates taking all the seats. Basically all the seats would be taken by corporates if it was in Perth.

If you had read some of my posts mate I am an advocate for the GF to stay at the G for the immediate future or what was the existing contract, I was not happy however in the extended contract that’s all and I don’t believe the government would let the MCG go to ruins over only the possibility of losing the GF every now and again in 20 plus years.

Do those states have a venue that can hold up to 100,000 people?
Why do people constantly bring this up, who cares about that, the AFL can easily make that revenue back by charging WA or SA to host the Grand final, and they'd gladly pay.

Super bowl is a far bigger event than the VFL and they never play in a stadium as big as the MCG, 50-70k venues are what NFL teams play.

Should, but would be a logistical nightmare.

If it's a WC vs Freo GF then it would be better for both sides involved if it was in Perth, but why should a WC GF only be in Perth if we play Freo? If you can move the GF then you should move it always. I'd be dark if we went 24-0 for a season then played the GF in Melbourne because we were playing Adelaide when Freo beating Adelaide in the prelim would've had the GF in Perth.

The GF ain't moving for the next 30 or 40 years or whatever the contract is for, and it ain't moving after then either.

The chances of the AFL resembling anything as it does now in 40 years is just as remote as the GF leaving the MCG. Money is going to do the same to this game as it’s done to every other sport in the world.

The chances of the AFL resembling anything as it does now in 40 years is just as remote as the GF leaving the MCG. Money is going to do the same to this game as it’s done to every other sport in the world.

They'll still play the tradition card in 2058 but the reality is that the MCG has 40k more seats than the next biggest oval (Stadium Australia will be a rectangle again) and that will produce the biggest dollar signs in the eyes of the AFL execs.

Why do people constantly bring this up, who cares about that, the AFL can easily make that revenue back by charging WA or SA to host the Grand final, and they'd gladly pay.

Super bowl is a far bigger event than the VFL and they never play in a stadium as big as the MCG, 50-70k venues are what NFL teams play.
70k plus is required for a Super Bowl, plus an array of other things. Meet those requirements and we can talk.

70k plus is required for a Super Bowl, plus an array of other things. Meet those requirements and we can talk.
Optus Stadium can be expanded to hold 70+K.

My problem isn't even with the final being in Melbourne, my problem is the MCG, it's a huge steaming pile of trash.

When I lived in Melbourne I had access to free tickets for nearly any AFL game at the MCG and I rarely went because it's such a horrible stadium unless you get seats up front.

They'll still play the tradition card in 2058 but the reality is that the MCG has 40k more seats than the next biggest oval (Stadium Australia will be a rectangle again) and that will produce the biggest dollar signs in the eyes of the AFL execs.

I agree with that but tradition won’t save some of the clubs once the players and executives greed for money gets higher and higher over the next few decades. In my opinion the chances of a salary cap existing in 30 years is 1% at most. I also believe their will at some point be a group who want to do a Kerry Packer to try and save Aussie rules football. A lot will happen over the next 40 years.

The NFL follow the dollars, exact same policy as the AFL's.

True the list of hosting requirements for the Super Bowl limits the number of potential venues, but the league makes exceptions whenever it suits them.

70,000 max and that's in rectangular mode.

My problem isn't even with the final being in Melbourne, my problem is the MCG, it's a huge steaming pile of trash.

When I lived in Melbourne I had access to free tickets for nearly any AFL game at the MCG and I rarely went because it's such a horrible stadium unless you get seats up front.
Your troll was well hidden until that post

The MCG contract is to 2057
It is very possible that before 2057 something make go wrong with the MCG...structural issues...unsafe areas...concrete cancer...becomes a homeless venue when Victorian state govt runs the state into debt

Has the AFL taken this into consideration since if something major happens it may stop MCG hosting GF for at least 1 year

The MCG contract is to 2057
It is very possible that before 2057 something make go wrong with the MCG...structural issues...unsafe areas...concrete cancer...becomes a homeless venue when Victorian state govt runs the state into debt

Has the AFL taken this into consideration since if something major happens it may stop MCG hosting GF for at least 1 year

I'm sure that as with all contracts, it can be amended with the consent of both parties. There is also quite likely 'force majeure' provisions for extreme events.

More likely situation is if the MCG is out of action due to renovations or an even bigger event (Olympics, soccer world cup...) in which case a one off move might take place (like when they had the game at Waverley due to the construction of the Great Southern stand). In that case, the deal would be renegotiated as required.

The AFL Grand Final is played at the MCG, the home of football.

That is where it should be played.

That is where it will be played.

Forever and ever.

Amen.

This one sided, ignorant, bias thinking where you refuse to even consider the possibility of a change just reminds me of the Deep South.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that but tradition won’t save some of the clubs once the players and executives greed for money gets higher and higher over the next few decades. In my opinion the chances of a salary cap existing in 30 years is 1% at most. I also believe their will at some point be a group who want to do a Kerry Packer to try and save Aussie rules football. A lot will happen over the next 40 years.

Possible, but it needs to be remembered that the AFL took steps to prevent that after superleague.

