Should chairing players off be for champions only?

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I know some players have been very important or popular in their teams. Or maybe had a lot of adversity in their career or life. The club and players feel they should be chaired off.

To me its one of - if not the greatest honour a player can receive.

Should this be an honour given to the greats or very special cases?
It seems to me it's given a little too frequently to "average" players. At least on the surface.

Not sure what prompted this thread, but I thought Shaun Higgins deserved the chair off from the two captains. Gave us years of amazing work

Is this directed at Shaun Higgins or Shannon Hurn?

is this about multiple B+F winning All Australian 250 gamer Shaun Higgins after he gave multiple great years to the club he was playing against and was honoured for that OR premiership captain, multiple AA Shannon Hurn in 300 games and the record games holder for his club? Do they not deserve respect>?

is this about multiple B+F winning All Australian 250 gamer Shaun Higgins after he gave multiple great years to the club he was playing against and was honoured for that OR premiership captain, multiple AA Shannon Hurn in 300 games and the record games holder for his club? Do they not deserve respect>?
Lots of talented players don't make it to 150 games, let alone 250. You would think with such a take that OP is secretly an AFL player in the 300 club. Surely.

Lots of talented players don't make it to 150 games, let alone 250. You would think with such a take that OP is secretly an AFL player in the 300 club. Surely.
Attention seeking post, Im putting the house on Kane Cornes burner account

What a dumb thread

Some people/fans are just miserable/negative nellies

I can see why some fans would have an issue with players having a guard of honour from opposition players who have reached a significant milestone (ie 300 or 350 plus games etc) but I like both gestures, it shows a level of respect of gentlemanly respect that makes our code unique/different to any other football

The guard of honour Port Players gave Kade Simpson after his 300th game a few years ago was all class btw (from my perspective)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what prompted this thread, but I thought Shaun Higgins deserved the chair off from the two captains. Gave us years of amazing work

Suspect it was about Hurn in the WCE game

Some people/fans are just miserable/negative nellies

I can see why some fans would have an issue with players having a guard of honour from opposition players who have reached a significant milestone (ie 300 or 350 plus games etc) but I like both gestures, it shows a level of respect of gentlemanly respect that makes our code unique/different to any other football

The guard of honour Port Players gave Kade Simpson after his 300th game a few years ago was all class btw (from my perspective)

Who has an issue with that? The only thing I disagree with is when the commentators fawn over what a 'classy gesture' it is. It's nice and all but the precedent has long ago been set and the opposition would come off as complete and utter dicks if they didn't do it.

James Kelly getting chaired off by a Geelong and Essendon player (Selwood and might have been Stokes, given I think it was 2016) was the first time I saw a milestone player recognised that way and thought it was pretty cool, glad that's become a regular thing.

I know some players have been very important or popular in their teams. Or maybe had a lot of adversity in their career or life. The club and players feel they should be chaired off.

It seems to me it's given a little too frequently to "average" players. At least on the surface.

AFL media expert and most polular talent on TV Damo Damien "The Purple Warrior" Barrett to decide in the #1 column "Sliding Doors" which players have earned the right...
IF
They are good blokes
THEN
They get the chair off.

I don't see why they do it anymore. They awkwardly pick a guy up, usually on the shoulders of the two players with the biggest height difference. They carry them 2.5 meters until they go over the white line and then dump them back on the ground for them to walk the rest of the way.
Good for a newspaper photo, I guess.

Every player is a called a "champion" these days.

Its embarrassing to watch some of the players that get chaired off these days. Id bet there'd be a few that refused it.
Leave it for the champions or special cases.
I get that it's subjective who is worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back