Society/Culture Should cannabis be legalised?

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems even Abbott is not objecting.

Given how the issue has been a poll winner in the US, I suspect the days of publicly vigorously resisting law reform may be over

But like Vic libs, they may just go another route, such as dragging out the process to make it ineffective or sabotaging efforts in a way that is less visible

It seems even Abbott is not objecting.

Given how the issue has been a poll winner in the US, I suspect the days of publicly vigorously resisting law reform may be over

But like Vic libs, they may just go another route, such as dragging out the process to make it ineffective or sabotaging efforts in a way that is less visible
I think Abbott knows the vast majority of the "legalise pot" crowd won't be voting for him under any circumstances. He'll simply avoid saying anything.

I think Abbott knows the vast majority of the "legalise pot" crowd won't be voting for him under any circumstances. He'll simply avoid saying anything.

Pretty much.

If the ALP support such a move, then they'll lose a few voters to the Libs(any significant change in policy risks alienating a few people after all), but pick up a few Greens voters by reducing the differences between those parties (swinging voters between ALP/Green for whom pot policy was the deciding factor).
If the Libs respond by saying/doing nothing, they'll lose nothing and maybe pick up those few votes.
The Greens would lose a few voters as mentioned.

Most of those who would consider going ALP->Lib would tend to be older/rusted on anyway, so I doubt there would be much of a change. The Greens loss however would be the younger demographic, so long term, it's probably an ALP 'win'.

This is incorrect.

There is widespread popular public support for law reform in the US. Nothing to do with a legalize it crowd.

Most polls on the issue found popular swings in favor of candidates who were pro reform. We are talking about widespread public antipathy towards the war on drugs and medicinal bans, not just firnge elements.

I think the governments here are simply looking at the US experience, especially conservative experience and taking note. People positively respond to candidates who don't oppose law reform, or even action it. However, the difference will be that Aus politicians are more likely to simply pay lip service. They don't oppose it, or like Vic libs, even make positive moves towards, but mostly it is insubstantial.

Most of those who would consider going ALP->Lib would tend to be older/rusted on anyway, so I doubt there would be much of a change. The Greens loss however would be the younger demographic, so long term, it's probably an ALP 'win'.
Faulty analysis predicated on the assumption that it is only a small set of greens voters who are for reform. I suggest a majority of the Australian public would support medicinal use, regardless of party affiliation.

It took the yanks a while to clue into this, yet despite significant industry, public sector and interest group resistance politicians on both sides have realised voters resonate with the issue

Faulty analysis predicated on the assumption that it is only a small set of greens voters who are for reform. I suggest a majority of the Australian public would support medicinal use, regardless of party affiliation.

It took the yanks a while to clue into this, yet despite significant industry, public sector and interest group resistance politicians on both sides have realised voters resonate with the issue

I believe I mentioned that the numbers would be relatively few.

Not as bad as booze and legalise it if you want but it's not totally 'harmless' like bong heads would make you believe.

Pot is lame as **** anyway and for mainly kids that don't know any better, if you are gonna do a drug may as well do one of the good ones.
"Grow up and do coke like an adult" - Daniel Tosh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as bad as booze and legalise it if you want but it's not totally 'harmless' like bong heads would make you believe.

Pot is lame as **** anyway and for mainly kids that don't know any better, if you are gonna do a drug may as well do one of the good ones.

Congratulations on one of the dumber posts on BigFooty. That's saying something.

Oh hai pot head.

It is a dumb post dude - calling me a pothead doesn't help that. It's silly and uninformed. You also don't know me. It would be like me calling you an alcoholic or a crackhead without ever meeting you...

It is a dumb post dude - calling me a pothead doesn't help that. It's silly and uninformed.
Nah Cheech, it's informed, pot is in no way whatsoever totally 'harmless'. This is also coming from someone that smoked it themselves for a few years.
What is the percentage of people adversely impacted by pot compared to alcohol users?

Don't be confused by total numbers.
I know a drug and alcohol counsillor, she says she has a lot of a clients that come in with marijuana issues which surprised me.

Nah Cheech, it's informed, pot is in no way whatsoever totally 'harmless'. This is also coming from someone that smoked it themselves for a few years.

No s**t it's not totally 'harmless'. Water isn't totally 'harmless' either.

I'm talking about this stupid line - "Pot is lame as **** anyway and for mainly kids that don't know any better". That is one of the dumbest sentences I've ever seen written on here.

Would cigarettes and alcohol be legalised today if just introduced.

Even vape is being outlawed in San Fran

There is no need to legalise recreational use. Just bong on discretely and in private

What is the percentage of people adversely impacted by pot compared to alcohol users?

Don't be confused by total numbers.
There's was a massive study out of the UK from Professor David Nutt that would answer this question and more. If you read the report with pre-conceived ideals like the UK government though, you might not like the results.

There's was a massive study out of the UK from Professor David Nutt that would answer this question and more. If you read the report with pre-conceived ideals like the UK government though, you might not like the results.

I haven't read every article of David Nutt but the one's I have seen, he comes across as a con man trying to mislead and deceive.

He does this by confusing issues of medical marijuana and recreational use:

"200 million US citizens now have access to medical marijuana and 100 million can legally buy recreational cannabis. Seventeen other countries including Holland, Belgium and Germany have made cannabis a medicine. Israel has opened the world’s first university course in medical marijuana. Yet in the UK all the government can say to the requests of the patient community is their infantile mantra: drugs are harmful – cannabis is a drug, and so it is harmful, so we will keep it illegal.

This simplistic approach is flawed in many ways. Morphine is illegal when used recreationally – yet is allowed for therapeutic purposes – so why not cannabis, a herb with a long tradition in medicine? Prohibition denies patients access and, worse, means they can be actively persecuted for its use. It is estimated that at least 30,000 people a day in the UK break the cannabis laws by using it for medicinal purposes, and if they are caught then they must be prosecuted, as there is no longer a defence of medical necessity."

1) The US has recreational use dressed up as medical. Having dodgy prescriptions and smoking a bong is not medical use.......it is recreational.
2) Then comparing Morphine, which has proper controls is lunacy. Again smoking a bong can not be compared to the proper controls around morphine
3) 30,000 people smoking a bong in the UK is not medical use

If he wants to be credibile, just come out and say, he wants to legalise recreation use.

If he only wants medical use, then lets start talking about drug research, 8-10 year trials, controlled manufacturing of products under licence and controls, insurance, prescriptions by medical practitioners, the pharmaceutical benefits scheme etc etc.

I'm a big believer in the opportunity of medical marijuana and even owned marijuana farms supply to the US defence force. I'm also happy for people to discretely pull a bong on the occasion.

I am however concerned for regular bongs smokers, their kids, those they share the roads with, those they work with etc etc. I'm also concerned about guys like David Nutt, confusing very separate issues for their own agenda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back