The AFL owns the IP to just about everything of value at the clubs...name, nickname, song, colours, player contracts...as well as rights to most of the significant venues.

Any breakaway league would start with a pretty much blank slate on small grounds. As time and contracts move on that would improve, but you'd be talking several years of struggle (and massive cost) before it would get very far.

Even if/when they did provide a superior product, and get the bigger clubs on board in fact if not in name, it still would be a struggle to get rusted on fans to move from (for example) Richmond to the 'Punt Road Pumas' with their green and purple strip.

If I had billions of dollars and built a state of the art 150,000 stadium in Perth complete with atmosphere screens that stylishly close off the top tiers when not at capacity (which would be almost always) the AFL still wouldn't have a grand final in Perth, but you will soon see the MCG releasing plans to expand it's capacity to 155,000 seats in 2050.

If you spread the lost revenue from the mcc contribution over 60 000 people the extra cost would be $86 a ticket
Perth Stadium have 40,000 less tickets than the MCG, the loss of revenue would be close to $150 extra per ticket.

The expenses however to move the game at a week's notice would be huge. Perth is one of the most remote cities in the world, accessible quickly only by the air. There is a reason flight prices are always so expensive.

If I had billions of dollars and built a state of the art 150,000 stadium in Perth complete with atmosphere screens that stylishly close off the top tiers when not at capacity (which would be almost always) the AFL still wouldn't have a grand final in Perth, but you will soon see the MCG releasing plans to expand it's capacity to 155,000 seats in 2050.

Considering what a 60K stadium cost, you'd need a lot more than a Billion, but even if you did build such a massive white elephant, you *might* get the occasional GF, but you'd still have the logistic problems of being the most isolated city in the world, which would need to be addressed/resolved before the game was moved.

150K stadium would expect at least 50K of the GF crowd to come from interstate (probably lots more...as in 100K+) and the national transport infrastructure, and to a lesser degree Perth's hotels/restaurants, etc. just couldn't cope.

If you look at what would be required with the current 60K stadium, it's clear that it would be a huge stretch...Bigger would be a huge problem.

Perth Stadium have 40,000 less tickets than the MCG, the loss of revenue would be close to $150 extra per ticket.

The expenses however to move the game at a week's notice would be huge. Perth is one of the most remote cities in the world, accessible quickly only by the air. There is a reason flight prices are always so expensive.

and now try and get the ~30,000 corporates moved to Perth in time, without massively inconveniencing them (no red eye flights or overly lengthy stays) and put them in decent hotels (minimum 3*+, many requiring 5*) or cop the reduced sponsorships that would result.

Oh, and don't forget to pay up for the AFL members who would require compensation for their GF access deal being broken.

Last edited:
Considering what a 60K stadium cost, you'd need a lot more than a Billion, but even if you did build such a massive white elephant, you *might* get the occasional GF, but you'd still have the logistic problems of being the most isolated city in the world, which would need to be addressed/resolved before the game was moved.

150K stadium would expect at least 50K of the GF crowd to come from interstate (probably lots more...as in 100K+) and the national transport infrastructure, and to a lesser degree Perth's hotels/restaurants, etc. just couldn't cope.

If you look at what would be required with the current 60K stadium, it's clear that it would be a huge stretch...Bigger would be a huge problem.

I could marry Musk and build a hyperlink rail between the East and West coasts that can move 30,000 people a day and it wouldn't make a difference.

I could marry Musk and build a hyperlink rail between the East and West coasts that can move 30,000 people a day and it wouldn't make a difference.

Considering it'd be broken most of the time, I doubt it would actually.

But it would help a lot if they did.

Mind you, if you were throwing that kind of money around, you could probably just pay the AFL enough to convince them.

Considering it'd be broken most of the time, I doubt it would actually.

But it would help a lot if they did.

Mind you, if you were throwing that kind of money around, you could probably just pay the AFL enough to convince them.
I'd build my stadium in Broome and build the greatest squad of indigenous talent to play there if I had that money. I'd get zoning access to so much talent.

Possible, but it needs to be remembered that the AFL took steps to prevent that after superleague.

The AFL owns the IP to just about everything of value at the clubs...name, nickname, song, colours, player contracts...as well as rights to most of the significant venues.

Any breakaway league would start with a pretty much blank slate on small grounds. As time and contracts move on that would improve, but you'd be talking several years of struggle (and massive cost) before it would get very far.

Even if/when they did provide a superior product, and get the bigger clubs on board in fact if not in name, it still would be a struggle to get rusted on fans to move from (for example) Richmond to the 'Punt Road Pumas' with their green and purple strip.

It would be very naive in the world we currently live in and where it’s heading to not believe it’s possible to roll the current AFL set up over the next 40 years. And it’s not necessarily that they are totally stuffing it up it’s more to do with simply player wants for money as the decades come and go. There is not a chance in hell that the existing 18 clubs in the AFL are all still in the top league in 20-40 years. The money simply won’t make it possible to sustain them.

Anyway mate good luck with your Tigers tonight, I reckon you will win and hopefully we will be there to match off against you next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back